Player Watch Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely wasn’t present much.
Used to be a big possession winner, now just appears infrequently.
Was a great pickup last yr so can’t knock, but may have to accept now he’s purely a bit part player.
Can we carry that thou?
Mitchell filled a role we were weak in, more suited and less injury prone than Adams. Our middle is changing, the weakness diminishing. There were games last year he seemed to have little impact but, as posted, delivered when it mattered. Can't see him being pushed out of the side in a hurry but when the bell tolls it will be over. Doubt its a form issue.

How's the over reactions to one match? It's laughable.
So true.It was only round zero after all,and it was the earliest start to a season in history,early March.I don’t think premierships are decided in March.The way we played last night was eerily like our game against the Lions at the Gabba early last year.Even the final score was very similar.Hopefully we can rebound from this game just like we rebounded from the Lions game last year.

So true.It was only round zero after all,and it was the earliest start to a season in history,early March.I don’t think premierships are decided in March.The way we played last night was eerily like our game against the Lions at the Gabba early last year.Even the final score was very similar.Hopefully we can rebound from this game just like we rebounded from the Lions game last year.
I'm truly shocked that people didn't think Giants were primed for a performance like that last night. They'd warned us all pre-season how much it meant to them to beat us. And anyone who didn't realise what a quality side they are didn't watch much footy last year.

We had 2 of our best tall defenders out & some people are blaming a debutante. We didn't bring the same intensity as they did, they clearly wanted it more than us & it showed.

It was a good match to start off with. Probably the toughest. The boys will be under no illusions about what level they need to bring. And I have no doubt they will.

In my opinion Mitchell was subbed because he is a defensive mid and we were chasing the game, I dont think he was subbed out due to performance
Apparently we won the clearances, it didn't look that way on TV. Mitchell will play some huge roles for us this year. It just looked like he was having a shocker, as did most of the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my opinion Mitchell was subbed because he is a defensive mid and we were chasing the game, I dont think he was subbed out due to performance
I agree, the sub is strategic, we needed more run. I don't think he was having such a bad game, not more than many of our mids around him. Game didn't suit him though, the ball was coming out of the middle too quick.

I'm truly shocked that people didn't think Giants were primed for a performance like that last night. They'd warned us all pre-season how much it meant to them to beat us. And anyone who didn't realise what a quality side they are didn't watch much footy last year.

We had 2 of our best tall defenders out & some people are blaming a debutante. We didn't bring the same intensity as they did, they clearly wanted it more than us & it showed.

It was a good match to start off with. Probably the toughest. The boys will be under no illusions about what level they need to bring. And I have no doubt they will.
Completely agree.

A team at home who lost by a point in the prelim to the team that beat them in that prelim and went on to win the flag. Their hearts and minds were burning all summer after that. That's dangerous for everyone else because the loss has made them hungry and harder. It's ok though. In some ways it's good to get that dose of reality because Premiers or not if you're not on and not willing to die for it, you're going to get killed.

On the flip side we wasted a lot of chances early and it is just round 1. You're going to drop games it's The AFL and sport plain and simple. It's a long, long season. Better now than later.

We didn't bring the same intensity as they did, they clearly wanted it more than us & it showed.
That’s a bit too Narrative Street for me. We won the clearances, the i50’s and had more scoring shots (enough to win on expected score anyway) and “they clearly wanted it more than us and it showed”?

I think we wanted it just as much and weren’t good enough. We didn’t try to negate Taylor like we did Harris Andrews, we didn’t lower our eyes enough, we were fumbly, Elliott/Schultz/WHE etc. were wasteful in front of goal resulting in 11-point-turnarounds, we lacked system in defence with a debutant on one of the league’s best forwards… all of these things had a significant influence on the result, much more so than a nebulous assessment of desire.

That’s a bit too Narrative Street for me. We won the clearances, the i50’s and had more scoring shots (enough to win on expected score anyway) and “they clearly wanted it more than us and it showed”?

I think we wanted it just as much and weren’t good enough. We didn’t try to negate Taylor like we did Harris Andrews, we didn’t lower our eyes enough, we were fumbly, Elliott/Schultz/WHE etc. were wasteful in front of goal resulting in 11-point-turnarounds, we lacked system in defence with a debutant on one of the league’s best forwards… all of these things had a significant influence on the result, much more so than a nebulous assessment of desire.
Well we'll have to agree to disagree. I think for large chunks of the game we didn't bring the same intensity as they did, particularly in the second half.

You only need to be a little bit off for it be detrimental. Particularly against a highly quality opponent like Giants. Their pressure forced us to make mistakes, the fumbling, panicking & inaccuracy. And when things are going your way & you have the momentum like they did more often than we did, it makes all the difference.

Giants have been brewing over this since September last year & had a big point to prove. I'm not surprised by last night's result at all.

Agree, absolutely not having Howe & Murphy in the side with a debutante as the replacement was not helpful at all.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. I think for large chunks of the game we didn't bring the same intensity as they did, particularly in the second half.

You only need to be a little bit off for it be detrimental. Particularly against a highly quality opponent like Giants. Their pressure forced us to make mistakes, the fumbling, panicking & inaccuracy.
Occam’s razor says that the best kind of pressure is scoreboard pressure, and we were not in a position to make use of it in the second half when you noticed a difference. It explains fumbling, mistakes and inaccuracy a lot more neatly than a lack of desire.

Elliot and Schultz both miss fairly easy shots from 35 out then GWS took it down the other end and scored both times. Two 11 point turn arounds, after that we dropped our heads a bit and the giants kicked a few quick ones and game over

Elliot and Schultz both miss fairly easy shots from 35 out then GWS took it down the other end and scored both times. Two 11 point turn arounds, after that we dropped our heads a bit and the giants kicked a few quick ones and game over

Correct.

Yes. Dropped our heads a bit. Doesn't need to be much against a quality side who had a major point to prove.

Will he have lost his spot to Fin by season's end?

Might happen as early as Friday night. Would back him in to get back but if they're keen to give Macrae a run, Mitchell just gave them the perfect opportunity. I'd be confident we'd see an improved performance from Mitchell should he hold his spot, but he's left the door ajar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back