Player Watch Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a real head scratcher for me. Surely no club wants to intentionally bottom out anymore - knowing how long it can keep you at the bottom. Why did the Hawks punt him cheaply?
I have a cynical opinion that Sam Mitchell wants to “ de-Clarkson” the place.

It's a real head scratcher for me. Surely no club wants to intentionally bottom out anymore - knowing how long it can keep you at the bottom. Why did the Hawks punt him cheaply?
Well it wasn’t really cheap, Cooper Stephens is talent and 40 & 51 can be packaged for a good pick with others, we just have no use for him playing him on a HFF instead of in the guts!

feel like his addition is being completely undersold. We added him for nothing, and hawks are paying a lot. He’s exactly what we lack, a clean clearance mid to get the ball to daicos x 2, lippa etc. it also allows Nicky d and Degoey to spend more time forward. I’m so excited by his addition
Don’t think we are paying much if at all of his contract.

AND O'Meara in the one trade period.

There's a tipping point where you can lose too much experience so they're dicing with danger.

Well it wasn’t really cheap, Cooper Stephens is talent and 40 & 51 can be packaged for a good pick with others, we just have no use for him playing him on a HFF instead of in the guts!
40 and 51 will come in a fair few spots with pick matching, but even so, this isn't looking like the draft to be trying to trade out or up, as most lists are pretty full with clubs not taking many so that devalues later picks and next year's draft is supposedly more highly rated. I hope you're right with Stephens.

You'd already shifted O'Meara - surely there is still a midfield spot for him.

AND O'Meara in the one trade period.

There's a tipping point where you can lose too much experience so they're dicing with danger.
Totally agree. And Gunston. I think it's nuts, particularly when you add in the indigenous scandal. Definite possibility that they are heading for a period of basket case.

40 and 51 will come in a fair few spots with pick matching, but even so, this isn't looking like the draft to be trying to trade out or up, as most lists are pretty full with clubs not taking many so that devalues later picks and next year's draft is supposedly more highly rated. I hope you're right with Stephens.

You'd already shifted O'Meara - surely there is still a midfield spot for him.
Nope, Sam wants the kids to have all the mid time, no point Tom dominating it doesn’t teach the kids much as there’s not many mids like him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, Sam wants the kids to have all the mid time, no point Tom dominating it doesn’t teach the kids much as there’s not many mids like him.
I think it's really flawed thinking.

Kids develop better in a decent team.
Heaps of the star mids spent their formative years developing on a flank with occasional midfield rotations. Why doe he need these kids to play only mid? Doesn't look to me like he's got a big batch of quality young mids who are starved of opportunity.

I think it's really flawed thinking.

Kids develop better in a decent team.
Heaps of the star mids spent their formative years developing on a flank with occasional midfield rotations. Why doe he need these kids to play only mid? Doesn't look to me like he's got a big batch of quality young mids who are starved of opportunity.
Is what it is, opens up some spots for more kids so guess that’s the end thinking.

Good luck packaging those picks. They don’t seem to hold a lot of interest this year. We also had 50 which will likely expire worthless

I reckon you’ll end up taking them to the draft.

I think on balance it was a good trade for hawthorn, a great trade for Collingwood, and a very expensive trade for Geelong if you take into account the pick switch they had to do to gain pick 25. They sold the farm for that pick and then they still had to give up Stephens on top of that.

I didn’t say he was going to be a in and under clearance pig, but nick will be protected for a while yet until the body is strong enough to withstand the rigours of being a mid.

Got it?
You literally said his job is to mark time until Nick comes in. I’m saying you’re wrong, and that he’s not there to protect Nick. He’s there to feed the ball to him.

Got it?

Totally agree. And Gunston. I think it's nuts, particularly when you add in the indigenous scandal. Definite possibility that they are heading for a period of basket case.

Was either cash in now or lose them next year for nothing.

There was no way Mitchell and JOM are extending on their contracts from 2023 on wards, especially given we consider them surplus to requirements two seasons running. We at least maximised their value (albeit probably less true market value) for two players who clearly did not fit in the way that Sam wants to play his footy. From watching both Box Hill last year and Hawthorn this year, the Sam Mitchell blueprint puts an emphasis on the speed of ball movement which is the antithesis to how Mitchell and JOM (and Clarkson) play.

I have a cynical opinion that Sam Mitchell wants to “ de-Clarkson” the place.
Clarkson got rid of the bulk of the senior experienced players when he took over at the Hawks. If anything it feels like Sam is trying to replicate that, but with a far less talented core of youth.

Clarkson got rid of the bulk of the senior experienced players when he took over at the Hawks. If anything it feels like Sam is trying to replicate that, but with a far less talented core of youth.
Trying to say Mitch Lewis and Jacob Koschitzke aren't Buddy and Roughead 2.0? :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back