Tom Mitchell's kicking...

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's part: his strengths don't align with how our midfield needs to play going forward - part: he's still here and too good not to play seniors - part: he's still a bloody good player and will find a way to be among the best performers even if it's perhaps sometimes at the expense of the way we should be playing.
I like him as a mid-fwd because he can get possies in dangerous spots and stuff but he does need to play more midfield, had 9 CBAs to Jaeger's 17? he's better than Jaeger and they're similar ages, i'd rather he is in there feeding it out than Jaeger who can do the HFF role really well.

Our best midfield games this year, Brisbane and Geelong games Titch and Duke were 2 of the best on the ground. It's not a coincidence.

View attachment 1418072

View attachment 1418073
vSoqZJvY.jpg

Just because you look at stats and a computer formula spits out that a player is "Elite"
Doesn't mean its true.
Stats are misleading.
If we play West Coast twice and North Melbourne twice anyone's stats are going to be inflated.
Stats are half truths.
Like kicking a ball at your team mates feet which in turn he stumbles picks it up ......it causes perceived pressure and the turnover happens...which happened on the weekend causing goals.
Back in the day with Rohan Smith, Brad Johnson confirmed they had a little trick where they would share the ball around to inflate their stats.
Stats are half truths.
Its a tool that player managers can roll out at contract time and say look my boy has got 35 disposals.
We want 800k.-1m a year.
Its inflated players egos and their pockets.

Mitchell has a bit of Timmy Clarke about him.

Runs hard, calls for the ball, gets unconsted marks on the boundary, holds up play and kicks short to a contest.
Happens way too often and doesn't help the team.

The stark contrast is Sam Mitchell who would often get the ball in a similar position but make a quick decisions and fire off a pass. (Often a short pass to someone on their own - but the decision was fast and the kick low and fast and it was usually towards the corridor).

Just because you look at stats and a computer formula spits out that a player is "Elite"
Doesn't mean its true.
Stats are misleading.
If we play West Coast twice and North Melbourne twice anyone's stats are going to be inflated.
Stats are half truths.
Like kicking a ball at your team mates feet which in turn he stumbles picks it up ......it causes perceived pressure and the turnover happens...which happened on the weekend causing goals.
Back in the day with Rohan Smith, Brad Johnson confirmed they had a little trick where they would share the ball around to inflate their stats.
Stats are half truths.
Its a tool that player managers can roll out at contract time and say look my boy has got 35 disposals.
We want 800k.-1m a year.
Its inflated players egos and their pockets.
Tanami: "show me facts"
Reply: shows facts
Tanami: "no, not those facts!"

Tanami: "show me facts"
Reply: shows facts
Tanami: "no, not those facts!"
Just because you base your opinion on what goes in the Herald Sun on Mondays that's fine ...I don't. !

So your "elite" because you average 35 disposals.

Here's a funny one for you...Brenton Stanton being booed by his own supporters.

The general consensus about Stanton is that he’s soft.

Ponder these numbers though: he’s averaging a career-high five tackles per game, a career-high three clearances and his contested possession numbers have increased by eight per cent from 2010.

What more does the man have to do?

Unfortunately, Essendon supporters are stuck in this mindset that Stanton is soft and can do no good.

YES- we did ponders the NUMBERS and we and the Essendon supporters deemed he was soft for racking up the numbers !!.

On a side note the journo made a big deal about his "career high three clearances".....that's funny how we judge numbers as career high ...and it was 3. ????

Supercoach is like Instagram...its fashion for footballers .

By all means base YOUR opinion on Super Coach.

But some of us judge efforts a different way.

Just because you base your opinion on what goes in the Herald Sun on Mondays that's fine ...I don't. !

Ponder these numbers though: he’s averaging a career-high five tackles per game, a career-high three clearances and his contested possession numbers have increased by eight per cent from 2010.

Unfortunately, Essendon supporters are stuck in this mindset that Stanton is soft and can do no good.

YES- we did ponders the NUMBERS and we and the Essendon supporters deemed he was soft for racking up the numbers !!.

On a side note the journo made a big deal about his "career high three clearances".....that's funny how we judge numbers as career high ...and it was 3. ????

I’m sorry you’re not soft if you’re averaging 5 effective tackles 😂

1654573778716.jpeg

Mitchell has been elite his whole career at getting the ball. Can’t deny that. And his contested possessions and clearances are up this year from his career average even if his total possessions are down.

But he still ranks outside the top 10 for both. While he is strong in this area I don’t think it’s enough to keep his status as an elite mid when his disposal has gone downhill.

He can still find the ball but without the hurt factor with it too many other mids have gone past him.

Not sure why Tom's kicking impairs the view of him being elite, especially when recent Brownlow winners and AA mids having much worse kicking efficiency, like Wines, Dangerfield, Oliver, Fyfe. Yet all of those are easily classed as elite players.

It’s increasingly clear to me that we are moving passed him, and I would assume it’s increasing clear to Tom too.

Tbh what I would love from Tom after the bye… just come out dig his heals in say he loves the team and just play the ultimate team game supporting Worpel and jai and Nash to play in the middle.

Now I’m not sure he can, and whether it means he still gets better offers and leaves but he will be a better player for the team if he can.

Go back to what made him so good, fast handballs, spread and safe kicks forward with no hesitation, stop running in front of players to try get the ball and then just block and Shephard for jai, and let Worpel play in his role (if he gets back) or Nash.

(If he can put on a tad more size I reckon it would be a big help, looks leaner then his good years)

His good enough to do all of the above but is he as team first as hodgey? Bring out his inner hodge. WWHD

Tbh what I would love from Tom after the bye… just come out dig his heals in say he loves the team and just play the ultimate team game supporting Worpel and jai and Nash to play in the middle.

Now I’m not sure he can, and whether it means he still gets better offers and leaves but he will be a better player for the team if he can.

Go back to what made him so good, fast handballs, spread and safe kicks forward with no hesitation, stop running in front of players to try get the ball and then just block and Shephard for jai, and let Worpel play in his role (if he gets back) or Nash.

(If he can put on a tad more size I reckon it would be a big help, looks leaner then his good years)

His good enough to do all of the above but is he as team first as hodgey? Bring out his inner hodge. WWHD
"Let Worpel play in his role" dude, he was the whole time. Titch has played out of position to make others better and to let Worpel get into games and he only got worse and dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also i do see that he is leaner, i noted it in the pre season that it may of been a ploy to try cover the ground better and get back to what he was younger (still the elite inside game) but trying to improve physically on the outside. Seems from pre season to now he's gained a little back but still not as "big" by muscle as 2018.

Tom Mitchell has good games, where he has real impact, and he has ordinary games where he racks up stats but has no impact because of poor disposal. Sunday was a case in point. Overall, he is a valuable player but his stats are not a reliable guide to his impact or value in any particular game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back