Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

We aren't cutting either of Gardner or Keath. So why would we look at adding another plodder in Howard?

Outside of Croft who looks a certainty and perhaps a rookie ruck if Sweet moves on. Id be staggered if we took any other talls in the draft or in trade.

If we think we've had a few issues getting the midfield rotations right over the last couple of years. You aint seen nothin' yet.

For the first time in history we're going to see a long jam of match ready and developing talls on the list.

There's going to be much gnashing of teeth and claims of selecting integrity being compromised as players are forced to bide their time or have extended periods of development at Footscray.

Last edited:
I believe so. Still room for Bussinger to play as a third tall. I think any situation you’re relying on a second year key defender to play most games is setting you up for failure.

Agreed. I have high hopes for O-Donnell but Lewis Young looked great in his first season as well. Young players, especially talls, take time to find consistency.

I am a fan of taking Dougal if he is cheap and we delist TOB. Basically we lose Bruce and TOB and replace with Dougal and JOD.

But also agree does not look like a priority. We have good starting options and cover for 2024: Starting (cover)

FB: Duryea (Crozier) Jones (Gardner) Red (Williams)

HB: Dale (Cleary) Keath (TOB) JOD (Buss)

JJ (VDM) - rebounding speed

and Utilities in Khamis and Raak.

Problem is in 2025 where we lose up to six options. We have little cover and a number of players are not great starting options*.

?? (??). Gardner* (??) Red (Williams)

Dale (Cleary) JOD ?? Buss ??

VDM* (??) Utilities in Khamis* and Raak*.

Note - the Duryea position requires someone who has the speed and ability to play on small power forwards who cut is up. Hopefully we find a way to snag Lual.

Cleary is a star of the future and could play for either of Dale or Richards (esop ei allying we lose Williams) but not quick enough to play on the quick smalls. Harvey G may be that person? Scott will give it his best. Have assumed Daniel is up the ground.

End result we need to add some defenders this draft to start the process for 2025. Priorities are small defender and FB.

Talls take much longer and so JOD has been a revelation but is a bit older and Buss is perfectly on track so probs only plays a handful next year and a couple of years before he can take on a star forward. There is a missing star as soon as Jones and Keath goes (remember a couple of years ago he was the star and almost AA level).

In the midfield: (Assuming we lose Sweet)

English (Lobb) Bont (???) Libba (West)
Macrae (???) Trelor (Garcia*) Smith (???)

With injuries we could be short.

Problems already.

By 2025 it is worse:

English (Darcy) Bont (??) West (??)
Macrae?? (??) Garcia* (??) Smith (??)

At least four short and could be worse if Macrae continues to slide - but good things is Mids can add more earlier but have to get probably three players this off season including one first rounder we think will be a lock and a bigger body. I reckon Will Gould of Sydney should be played in the Mids but doesn’t suit the Swans style or have the annual go at O’Halloran? Constance would be a cheap option and be OK.

A few weeks ago I was hoping for Dow also but looks to played himself into favour a bit like West.

I think there is a massive play we could make.
English to west coast (reason being his next contract will be massive) give them pick 17 as well.
Pick 1 take Reid
Pick 10 take best midfielder if available wilson
Then Croft
With money saved take Grundy problem solved (and he will get ball out of the middle)
Play kharmis at CHB
Buss and OD fast classy backline
2 smooth moving forward on ballers from the draft and an athletic 203cm full back win win 🥇

Tom Highmore will be delisted from the Saints, never got much of a run. Averages 22.3 disposals, 81% disposal efficiency, 8.7 intercepts, 7.4 rebound 50s, 6.8 marks in the VFL, might be a depth player as that marking medium.

Seems to tick all of our boxes, except I think the main knock on him is shaky ball use

English to west coast (reason being his next contract will be massive) give them pick 17 as well.
Pick 1 take Reid
Then Croft
With money saved take Grundy problem solved (and he will get ball out of the middle)
Play kharmis at CHB
2 smooth moving forward on ballers from the draft and an athletic 203cm full back win win 🥇

I'm in. I don't like the idea of paying Tim English a mil a year to get bullied by a first-gamer

Satan is much less hateable than Papley.

But everyone knows Satan is Toby Greene.

There seems to be a evil Sydney connection here with the Devil.

If you review various Renaissance paintings of Christ's crucifixion, you can clearly see both Papley and Greene among the Romans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 1 take Reid
Then Croft
Play kharmis at CHB

Yeah, but that kinda luck and good fortune just doesn't seem to happen to us we always seem to get done over by players being traded out and generally overpay or just even the ledger for players coming in.

We never do a Geelong (probably because we don't have the property deals and Cotton On and other sweetheart deals), but it would be nice to do that sort of thing one year.

Pick 1 take Reid
Then Croft
Play kharmis at CHB
His future seems linked to his girlfriends.

If you review various Renaissance paintings of Christ's crucifixion, you can clearly see both Papley and Greene among the Romans.
Nah find that pretty hard to believe. I think all this talk about Toby and Satan is a load of dry rot. 20230903_211929.jpg

Tom Highmore will be delisted from the Saints, never got much of a run. Averages 22.3 disposals, 81% disposal efficiency, 8.7 intercepts, 7.4 rebound 50s, 6.8 marks in the VFL, might be a depth player as that marking medium.
I was a massive fan in his first season at the Saints. Haven't followed much since but not sure how he's fallen out of favour?

Jordan Croft liking his mate’s bulldog related comments on his instagram just now. Don’t think there’s any danger of him not nominating us now.
Ideally we can trade up and get in a couple of picks before needing to match a bid for him.
Trade back into the second round for Lual.
Flagdogs 2024. Simples.

Also think Satan would be above eye gouging Bont.

We're quick to judge these days...

Beginning his career with the Hawthorn Football Club in 1975, DiPierdomenico started playing 99 reserve-grade games as he flitted between first grade team and reserves football. He kick-started his career in 1978, culminating in a best-on-ground performance in the 1978 VFL Grand Final.

The kid is 19. Let's give him a bit of time.

Also, he's a spitting image of the kid from We're the Millers.

View attachment 1792394View attachment 1792395
We all forget about how many VFL games guys used to play before making their debut and then cry when West doesn’t get opportunity early on

didnt the smiling assassin and bubba play upward of 100 VFL games each too?

Melbourne has entered the race for Tim English

3 More clubs are chasing Bailey Smith

Marra and Naughton extension is tied to the new CBA dealings, 4+ years offered by Dogs
Just waiting on the cash side of things

Melbourne has entered the race for Tim English

3 More clubs are chasing Bailey Smith

Marra and Naughton extension is tied to the new CBA dealings, 4+ years offered by Dogs
Just waiting on the cash side of things
Imagine Chilli left to play forward/ruck at Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back