Opinion Top 50 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

From Ess v Coll:

In the top 50:
Stanton - no good. Clarke beat him comprehensively. Back to the teens for him.
Pendlebury - Very good in the clinches.
Watson - possibly Essendon's best. Will keep him in the top 10. What was he thinking, though?
Ryder - virtually no impact on the game until the last quarter. Will slide to about 20-22.
Crameri - no impact. Will slide to about 30-35.
Sidebottom - excellent. Will progress higher.
Swan - brilliant and will jump to about 20-25 now.
Cloke - not a huge game but still dominant at times. Big grabs but limited impact in the last quarter. Slide slightly.
------------------------------------------------
Unluckies:
Hibbert - injured so will fall off the unluckies.
Jetta - impact with his disposals but not many of those.
O'Brien - liked his game. Strong down back and was influential.
Others:
Howlett - big impact inside.
Beams - accumulation of disposals. One of Collingwood's best.
Johnson - consistent all game.
Heppell - great first half. Strong in the backline.
Zaharakis - good game and was involved in many of Essendon's thrusts forward.
Bellchambers - interesting battle with Jolly. Won in the first half. Colours lowered in the second.
Melksham - excellent first half.

My votes would be:
5. D. Swan (Coll)
S. Sidebottom (Coll)
3. S. Pendlebury (Coll)
2. D. Beams (Coll)
1. D. Zaharakis (Ess)

Thought Watson was nowhere near Essendon's best today. Had little impact at stoppages where Swan and Pendlebury dominated and he missed a couple of targets at crucial times. Zaharakis was the best for Essendon IMO.

Love these sort of lists, and as always you can never really be wrong as it's opinion, not fact. A few points though (my opinion):

Deledio around the 25-30 mark, he's averaged 29 disposals while laying 4 tackles and a goal per game.

Heath Scotland has had a decent start, surely he wouldn't be too far away from the 50s, should be in the unluckies. Same with Mitch Robinson.

Harry O'Brien has been useless. Sure he had a decent game last week, but was the spare man back. Only good thing he's done is tackle Kreuzer on the goal line.
Shouldn't be anywhere near the unluckies.

From the team I watch the most, the Eagles, Id say from the we'd have a lot of players pushing the 80-100 range. Gaff, Priddis, Waters, Hurn, MacKenzie and Glass could all stake their claims for the unluckies with a decent game this week.

Deledio around the 25-30 mark, he's averaged 29 disposals while laying 4 tackles and a goal per game.

Heath Scotland has had a decent start, surely he wouldn't be too far away from the 50s, should be in the unluckies. Same with Mitch Robinson.

Harry O'Brien has been useless. Sure he had a decent game last week, but was the spare man back. Only good thing he's done is tackle Kreuzer on the goal line.
Shouldn't be anywhere near the unluckies.

From the team I watch the most, the Eagles, Id say from the we'd have a lot of players pushing the 80-100 range. Gaff, Priddis, Waters, Hurn, MacKenzie and Glass could all stake their claims for the unluckies with a decent game this week.

Deledio - possibly could be higher. Hasn't influenced games as much as players like Whitecross, Bastinac or Sidebottom hence his position. I know his statistics look good but has he played better than those above him?

Scotland - have only been impressed with him in one game (against Collingwood). Certainly wasn't Carlton's worst this weekend. Will see how he goes. Not near the 50 for mind but will consider him for unluckies depending on his game.

Robinson - just slipped out of my unluckies so is still thereabouts. Played good unassuming footy and worth considering.

Harry O'Brien - tend to agree with you. Will take him off. Was great last week and good on Wednesday but probably doesn't deserve to be in the unluckies.

West Coast - only have 3 Eagles in at the moment but as I suggested above there are a lot of good Eagles sitting in 80-120 atm that are not in the 50.
For instance - Shuey, Masten, Darling, Gaff, Waters, Glass, Hurn, Priddis, Cox, Mackenzie and Kennedy (even though he's only had the one good game).
Can see Shuey, Masten or Darling moving into the 50 depending on their games this week.

From Frem v Carl:

In the top 50:
Sandilands - didn't play so will slide into the 40s.
Murphy - not impressed despite his stats. Good on the outside not great in the contests. Slide a few spots.
Judd - worked over by Crowley, may not be completely fair but it was effective. Great last quarter but will slide into the 40s.
Henderson - brilliant on Pavlich, will rise even more.
Pearce - not involved. Will slide.
Carrazzo - missed, will slide out of the 50.
Kreuzer - benefited from not having to face Sandilands. Will slide slightly.
Mzungu - one of Freo's best so will keep in 50.

Unluckies:
Simpson - arguably BOG (although very spread tonight) so will be in the 50.
Waite - nope not sighted.
Fyfe - not bad in return game. Will stay in the unluckies.
Hill - great and Dockers best. Into the 50.

Others:
Robinson - 2nd BOG for mind so will be in the 50 now. Great in the contested situations.
Gibbs - clean on the outside. Good defensively.
Scotland - was pretty good. On the unluckies.

My votes would be:
5. K. Simpson (Carl)
M. Robinson (Carl)
3. L. Henderson (Carl)
2. S. Hill (Frem)
1. T. Mzungu (Frem)

Have to disagree with your ratings tonight. Scotland worked hard all night, and was almost BOG for mine. Although I love Simmo, his 1st half was atrocious. He really worked himself into the game incredibly well, but just don't think he was BOG.

Have to disagree with your ratings tonight. Scotland worked hard all night, and was almost BOG for mine. Although I love Simmo, his 1st half was atrocious. He really worked himself into the game incredibly well, but just don't think he was BOG.

I didn't mean to imply that Scotland had a bad game.
If you'd care to look over at the Carlton board you'll notice that I did put him in my top 5 Blues on the ground.
Will have to watch the game again to see if Simpson's ranking should be dropped. However, it seemed like there were not a large amount of stand-outs for you guys and very even.
In terms of rankings if you believe Simpson was in the best 5 Blues on the ground then he'll get ranked something similar to that. I didn't think he was stand-out BOG just that it could be arguable. Was very impressed with Robinson and Henderson tonight and they have similar claims too.
Simpson will end up being in the last 5 spots of the 50 for mind.
Judd and Robinson somewhere around the 40s.
Kreuzer just ahead and Murphy and Henderson around the 20 mark.

GWS v Dogs

Boyd very good
Dahlhaus and Murphy had quiet games
Ward was well beaten
Griffen BOG

Will slide Dahlhaus and Murphy out of the 50.
Ward will drop to about 40ish.
Boyd rises, the margin depending on how those around him played.
Griffen back on the unluckies (let me think about that, may place him in the 50 - it is his second really big game).

Kennedy has to be no.1 now. No doubt in my mind. Richards was second BOG and would be AA FB at this stage imo.

After those two it's a bit harder. Mal was subbed out at HT (still no idea why?) and Jetta was quiet so those two could fall out. Bird and Parker probably overtake them now.

1. Josh Kennedy (1st)
2. Ted Richards (11-20)
3. Craig Bird (40's)
4. Luke Parker (40's)
----------------------------------------------
5. Lewis Jetta
6. Kieren Jack
7. Nick Malceski

Up to you with Parker and Bird, I'm not too sure where the sit in comparison with players from other teams.

Was scanning through the list the other week and to my surprise I couldn't find Deledio. Went further through it and thought to myself "oh he's probably just a bit further down". Nope. Not even in the top 50? What the?

He's having a career year in the midfield. 29 touches, 5 marks, 4 tackles and a goal a game. Always been consistent but has taken his game to a new level. Vs Carlton he was a bit down but coming off a hamstring injury and little to no match practice. Still was decent. Then was close to the best player on the ground against Collingwood despite the loss. Was one the main keys to the 2nd half barnstorming of Melbourne and was great against Geelong. Today would've been in the top 3 or 4 players on the ground easily against West Coast.

He and Cotchin have been our 2 clear best performers this year and are top 20 players in the AFL on form. Rance 3rd although I'd drop him a few spots. Last 2 weeks hasn't been as good offensively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Schofield needs to drop imo.

There is no doubt that he is having an improved season, but he is currently being overrated slightly in some quarters. Maybe the recent personal tragedy has affected his form, but he needs to drop from 22 imo.

Kennedy Brownlow can only be stopped by injury imo.

Will slide Dahlhaus and Murphy out of the 50.
Ward will drop to about 40ish.
Boyd rises, the margin depending on how those around him played.
Griffen back on the unluckies (let me think about that, may place him in the 50 - it is his second really big game).

Don't think Griffen is there yet, 2 good games and 2 pretty average, Dogs top 5 order would be something like;

Boyd
Dahlhaus
Murphy
Minson
Griffen

Martin should be on his way back to top 50 status. Cotchin should have a massive increase, as should Deledio. Rance absolutely belted Kennedy.

Maric held his own against the best ruck duo in the competition and Foley and Grigg were dominant once again. Steve Morris and Grimes are also beginning to look very good.

For me...
Rance 8-15
Cotchin 8-15
Deledio 20-35
Foley 40-50
Grigg/Maric/Tuck/Martin 40- >50

Martin should be on his way back to top 50 status. Cotchin should have a massive increase, as should Deledio. Rance absolutely belted Kennedy.

Maric held his own against the best ruck duo in the competition and Foley and Grigg were dominant once again. Steve Morris and Grimes are also beginning to look very good.

For me...
Rance 8-15
Cotchin 8-15
Deledio 20-35
Foley 40-50

Foley, Grigg, Maric have been good and Tuck and Martin have been okay but we're 1-4. Can't justify that many in the top 50. Maybe if we snuck the win againt Geelong and West Coast then yeh.

Kennedy has to be no.1 now. No doubt in my mind. Richards was second BOG and would be AA FB at this stage imo.

After those two it's a bit harder. Mal was subbed out at HT (still no idea why?) and Jetta was quiet so those two could fall out. Bird and Parker probably overtake them now.

1. Josh Kennedy (1st)
2. Ted Richards (11-20)
3. Craig Bird (40's)
4. Luke Parker (40's)
----------------------------------------------
5. Lewis Jetta
6. Kieren Jack
7. Nick Malceski

Up to you with Parker and Bird, I'm not too sure where the sit in comparison with players from other teams.

Take a deep breath.
Despite his slow start he was magnificent after quarter time.
Will be no. 1 now followed by Pendlebury.
May keep Ablett in the top 3 because a lot of players in the top 10 didn't inspire me to put the

Was scanning through the list the other week and to my surprise I couldn't find Deledio. Went further through it and thought to myself "oh he's probably just a bit further down". Nope. Not even in the top 50? What the?

He's having a career year in the midfield. 29 touches, 5 marks, 4 tackles and a goal a game. Always been consistent but has taken his game to a new level. Vs Carlton he was a bit down but coming off a hamstring injury and little to no match practice. Still was decent. Then was close to the best player on the ground against Collingwood despite the loss. Was one the main keys to the 2nd half barnstorming of Melbourne and was great against Geelong. Today would've been in the top 3 or 4 players on the ground easily against West Coast.

He and Cotchin have been our 2 clear best performers this year and are top 20 players in the AFL on form. Rance 3rd although I'd drop him a few spots. Last 2 weeks hasn't been as good offensively.

Relax. He is clearly entrenched in the top 50 (about 30ish) after this week.
He's been in and out of the 50 for the first couple of weeks but is certainly there now.

Will Schofield needs to drop imo.

There is no doubt that he is having an improved season, but he is currently being overrated slightly in some quarters. Maybe the recent personal tragedy has affected his form, but he needs to drop from 22 imo.

Kennedy Brownlow can only be stopped by injury imo.

Schofield wasn't particularly good today so will drop him back to the 40s.
Lot of good players standing up to fill the space in between.

For me...
Rance 8-15
Cotchin 8-15
Deledio 20-35
Foley 40-50

A bit too generous mate.
Martin will certainly be in considerations now and another good game from Grigg.
Rance probably too high. Richards is now the no.1 defender in the comp at the moment IMO and he will have the teen spot. Will keep Rance at about 20.
Cotchin I will put 15-20. Will consider him for higher though, depends on how I place other players. His consistency counts towards a higher ranking.
Deledio is still closer to 35 than he is to 20ish. But we'll see because there are a lot of players in the mid-50s that'll be moving (Hawkins, Rockliff, Swan and Naitanui will also be considered around the mid-20s mark). But certainly will be promoting Deledio if he keeps dominating.
Foley still just falls out of the 50 for mind. But all those you mentioned in the 40- >50 aren't far off it.

Rance probably too high. Richards is now the no.1 defender in the comp at the moment IMO and he will have the teen spot. Will keep Rance at about 20.
Cotchin I will put 15-20. Will consider him for higher though, depends on how I place other players. His consistency counts towards a higher ranking.

You had Rance at 16 after Round 4 and a belting of Hawkins. He now repeats his efforts and you demote him? Especially after many in the top 20 have disappointed this round. Quite absurd in my opinion.

Cotchin has been extremely consistent and off 2012 form alone, should be in the top 5 midfielders. I understand your cautiousness but he has been dominating every week. He really does deserve more recognition.

Top 10 will be:
1. J. Kennedy
2. S. Pendlebury
3. S. Thompson
4. G. Ablett
5. L. Hayes
6. M. Murphy
7. S. Selwood
8. J. Watson
9. S. Mitchell
10. T. Cotchin

Ruckmen:
Ryder (20-25)
Naitanui (25-30)
Sandilands (30-35)
Kreuzer (30-40)

Key Backmen:
Richards (10-20)
Rance (20ish)
Henderson (20-25)
How did Taylor play?

Key sliders
:
Stanton
Goddard
Sandilands
Crameri
Franklin
Judd
Tippett
Ward
Jetta
van Berlo

Key risers:

Hawkins (25ish)
Rockliff (10-15)
Cotchin (10ish)
Sidebottom (20-25)
Henderson (20-25)
Boyd (30ish)
Swan (20-30)
Deledio (30-35)
Naitanui (25-30)
Dangerfield (30ish)
Parker (45-50)
Robinson (40-50)
Swallow (45-50)
N Jones (45-unluckies)

Thoughts?

Pendles, Ablett, Kennedy, Stanton, Murphy, Selwood(s), Rockliff, Dal Santo, Ward and Mitchell all above Cotchin. The last two are just above Cotchin. Cotchin is around the 10-15 and Rance probably just below him.

Also you shouldn't mention Martin, played one good game and other then that he has done SFA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back