Opinion Top 50 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

comfortably? kade simpson would have something to say about that i reckon.
I have no doubt he's well ahead of Simmo and judging by Mick's votes, neither does he. Simmo's had a very good season and would be right up but Gibbs has been a notch above.

Our top 4 at this stage is almost certainly Gibbs, Simpson, Murphy and Yarran. Gibbs should be outright first, flip a coin for 2nd.

I have no doubt he's well ahead of Simmo and judging by Mick's votes, neither does he. Simmo's had a very good season and would be right up but Gibbs has been a notch above.

Our top 4 at this stage is almost certainly Gibbs, Simpson, Murphy and Yarran. Gibbs should be outright first, flip a coin for 2nd.

Actually didn't see this until after I've sorted my list for this week.
Gibbs is now on it.

Okay here's round 13:
Top50-round-13.jpg

I've second guessed some of my positions about a million times but I'm pretty comfortable with most of the 50 at this point.
As always I encourage you to challenge me and provide me with feedback.

Oh and he played a really good game yesterday and he went down, how does that work?

I would say he played an average game.
He turned the ball over a bit by foot but was good defensively.
Last week against Hawthorn he was terrible. Only conceded four goals but still was arguably our worst player.
That's why I dropped him.

No Brodie Smith in the top 50 is a huge oversight. The lack of Malceski is surprising too.

Smith is clearly on the cusp of the 50 as seen in the unluckies. So you're really only arguing between me rating him at positions 51-55 or 41-50, I presume. This is hardly a "huge oversight".
Most Swans fans seem to agree with my assessment of Malceski.
Whilst he has had some good games I'd still have him behind: Kennedy, Parker, Hannebery, McGlynn, Jack and Franklin.
If you disagree I encourage you to present an argument as to why he should be rated ahead of any of these players.

Good stuff mate, obviously a lot of effort goes into this.
Jacobs and Smith are pretty unlucky, but if they continue their current form they should be able to make it in.

Don't want to be one of those guys arguing for Player X on his team to be higher but Lynden Dunn has been enormous for Melbourne this year. Not just saying it because he had a great game yesterday either. Would be pushing Nathan Jones for the B&F right now I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunn has been excellent and a couple more games and I think he will be mighty close! Brody Smith has been a revelation IMO so he would be banging the door down as well I would think. Jordan Lewis has been colossal for the Hawks especially without Mitchell and Sewell for most parts of the year! Without him, Hawks would be in deep shi*!

Actually one of the best lists I've seen in regards to this year, kudos.

Surprised to see Montagna in there. I guess I'll have to start watching more St Kilda. :p

I'd have Boomer above NDS but that's me just being a picky supporter. Great list, well done. :)

Surprised to see Montagna in there. I guess I'll have to start watching more St Kilda. :p

I'd have Boomer above NDS but that's me just being a picky supporter. Great list, well done. :)

Joey had a massive start to the season, was finding plenty of the ball and hitting the scoreboard, but after an abysmal month or so he's fast running out of credits in the bank. Wouldn't be surprised to see him drop out in a week or two.

Some thoughts from tonight.
Smith will be in my 50 after tonight's performance, probably at the expense of Roughead.
Sloane, Lewis and Hodge will be bumped up slightly.
Gunston will go up a small amount (despite kicking four important goals) as he's in a very competitive part of my top 50.
Breust will drop slightly, Thompson may slide but I liked his game up until he was subbed.
Burgoyne I'll probably slide a bit. Though his numbers stack up alright I don't think he was particularly important.
Oh and another good game from Talia.
He'll remain the no. 1 key back on my list.

Last edited:
Some thoughts from tonight.
Smith will be in my 50 after tonight's performance, probably at the expense of Roughead.
Sloane, Lewis and Hodge will be bumped up slightly.
Gunston will go up a small amount (despite kicking four important goals) as he's in a very competitive part of my top 50.
Breust will drop slightly, Thompson may slide but I liked his game up until he was subbed.
Burgoyne I'll probably slide a bit. Though his numbers stack up alright I don't think he was particularly important.
Oh and another good game from Talia.
He'll remain the no. 1 key back on my list.
How far are Smith and danger from the top 50?

Out `of curiosity where do you have Michael Johnson from Freo? Never seems to play a bad game when i watch him

Out `of curiosity where do you have Michael Johnson from Freo? Never seems to play a bad game when i watch him

Last year I had him in the 50.
This year I don't think he's reached the heights he did last year.
He's always in my considerations but atm the backs I have in are:
Mackenzie, Malceski, Talia, Hooker, Smith, Taylor with Kelly, McVeigh and Rance just missing.
Therefore I'd rate Johnson between 10-15 in regards to backmen. Always on my radar but hasn't broken into the top 60 players.

Great Top 50! I think the rankings of Sloane, Nat Jones, Gunston, Cunnington and Priddis are a bit high. I've watched Sloane all year and just can't justify him being the 11th best player in the competition. I can see why the other four ranked where they did, but I guess it's just a matter of opinion that I rank them lower. I just can't see Stokes being top 50, and would have thought that Harvey, Talia and McGlynn would be slightly higher. Oh and I'm surprised not to see Westhoff, who has been premium all year, not even rate a mention, and think that Rance should also get a look in too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back