Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes as it stands it looks like we are getting them the future 3rd they want via Port. Although the trades won't be linked they're all dependent on each other.

Power will get BZT & a F3
Ess will get Duursma

We will get a F3 for Sweet and on trade it for Coffield.
ST.K want future picks to ontrade to Freo for Henry who are stocking up for next year
Who am I missing here? Are we planning on more delistings, which is the 5th open list spot ahead of the draft? Since the final list lodgement in November last year, this would mean we'd have the below list changes. At that time we had 2 open Cat A rookie spots plus 1 open Cat B rookie spot which we filled across the 2023 season, included below.

Out: Hannan, Bruce, O'Brien, Sweet, McComb (RA), Raak (RB)
In: Harmes, Coffield, Croft, 5, Lual/late pick, Teakle (presume main list if DFA signing?), Rookie 1 (RA), Rookie 2 (RA), Baker (RA), Poulter (RA), O'Donnell (RB)

This would mean:
  • Main list: 6 in 4 out
  • Cat A rookie list: 4 in 1 out
  • Cat B rookie list: 1 in 1 out

By my count that's 3 players too many without accounting for the open spot you want to take to the mid season draft, but I've probably missed something.

Yes as it stands it looks like we are getting them the future 3rd they want via Port. Although the trades won't be linked they're all dependent on each other.

Power will get BZT & a F3
Ess will get Duursma

We will get a F3 for Sweet and on trade it for Coffield.
ST.K want future picks to ontrade to Freo for Henry who are stocking up for next year
I reckon that’s a fair trade between Port and Essendon. The F3 evens it up given Duursma.

I was hoping we’d get 48 and trade out 38 into 2024 so that we used 3 3rds to pay for Croft, but this is fine too.

Who am I missing here? Are we planning on more delistings? Since the final list lodgement in November last year, this would mean we'd have the below list changes. At that time we had 2 open Cat A rookie spots plus 1 open Cat B rookie spot which we filled across the 2023 season, included below.

Out: Hannan, Bruce, O'Brien, Sweet, McComb (RA), Raak (RB)
In: Harmes, Coffield, Croft, 5, Lual/late pick, Teakle (presume main list if DFA signing?), Rookie 1 (RA), Rookie 2 (RA), Baker (RA), Poulter (RA), O'Donnell (RB)

This would mean:
  • Main list: 6 in 4 out
  • Cat A rookie list: 4 in 1 out
  • Cat B rookie list: 1 in 1 out

By my count that's 3 players too many without accounting for the open spot you want to take to the mid season draft, but I've probably missed something.
Crozier will be gone.

Yeah good point. There's the 5th main list spot open, I still believe we'd need to open up 1 more main list and 1 more rookie list position on top to reach Mojorisin 's plan? And a 2nd rookie list spot if we wanted to keep an open spot to use on SSP or mid-season draft.

Sweet will be traded
Bedendo will be moved to Rookie list
Bruce, O'Brien, hannan, Mclean & Crozier
That's 7 off the main list
McComb & R.Smith off of the Rookie list
Raak off of Cat B

Harmes, Coffield, Teakle, pick 5, Croft, plus late pick.
One rookie draft pick
One Cat B rookie

With 5 - I know most of the scuttle is for Watson but I wouldn’t be surprised if we take Sanders - the kid is a gun mid of the JHF mode. He is tough with a great burst. I would be happy if we took him.

Team after draft would be:

Flea JUH Lobb

West Naughton A Jones

English Bont Libba

Smith Macrae Trelor

Coffield JOD JJ

Duryea Jones Red

Int: Sanders, Dale, Harmes, Cleary

That’s a decent team

On a slightly unrelated note, an I the only one who finds the Sweet/Teakle situation totally mad?
(Or a bit odd at least...)

In a depth ruck swapping clubs way or a Teakle and Sweet have the same value way and it’s weird to delist one and target the other?

I was not surprised Teakle got delisted. His four games at AFL level were really, really poor and his SANFL stats don’t look great. In his four games his direct opponents were statistically probably BOG, all four got coaches votes, and for the rest of the season a clearly broken down Lycett was preferred and on more than a couple of occasions Finlayson was chosen as the number one ruck.

I’m not totally against the pick up as a DFA. Can’t go into next season with one ruck on the list and Teakle showed some signs in his couple of appearances last season and is still young enough to improve. Was a rough 2023 season though.

In general I think Port do like a more physical ruckman over an athletic one. Have had more success with Lycett than the Teakle and Ladhams types, so not surprised they are targeting Soldo and Sweet

With 5 - I know most of the scuttle is for Watson but I wouldn’t be surprised if we take Sanders - the kid is a gun mid of the JHF mode. He is tough with a great burst. I would be happy if we took him.

Team after draft would be:

Flea JUH Lobb

West Naughton A Jones

English Bont Libba

Smith Macrae Trelor

Coffield JOD JJ

Duryea Jones Red

Int: Sanders, Dale, Harmes, Cleary

That’s a decent team

Poor Daniel.

I’m not necessarily the biggest Harmes fan, but geez some people on here are clueless.

He’s a 28yo that’s played over 150 games of AFL & before this season, was a mainstay of the best organised midfield in the competition.

Why make out that a 3rd round pick has been handed over for Robbie McComb? Seriously.

At an absolute minimum, Harmes improves our bottom end, but he could easily add so much more than that.

Handy pickup.

I’m not necessarily the biggest Harmes fan, but geez some people on here are clueless.

He’s a 28yo that’s played over 150 games of AFL & before this season, was a mainstay of the best organised midfield in the competition.

Why make out that a 3rd round pick has been handed over for Robbie McComb? Seriously.

At an absolute minimum, Harmes improves our bottom end, but he could easily add so much more than that.

Handy pickup.
Exactly right.

He's a flog, but I'd like to think that was mostly the floggiest organisation rubbing off on him and he's in a better place now

Handy pickup.

And our Bottom end have been crap… agree he improves us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Handy pickup.

Plus he plays a role we desperately need as a defensively minded mid who can tag and shut down. Newcombe and Kelly mauled us in our most embarrassing defeats in the year.

Plus he plays a role we desperately need as a defensively minded mid who can tag and shut down. Newcombe and Kelly mauled us in our most embarrassing defeats in the year.
Exactly, he can effectively be a poor mans Dunkley, or just be better than whoever else we currently have on the fringes.

For a team that wants to be contending, he’s at the right age too.

On a slightly unrelated note, an I the only one who finds the Sweet/Teakle situation totally mad?
(Or a bit odd at least...)
Out of curiosity why?

If you are unaware, Teakle is one of the worst players to have ever pulled on a Port jumper in the AFL. He should not be playing AFL. I really hope for your sake you don't draft him. He is at best a super athlete, but has no football awareness or talent.

Sam Hayes is our equivalent of Sweet, the gap between the two would be pretty minimal. Problem is for some reason we've put a line through Hayes due to his work ethic, off field behaviour or maybe his general commitment. Sweet for us provides a guy that seems to have a better work ethic, stronger presence and appears in the top couple rucks outside the AFL 1st ruck division. He will start round 1 for us, as our 1st ruck. So as a former SA player needing a game it is a no brainer. Teakle was always being delisted, the guy is a spud. The question for us will be how hard do we cut, do Lycett and Hayes both go as well or not. We also have Visentini who is seen as our long term #1 ruck, but probably needs another year or maybe 2 before being ready for consistent AFL footy.

Last edited:
Exactly, he can effectively be a poor mans Dunkley, or just be better than whoever else we currently have on the fringes.

For a team that wants to be contending, he’s at the right age too.

Not sure I’d even consider him a poor man’s Dunkley. From what I can see, he’s quicker, a better mark and definitely a better kick than Dunkley.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not sure I’d even consider him a poor man’s Dunkley. From what I can see, he’s quicker, a better mark and definitely a better kick than Dunkley.

Dunkley is a better mark ( he is a good mark for his size) IMO but I agree speed and kicking ability Dunkley is behind .

You must go to the toilet every time the commentators state that Dunkley is the best mark for a midfielder in the competition

I meant more from a role playing view than comparing the players, i.e. we haven’t had a mid that quickly adapt to playing a defensive role when it’s needed.

That alone cost us at least 2 wins this season.

Btw, my 4yo nephew kicks better than Dunkley. Dunks disposal was always going to limit his ceiling.

Good player, but far from a great one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back