Toast Tom Stewart extends contract until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Done very well to get a long term deal being over 30.
Should get him to 220-240 games in the hoops.

The late start to an AFL career obviously has them rating his longevity, which is something I'd been hoping. He'll be 34.5 years old at the end of the 2027 season.

I know Blicavs has more miles in the legs but ideally we see something similar with him. Getting him to the end of the 2026 season would see him 35.5 years old and 300 games. That's ambitious but he's an athletic freak.

Then we have Cameron and Guthrie left as the blokes trying to last the distance once Danger, Duncan, Hawkins and co are gone. Both big unknowns at this point, especially after injury issues this year. I'd he hoping for that 2026 mark. 2025 at worst.

Anyway well done to Tom. I wonder if this makes captaincy more likely?

Stewart not being much of a ‘bash and crash’ type defender probably helps his cause as far as getting to the end of that contract goes. He’s been very durable and athletically sound and hasn’t had to rely on freakish pace or anything for his effectiveness, he’s a skill and read-the-game type player and those attributes never disappear, along with strength which is what we’ve seen at the other end of the field with his namesake so no real reason at this stage to suspect that he can’t go close to fulfilling that deal.

Fantastic! The team seriously struggles when he’s not playing so would have been a tragedy if he left the club

What's the highest ever draft pick haul for a 31+ year old defender?
Suspect Carlton, Brisbane and Port Adelaide would have broken the bank and smashed all records for him. I think Melbourne paid 2 first rounders for Lever and Stewart is many times the footballer. I'm happy we kept him but if trading for the future Stewart was the one that we could have got a big price for even at 31.

DEPENDS ON HOW MANY FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS WE COULD HAVE GOT FOR HIM.

Only 1 pick after our r1 as he would have been an RFA which was one reason why it was good to sign him.

Suspect Carlton, Brisbane and Port Adelaide would have broken the bank and smashed all records for him. I think Melbourne paid 2 first rounders for Lever and Stewart is many times the footballer. I'm happy we kept him but if trading for the future Stewart was the one that we could have got a big price for even at 31.
It actually wasn't a rhetorical question though. I was genuinely wondering.

Maybe I should rephrase. Has there ever been a deal for a defender worth more than a first round draft pick, when they're aged over 28?

I agree about the Stewart/Lever comparison but Lever was a lot younger and all that time is inevitably worth a fair bit.

It would be ground breaking territory to put a big offer to Geelong for a 31 year old back flanker, let's put it that way.

It actually wasn't a rhetorical question though. I was genuinely wondering.

Maybe I should rephrase. Has there ever been a deal for a defender worth more than a first round draft pick, when they're aged over 28?

I agree about the Stewart/Lever comparison but Lever was a lot younger and all that time is inevitably worth a fair bit.

It would be ground breaking territory to put a big offer to Geelong for a 31 year old back flanker, let's put it that way.

Except that teams wouldn't necessarily have needed to put any offer to Geelong

Stewart would have been a RFA at the end of next season, so unless we matched any potential offer, it would most likely be a single pick in return - just a question of Band 1 vs Band 2

Except that teams wouldn't necessarily have needed to put any offer to Geelong

Stewart would have been a RFA at the end of next season, so unless we matched any potential offer, it would most likely be a single pick in return - just a question of Band 1 vs Band 2
I see, well bombersboy has an answer.

I was legitimately asking about past trades though, I was wondering if clubs have ever made a big trade offer for an experienced (nearing or past 30 years old) defender. I wasn't saying they could do the same for Stewart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see, well bombersboy has an answer.

I was legitimately asking about past trades though, I was wondering if clubs have ever made a big trade offer for an experienced (nearing or past 30 years old) defender. I wasn't saying they could do the same for Stewart.

Hard to think of many big or crazy trades for those over 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back