Past Tom Rockliff (2008-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to laugh at Chins McGuire. Dermott Brereton is obviously a fan and Eddie can't bear to hear about anything to do with the Lions. Last night he was complaining that Dermie brings up Rockliff every week.:D

Tom Rockliff to play 100th game for Brisbane Lions, proved many critics wrong

TOM Rockliff loves to prove people wrong. He has been steadily doing it for 99 games for the Lions. Written off as too small and slow as an under-age player and then for failing to impact the game with his possessions in his early years in the big league, the Lions vice-captain is now an AFL star and a contender to earn his first All Australian selection. Despite kicking a bag of goals in a Murray Bushrangers side that went on to win that year’s TAC Cup, he was overlooked in the draft because recruiters did not believe he could play in the midfield.

“I have always been told since I was 10 or 11 that I wasn’t good enough to make it at the top level, that I would be a good country footballer,’’ Rockliff said.
“I think people putting me down has always given me a little bit of extra motivation. You always want to prove people wrong. “I finally got a chance with Brisbane and I am forever grateful for that opportunity.’’ Those years playing forward with a direct opponent paid off for player and club as Rockliff developed the ability to win one-on-one contests. He was a high possession winner from the moment he cemented his spot in the side in 2010. It is what he now does with the footy that has elevated him to the game’s elite. According to Allan, the great draft steal is “hurting sides now’’.

188355-b60159ee-21cb-11e4-9f70-d4e11a67955c.jpg

The one story that really impressed me about Tom was the one about the lengths he went to in the off-off-season following his first year at the club.

The one thing you can assure about Tom is that he will extract absolutely everything in order to get the best out himself.

i know he's now FINALLY getting some due recognition ,but his numbers are insane. Just imagine if it were a Melb based player. Wouldn't be a hint of second guessing re an AA position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Managed to put down 20 bucks on Rocky to have most brownlow votes at 101-1 a month or two ago. I certainly hope he does...
101-1 is massive odds, I managed to get on at $31-1 without Ablett market at the start of July and I thought those odds were great.

Probably haven't won enough games as has been mentioned but he's played some massive games and caught the attention of umpires towards the end of last year so it'll be interesting to see how he polls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back