Traded Tommy Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Sandringham Zebras 2010

Saturday 5th June at Victoria Park reserves 11 am seniors 2 pm

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10447-0-0&sID=56266&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=12284705&sectionID=56266
Seniors: Vs Collingwood

B Smith Johnson Simpkin
HB Lynch Gaertner Dempster
C Gallagher Magner Tregear
HF Hutchings Lourey Heyne
F Steven Walsh Cahill
R Pattison Armitage Smith
Int Ferraro Fisher Sautner Bruno Hardiman Andrews
Howard Irving

In - Irving, Hardiman, Ferraro, Cahill, Heyne

Out - Geary, Nash

Reserves: Vs Coburg

B Smith-Cameron Gower O'Sullivan
HB Winmar Nash Hunter
C Geary Paterakis Johnston
HF Hardiman Archer McConnell
F Barnes Boland Ferraro
R McGrath Johnston Fisher
Int Allan Waller Fleming Jones

What concerns me when I watch the Zebras is that all our AFL and Rookie players over 6.2 foot, are playing in the backline.
Is this cause our AFL team is a little thin? or they don't believe that the backline is that good? It is a worry.:cool:

Tom Walsh is over 6'2. I'm guessing if Lynch plays back it is to make room in the forward line for Walsh ( at Saints orders ).
With Sautner, its hard to have too many other talls, and you can't really ask them to bench the club captain so that our Irish rookie can have a go.

Cahill is also > 6'2.
Pattison will play in the ruck.

Been watching a bit of the replay. Had to stop for a break after some excruciating decisions against the boys, which the commentators picked up on a number of times.

Pattison as the lone ruckman is interesting. Thought he was excellent in the ruck and in getting the ball around the ground, but let himself down pretty badly with disposal decisions.

With Lourey in the team and Sautner off the bench, it probably isn't the worst decision to have either PC or Lynchy down back. Walsh was always recruited as a forward, and despite showing some good form down back it does seem time to give him an extended run at the forward role. Isn't a natural kick for goal like Sautner, but his rate of improvement is encouraging.

Thought Brad Howard was good again in the first half, but copped a real heavy knock from a teammate (the Nth Ballarat player won a free for high contact despite no contact at all from the Sandy player who took out Howard!).

Jack struggled to get into the play, but looks great when he gets his hands on it and his defensive efforts are handy.

Happy to see Tommy S back into it. A good prospect, although I do see what another poster raised a while back (sometimes overdoes the possession given his role).

The Alias role was interesting (run-with midefielder), which he did to reasonable effect.

A bit surprised to see Gears named in the AFL. Despite his terrific workrate, his disposal was pretty sloppy and his attempts on his left foot were not what you'd like. Still, a good game from him.

Armo was typically hardworking, and must be close to a recall.

Think we have a number of good young players on the list which will repay us over time (if we hang onto them).

Will probably look to drop into skank-town tomorrow for a squiz.

Re: Tommy Walsh v Israel Folau

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...slh-on-the-board/story-e6frf9jf-1225875287952

Four months after running around like a "headless chicken" in his first intraclub match for St Kilda, Irish recruit Tommy Walsh says he has made the right decision to chase his AFL dream.

"My kicking was a bit erratic and I am the first to admit that, but I got the monkey off my back with my first goal," Walsh said.

The Saints are pleased with his skill development and athletic ability since that "headless chicken" performance in February, but it would surprise if Walsh played at AFL level during the first year of a two-season contract.

Fair dinkum - the things I do for you blokes!

Collingwood 1.7 2.14 5.18 8.22 (70)
Sandringham 0.3 4.6 5.6 6.9 (45)

GOALS:
Sandringham: Cahill 2 Tregear 2 Walsh Hutchings

BEST:
Sandringham: Simpkin Armitage Pattison Gaertner Dempster Tregear

My thoughts as I thaw out:

I don't want to scaremonger, but Armo's reaction to what looked like a bad leg injury doesn't provide confidence. His knee was iced, so will leave with you boys to work out what might have happened (the club will no doubt provide no clarity during the week). Hopefully it is not what it looked like, particularly as he was dominating the game.

Very good game from Tommy S, and outmarked his opponent a number of times - thought his kicking was a little ordinary at times.

Patto was very good in the ruck, although tired late in the game and the Collingwooood ruckmen got some ascendancy. Wool got thrown into the ruck in the last quarter and competed reasonably well. Had a fairly solid game in the backline until then.

Heyney drifted out of the game after some excellent early work.

Drago was good again, and kicked a ripper in the third (soccer volley goal round the corner).

PC - good until the rain came.

Hutchings - yep, solid game from him and seems to be coming on nicely. Kicked a ripper torp from inside the square for a goal.

Alias - hardly sighted all day.

JWS - not too bad, and some of the efforts I mentioned earlier were top class.

Lynch - definitely should have been in our best, and played a great game down back. The rain didn't seem to bother him at all. Hopefully he can stay injury free, as if he can produce that form consistently he'll push for a senior spot in time.

Jack - surprisingly he was poor, and didn't seem to enjoy the conditions at all.

Dempster - I like Seany D, but there is no way he was in our best players.

Willy J - quite good in patches (although to me he's had a horror season to date, and he tends to throw in a couple of bloopers which is unfortunate when playing on the last line).

Nathan Brown absolutely pantsed Sautner, and the Filth managed to scunge a few goals along the ground in the second half which was enough to get the job done. The tactics of the Zebs were very ordinary until late in the third quarter which didn't help. Admittedly we got let off the hook in the first quarter anyway.

We're getting a lot of decent backs coming through though.
If Lynch ends up being more cut out as a backman, we have him, Gaertner, Simpkin, J Smith, Dempster, Gram, and Miles and Dawson all pretty much backmen. ( outside this weeks 22).
Forwards, Cahill and Walsh.
Does anyone think that Gaertner may have what it takes to be a rucking midfielder in the future?
I wish Miles would stop getting injured during his best chance of getting a game.
By all accounts he is FAST. He will come back fit, right when Smith, Dempster, and Gram are all available in front of him.

Re: Saints are outright second on the ladder

Don't play him yet. We can't make the mistakes of last year and have our team basically settled 10 weeks out from the finals. We have used the second least amount of players to date, we need to put some more guys in, no reflection on those in there now, but I would be far happier with the players playing say a maximum of 19 games out of the 22. This gives their bodies a chance to recover, it gives others oppertunity who are close, and gives you a chance to get a few games into the young bloods. The game is just too tough now adays. I want Roo back asap, but would be far happier with him coming back at round 16, 6 games before the finals, he will be at peak match conditioning come finals time. Lyon is meantime looking at more options knowing Roo is due back .

i would have thought that lyon has been experimenting and using more players.

outside of this weeks 22, he has played
steven
armitage
gram
dawson
reiwoldt
pattison
king

anyone else played this year? maybe not so many more

who could play?

dempster (has only played 2-3 games in the reserves)
lynch (also only came back)
walsh - not ready
hutchiings as above
winmar just started playing again
archer not ready
A smith - getting closer

Interesting stats from the weekend:

Jack 25 poss (13 contested), 4 tackles, 2 behinds - welcome return to form aside from the goalkicking

Miles 22 poss (9 contested)

Hutchings 21 poss - continuing his run of good form (nice rookie pickup)

Walsh 20 poss

Dempster 16 poss (10 contested), 7 tackles - might get a callup if Raph has done his hammy

But very few contested marks by the boys, and almost 30 frees conceded. Winmar, Cahill, Will J, and Tommy S appear to have been very quiet.

Re: Rd 13 St Kilda v Geelong MCG

Nothing like a game of footy to actualy test the merits of where teams are at.

The Cats have started the year strongly, whereas the Saints have been more hot and cold. Now that they have settled the structure and left our backman in the backline we are now steping up again.

However the Saints have again demonstrated that when they are on, that they are very good. Question is can the Saints roll it out when it counts?

Both teams have had, and still have, some consirerable outs, but both now have a good win loss ratio. With the injuries this game will still leave unresolved questions for later in the year.

Cats are still vunerable if their opponents can exert enough pressure. But not many teams can.

Personally I believe that Lyon has been building the Saints as a team to specifically knock off the Cats as he sees them quite rightly as te team to beat.

The JPod is prabably the Cats main improvement. But how will he fare against a very goof backline? Ottens is an enormously important Cat and if he cannot be brought back for the finals make no mistake, that will hurt the Cats.

BJ has IMO really stepped up as a player to be feared this year. He is quite Pav like as can dominate in many positions and is difficult match up on.
Freo manged to quell Hayes and Joey, but BJ ran riot.

So IMO our midfield has stepped upa notc in 2010. When gram comes back that will complet it.

I see Peake as staying in and that he when combined with Gram wuk had a lot of offensive pace and run when Gram returns.

Gram is very important to the Saints. is abig supplier of inside 50s and is goal scoer to boot.

He and Peake also have the pace for the Pagons Paddocks plays.

Jesse smith I tend to think is more being brought along to have impact in 2011 than this year. This year would bea bonus. So with Walsh will provide 2 recruits in 2011. Stanley has already shown that he just mnneds more mass to becomea better layer...so again watch out in 2011!!!!

Gardiner has also improve this year in quality and connsistency.

Gwilt has beena nice surprise this year. He is a nice mass fr his height and is a beautiful kick.
Geary is emerging as a challenger to Baker for his spot.

Kosi is starting to turn and is much better suited to being roos partner in crimes rather than the main man.

McQualter started the year slowly. We now know that he hada release operation earlier in the year and is only now starting to look fluent. Note how his goal-kicking has improved.

Armo has been disapointing, though some think he is off to the GC and that (when not injured) is why he is not playing more.

However with Peake we don't need either Armo, or the departed Ball.

Zac has been disappointing, but with Blake, Gilbert and Sam all of good height he is not vital.

So yes while 2010 Saints have been worse than the 2008 Saints by finals I expect them to be better than they were in 2009.

My last point

I think alot of people forget that BJ was injured in the GF last year and could not fully contribute. If not injured he may well have made the difference.

He is in brilliant form this year and I expect him to finish the year as a dpminating player. Beware!!!!!!!!!

Tom Lynch needs to really start showing some semblance of decent form...he needs a spell in Sandy reserves...as does Tommy Walsh...his game has really gone off the boil in recent weeks...

If Tommy Lynch's form doesn't improve dramatically I think he'll be feeling pretty uneasy come the end of the season....

Tom Lynch needs to really start showing some semblance of decent form...he needs a spell in Sandy reserves...as does Tommy Walsh...his game has really gone off the boil in recent weeks...

If Tommy Lynch's form doesn't improve dramatically I think he'll be feeling pretty uneasy come the end of the season....

Thought Lynchy was very solid against Collingwood as a defender. Think he will definitely be retained (also noting he is a recent high draft pick and future drafts are compromised).

Drago was OK as a forward in terrible conditions, but I was surprised to see them swap roles the next game with Lynch going forward and Drago to defence. I would have kept Lynchy off half back for a few more weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media has reported that Drago will return home for holidays after the end of the season. Expected to play a big part in the International Series in October (for Ireland!). Ricky Nixon said that he'd have played senior footy had he not been at a top 4 side (probably a little optimistic from Tricky Ricky).

The media has reported that Drago will return home for holidays after the end of the season. Expected to play a big part in the International Series in October (for Ireland!). Ricky Nixon said that he'd have played senior footy had he not been at a top 4 side (probably a little optimistic from Tricky Ricky).

I heard Terry Wallace say the same thing about him though. ( While discussing StKilda's future post 2010)

I heard Terry Wallace say the same thing about him though. ( While discussing StKilda's future post 2010)

Wonder how many Zeb games Terry Tan has seen this year :rolleyes:

The club said right from the outset they were not looking to play him this year, and he's still learning the caper.

Simmo and Wool are very competent defenders (if we are talking replacements/backup).

The club is looking to the other two Tommys to become forwards, and to be honest both have played much better football this year down back.

They need alot more experience under their belt (Lynchy has had some injuries and Drago - in the overall scheme of things - has hardly played the game).

http://www.saints.com.au/season2010/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/101199/default.aspx

“My body has held up pretty well though, which has definitely been good. The coaches were worried with how I would cope with all the training and games but I’ve gotten through everything and don’t think I have missed a training session all year.”

“I’ve played most of my games down back so I feel comfortable down there. I’d never been a defender before I came here. At the start I didn’t really like it but as the games went on I started to feel more comfortable down there.”

Remembering his first game “It was very very long. I remember sitting at half time and thinking that if I was at home the game would be over.”

Tommy will continue to train at the Club before going home during the off season break. But there will be no rest for the Irishman who is already looking ahead to having another solid pre-season to prepare for 2011.

I do hope they are grooming him for the backline.

This might free up fish. I think Fisher could be the man we need playing permanently the across the half fwd line.

A good choice by our club in my opinion. We're telling Tommy that we're really happy with his progress and that he's definitely seen as a first team player in the future.

This should show him that the club has confidence in him progressing further and hopefully he repays this faith by sticking with the Saints and working hard so that he demands to be selected at some point next year.

:thumbsu:

Posted on SS:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/1014/walsht_stkilda_kerry.html

... named in Anthony Tohill's Ireland squad for the upcoming two-game series.

'Hopefully next year I can push on and get into the first team and get a few games. That's my goal and I just have to work hard to get there.'

'It was tough and there were times that you say 'will I pack it in' but you have to stick through these things knowing there is a reward at the end of it. It took time to get used to it as all we did for the first six or seven weeks was running.'

'But as the year went on, when the football started and we got into the season, I started to learn all the skills of the game and started to enjoy it.

Posted on SS:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/1014/walsht_stkilda_kerry.html

... named in Anthony Tohill's Ireland squad for the upcoming two-game series.

'Hopefully next year I can push on and get into the first team and get a few games. That's my goal and I just have to work hard to get there.'

'It was tough and there were times that you say 'will I pack it in' but you have to stick through these things knowing there is a reward at the end of it. It took time to get used to it as all we did for the first six or seven weeks was running.'

'But as the year went on, when the football started and we got into the season, I started to learn all the skills of the game and started to enjoy it.

Haha this is where he gets to show Joey and Gilbert what's what.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back