Traded Tommy Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys, been writing some previews to start the weeks VFL match that features the Bendigo Bombers, always include opposition players to watch, so thought you guys might want to look over the preview I wrote.

This weeks sees Bendigo and Sandringham take part in the match of the round (statistically speaking), with both sides sitting pretty near the top of the table with 4 wins and one loss respectively.

FORM:

Both sides sit pretty in the top 8, with Bendigo (4th - 4 wins, 1 loss) traveling to Trevor Barker Oval to play VFL powerhouse Sandringham (6th - 4 wins, 1 loss). Having lost last week to local rival Port Melbourne, Sandringham will want to bounce back with a strong performance over the rejuvenated Bendogp Bombers outfit. Bendigo on the other hand, having dropped the first game of the year to last years runners up, the Northern Bullants, have won the past 4 games on the trot, by an average winning margin of 34 points, something they have not done since the stand alone days of the Bendigo Pioneers.

RECENT HISTORY:

Round 8, 2009: Sandringham 20.16.136 Def Bendigo 3.6.24

GOALS: Sandringham: N.Sautner 8, D.Gallagher 2, N.Heyne 2,
Bendigo: B.Holmes, S.Weekly, S.Stroobants

BEST: Sandringham: J.Steven, R.Stanley, D.Gallagher, L.Fisher, P.Summers, A.Biddlecomb
Bendigo: T.German, B.Prismall, J.Redpath, J.Flaherety, J.Atkinson, A.Welsh

In a lopsided affair, goal kicking machine Nick Sautner had a field day against a very inexperienced Bendigo lineup, finishing with 8 goals. Adding insult to injury for the Bombers, was the injury list at this point was insurmountable and was only to get worse at this point.

Round 16, 2009: Sandringham 14.15.99 Def Bendigo 12.8.80 (Windy Hill)

GOALS: Sandringham: N.Heyne 5, N.Sautner 4, D.Armitage 2, A.Smith 2,
Bendigo: R.Magin 2, J.Bristow 2, S.Page 2,

BEST: Sandringham: J.Geary, P.Summers, A.Smith, D.Gallagher, T.Simpkin, W.Johnson

In a good hard fought contest, Sandringham piled on 4 goals in each of the second and third quarters to essentially put the contest to rest, with only some late goal kicking from Bendigo (5 goals in the 4th quarter) saving Bendigo from total embarrasment.

TEAMS:

Teams are as followed (selected as per the VFL website - not always right)

B: Gaertner - Johnson - Hunter

F: M.Williams - Cloke - Jetta

HB: Howard - Walsh - L.Fisher

HF: Laycock - Neagle - Carlisle

C: Gallagher - Magner - Peake

C: Quinn - Marigliani - Hardingham

HF: Heyne - Stanley - Bruno

HB: Long - T.Slattery - Houli

F: A.Smith - Cahill - Tregear

B: J.Williams - Flaherety - Shinners

R: D.Jones* - R.Eddy - Irving

R: Bellchambers - Crameri - Silverlock

I/C: (From) Clarke - Steven - Hutchings - K.Geary - J.Geary - J.Smith - Ferraro - Armitage - Nash - McEvoy - Lourey - Simpkin

I/C: (From) Bock - Anderson - Liddle - Skipworth - Still - Daniher - Page - Colyer - Scanlon

KEY MATCH UPS:

JAMES MAGNER V MARCUS MARIGLIANI

Couple of ex Frankston Dolphins boys here going head to head that will go along way to giving their respective sides first use of the ball. Marigliani has been in splendid form for Bendigo, coming off a 3 goal effort against Gold Coast and surely polling votes, whilst Magner has been a model of consistency for Sandringham, having been named in the best, three of the five games to date. Couple of battle hardened bodies here, should be a cracker of a contest.

Mark Williams V Steven Gaertner

Williams will surely be out on a mission to get back into the senior side. Returned to some form last week, kicking 4 goals from limited opportunities. Gaertner, the impressive youngster from the Dandenong Stingrays has impressed plenty in his short time at the Saints, and will be a very solid player, able to play tall or small, this will test him with Williams smarts around goal potentially proving this avenue to goal will be more than worth while.

PLAYERS TO WATCH:

Mornington Peninsula star Chris Irving has been impressive in some games this year, having kicked a bag of 4 in the narrow 1 point round 3 win against Williamstown (In which he was alos best on ground). He will surely come under the AFL recruiters eyes if he consistency puts in some good performances at this level.

After returning from an injury interrupted pre season. Leroy Jetta has showed some good signs playing in a variety of roles and has found that spark we all saw in his early days at the club. Hopefully he will find more consistency and force his way into the senior side.

With Nick Riewoldts injury, a position in the Saints forward line opens up, giving an opportunity to one of Rhys Stanley, Nich Heyen, Paul Cahill or Ben McEvoy the chance to stake their claim on this position. With a raft of options, surely one of them will fire, a hard task for this emerging Bendigo backline to control so many avenues to goal.

Bendigo's midfield has often been a problem, not gaining first hands on the ball has been a big problem. With the form found from former first round draft pick David Myers in an inside midfield role, he; along with Marcus Marigliani could form a partnership and lead Bendigo to victory.

SUMMARY:

A tough task game to pick, although the goal scoring machine that is Nicholas Sautner is not playing is a big loss in some eyes, whilst a big plus in others. This should open the door for more options up forward for Sandringham. On the other hand, this young Bendigo team, plus some old heads could surely continue playing with some dash and exuberance and shake the finals in their favor this year.

Hayden Skipworth B.O.G
Neagle to kick 3 goals.

**NOTE: I will be attending this game, so anyone wanna catch up, just shoot me a PM**

Thanks

HFF_07

Thanks guys

Go Bombers :thumbsu:

Re: Sandringham Zebras 2010

Steven named as best followed by Stanley and Walsh also listed in the best again! Very happy that Stanley has found some form and Steven makes a statement to Ross after getting the chop.

Re: Tommy Walsh - Season 2010

Hi Guys,
can anyone tell me how Tommy Walsh is getting on?? And if he is not needed at the Saints can you send him back to Kerry! :)

Have a read through the Sandringham Zebras thread. That's our VFL team and he's been making some excellent progress. He's actually been named amongst the best players for the past 4 games.

Many of our regular Zebras watchers still think he's got a fair way to go in his development before he gets a game with St Kilda but the signs are good.

He's still very much wanted at this stage Dingo. :)

Well Setanta had a Hurling background and not Gaelic Football like Tommy. So there is no real comparison.

Tommy hid have a Hurling background as well. Only difference is he changed over to Gaelic and became a superstar in Gaelic. Shows how well he can adapt .

Tommy has been improving every week and has picked up the skills like kicking and marking quite quickly. Still needs to work on game awareness and little things that go with it.

Heard they are going to take the next step in his progression and start to play him up forward now.

I will watch him and give my thoughts on him as the season progresses.

Hi Guys,
can anyone tell me how Tommy Walsh is getting on?? And if he is not needed at the Saints can you send him back to Kerry! :)

I can't imagine Kerry is doing that bad this season without him, they are the perpetual favourites up there! :p

Got to say I'm not totally impressed.
Armo and Geary obviously the best Saints.
Gaetner does a fair bit, but also drops some serious clangers.
I guess Lynch needs a couple of games back to get into the swing.
Tommy Walsh will be awsome when he finishes his crash course.
Pattison -- Nah
Why did we delist Howard?

armo was awesome i thought....geary did some good things too

Tommy Walsh...wow, gunna be a star, will he play in the AFL this year?

Frustrating game to watch. We've got it back to level a few times, but just haven't taken enough of our chances.

Armitage has been very good. Walsh has played half forward for the whole game - he's done some good things, but also missed a few gettable shots at goal.
how did jessie smith play? how much of the game did he play

Re: Round 10 vs. Adelaide

Lynch is no where near good enough atm to play seniors. Neither is Walsh atm. But maybe in a few years it might work out. I hope so with Lynch because he was a 1st rounder.

Stanley was great and I would love to see him hold his spot when Roo comes back, I think he's got Kosi covered atm and I think he will play better with Roo. Kosi should be a mile ahead of him at this stage of his career so that says something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Round 10 vs. Adelaide

Lynch is feasible but at the moment does not deserve a call up. Slips over, spills easy marks and generally misses possession at time plus he's still wearing "protection" on the hand he injured.

Can lead well, can run well and can tackle but he's still rather raw for mine, Stanley, might be a freakish sort or he may fade out, 2 games isn't much to go by and he's arguably not shown more than Heyne or Steven did despite being much taller than them.

Lynch was injured for a bit, and obviously from the Sandy game on Saturday, needs more game time. Walsh ( also obviously not ready ) was better.
The one thing that Stanley does, is attract a tall defender who would monster Heyne or Steven.

If Dawson is out, you'd have to think about bringing Gaertner in. He obviously did a lot more than both Smith and Dempster with Sandringham ( but managed to make more mistakes than Dawson and Clarke on a bad day combined so don't expect too much. )

Re: Round 11 v Richmond @ Etihad

Swap our full back for another tall forward? :confused:

Tommy "the Shamrock" Walsh has been playing in defense for Sandy of late.

I don't think its such a good idea to bring in Armitage. I am just not sure whether he's the superstar we thought he might turn out to be. I wish I could say different but it just seems like he's another Luke Ball type and that's not what we need right now.

I'd much rather see us playing Jack Steven instead of Armo at the minute. Steven can give us a few goals off a flank whereas realistically, Armo won't give us many goals at all going forward. He's kicked goals before but I don't think he's capable of kicking goals every week which is what we need until Riewoldt comes back.

Who will end up being the better player?

My unbiased opinion is Tommy Walsh as his Gaelic Football skills will be far more adaptable to Aussie Rules then Falau's rugby league skills.

Re: Tommy Walsh v Israel Falau

It'll be lolzy as we're paying Walsh about 40k a year to develop.

Whilst they're going to be paying Folau a million a year to develop...

At least we can decide after the end of next year if he's worth keeping, if not...we've lost 80k which isn't all that much. If he is, (which we're all hoping) he'll get a decent 3 year contract that still probably wouldn't add up to a total of $1million haha.

But truly I can't say. Haven't seen much of either to be honest. Of course, Folau is more of a publicity stunt, and even if he doesn't go that well they'll have got what they wanted...attention.

Re: Tommy Walsh v Israel Folau

Tommy is going to be very, very good. He can kick the ball a mile, he leads strong, is a monster and has very good hands and is a very good mark 8 games into his new career, remember, 8 games ONLY lads. As for Izzy, hahahahahahaha Rugby League, great PR for all of us AFL fans, who cares if he makes it or not? He will bring kids into Auskick which will flow on in 8 years time for the AFL, just like Brisbane did. Who ever would have thought 15 years ago that players of the ilk of Reiwoldt, Voss, Akermanis and co would come from the Maroons heartland of QUEENSLAND??? Exciting times ahead, the next Saints star is sitting somewhere at home tonight in Parramatta watching Fox Sports News and Izzy's press conference.

Just finished watching the replay of the game v Nth Ballarat.

Was very impressed with the hardness at the ball, but unfortunately some skills were very ordinary and probably cost the Zebs the game in the end.

Loved what I saw of Tommy Walsh in the 1st half. His kicking action is unorthodox, but it's solid contact and usually seems to spin correctly. There was a patch of play just prior to half time where Pattison won the centre tap to Ali Smith who kicked it forward and Walsh came out on a strong lead and marked and converted. This shows he has an understanding of the play and knows when to time leads. He also had some nice link up with handball.

I thought Geary was our best player as he was everywhere, back, middle and forward (should have finished off a few more chances in front of goal, however).

I was extremely impressed with Shane Tregear. The way he winds up that left foot reminds me of Marty Mattner from Sydney. Has only played 29 VFL games I believe, but I was very impressed and when he got it, good things happened. Perhaps B2010 or Squizzle could tell me more?

Pods taken 15 spots before Walsh (altho he was locked in under International signing thingummie).

Footballer > gaelic > rugby.

Walsh is only 22 and has plenty of improvement left in him. Podsiadly is 28 and at the peak of his career. There is a good chance we'll get more out of Walsh in the long run than Geelong get out of Podsiadly.

Re: Improvement

I think potentially we might have a very potent forward line in a few years between Stanley, Walsh and perhaps Steven, who I think will make a great Milney in a few years.
The signs are there, good quality coaching and a bit of luck with injuires and we have alot to look forward to when the Roo era comes to an end.

Re: Zac Dawson

After watching the VFL game, no backman put his hand up to demand a place. Our best players (St.Kilda listed) would have been Geary, Armitage, Pattison and Walsh. Simpkin was decent but ordinary disposal.

This is what makes me laugh - everyone can point and scream at Zac while he's playing and doing his job week in and week out, yet when he's injured, we can see just how important he is taking up the post at FB every week.

btw, did anyone see the little article in the Herald Sun today applauding our defenders?
Maybe we're suddenly in their good books again...

you would think that tommy would have the edge skills wise, or at least develop them faster

israel has him covered athletically, but having said that tommys no slouch.

but at the end of the day they were recruited for different reasons so its hard to compare them

its clear that the folau signing was a marketing tool more so than his potential in the game and with tommy he was recruited soley because of his potential ability in the game.

from a playing perspective we got the better value

Walsh is only 22 and has plenty of improvement left in him. Podsiadly is 28 and at the peak of his career. There is a good chance we'll get more out of Walsh in the long run than Geelong get out of Podsiadly.
I reckon Geelong will get 2 good years out of him. Maybe 3, if they're still going strong by that stage.
Just by the numbers, I'd be surprised if more than 1 in 10 Irishmen get to that level of good AFL player.

Folau is very quick over the first ten yards or so after that he couldnt run out of site on a dark night
Tommy walsh on the other hand can run all day, about the same age as folau he has a big start on him.
Tommy i think will make it, not so sure about folau, which is irrelevent as he was recruited for the publicity and to put gws on the map.
Folau is certaintly a great rugby league player and who can say he wont return to the game in three or four years time, still only 24 or 25 years old and a lot richer.
good luck to him and i hope he does well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back