List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Oh, I just looked at the photo again.

Wrong Myers...
Austin Powers Mask GIF by Working Title

JTR with pick 1.

But, would Geelong consider 8, F1 & F3 for F1, F2 & 58?

We have a chance of finishing around the same spot on the ladder next year, so might end up being 5, 8 & 41 for 4, 22 & 58.

It would depend on where Geelong sees us and themselves next year.

In their eyes, it could be 8, 18 & 36 for 1, 19 & 37.

We can probably get O'Sullivan or Curtin for 8 and might have a top 5 next year anyway. Take 1, 8, 23 & 37 this year with Livingstone as a rookie pick, or leave a spot open for Ruscoe in the PSD.

I'd be content with Reid, Curtin/O'Sullivan, Zakostelsky, Moir and Ruscoe with a chance at a Draper, Smith or Smillie, etc. next year.

So we effectively trade 23 & F1 for 6, 15, 17 & 18?
Negative.

The post I was replying to had Dees F1 included. So maybe

WCE give: F1 (2), 23, 37
WCE get: 6, 15, 17, 18, F1 (Dees 15)

NM give: 15, 17, 18
NM get: 11, 37

Dees give: 6, 11, F1 (15)
Dees get: F1 (WC 2), 23

Keep 58 this year which will slide back into the late 40s.

If we trade our F1 we would need to get another later F1 back in. If we finish bottom 4 next year and get an end of F1 priority plus Dees F1 could have approx 15 & 19 to try and move back up and land a decent mid.

Can Schoenmaker do anything else besides kick it 65m? (Our boy Harley by the way has a 60m+ peg on him too)
I just don't get the love.
I think it boils down to people seeing who has just left the club and wanting a like for like replacement. They see Schoenmaker as a Hurn replacement because he can kick it long but don't understand that the lock down, fast breaking running back is the new toy everyone wants for Xmas.

Negative.

The post I was replying to had Dees F1 included. So maybe

WCE give: F1 (2), 23, 37
WCE get: 6, 15, 17, 18, F1 (Dees 15)

NM get: 11, 37

Keep 58 this year which will slide back into the late 40s.

If we trade our F1 we would need to get another later F1 back in. If we finish bottom 4 next year and get an end of F1 priority plus Dees F1 could have approx 15 & 19 to try and move back up and land a decent mid.
Why can't we just do this direct with Melbourne? Why the need for other teams to get involved!

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why can't we just do this direct with Melbourne? Why the need for other teams to get involved!

If we want another pick at the top end this year I hope we’ve auctioned our F1 between Dees, GWS, Cats, Bombers and Crows and we already have the trade agreed in principle if our target(s) is available. It’s a very valuable pick and we shouldn’t be accepting unders for it for a sugar hit. I only see 2-3 of those teams negotiating in good faith unless Matty Rosa has locked Dildoro in a cupboard somewhere.

Curtin is guaranteed to be available if we're talking to them. Top 3 pick is theoretical and also 12 months away, in the same way they never would have banked on Freo sucking last season and GC wouldn't have expected us to chop up after our pick swap with them.

Our list is nothing like it was in the period you referred to. Its miles worse and we are not finishing higher than 16th. 16th would be a massive improvement.

The club knows that and so does every other club.

Some eagles supporters not so much.

And you are totally ignoring the fact that the other team would be super keen on a player in the top 3 in 2024. Crows already are. If Melbourne arent then they dont trade. Simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our list is nothing like it was in the period you referred to. Its miles worse and we are not finishing higher than 16th. 16th would be a massive improvement.

The club knows that and so does every other club.

Some eagles supporters not so much.

And you are totally ignoring the fact that the other team would be super keen on a player in the top 3 in 2024. Crows already are. If Melbourne arent then they dont trade. Simple.

I'm not saying I expect us to finish higher than 16th, just that nothing in that realm is certain and there's opportunity cost in all trades.

I don't see the Demons, with Curtin on the board, picking up the phone and desperately trying to sell their pick. They'll be licking their lips and we will be the ones phoning them while trying to hide our semi, saying please can I has?

Personally I don't see an F1 or F2 coming back our way if they oblige and hand over their pick for our F1.

Could be right. Most of the mock drafts I’ve seen have most of the quality talls gone by there pick 15 which slides out.
Zz will definitely be there but that’s probably reaching and there is a chance both Archer Reid and Schoenmaker are off the board by then. Will definitely be a Ruckman available.

Will be interesting watching Cal Twomey’s mock draft he seems to get that first 10-20 players pretty correct.

Its math in the end. North are desperate to restock talls.

This draft is stocked with talls.

2024 rankings ATM have 2 players over 200cm and less than a handfull over 195cm. Absolutely stacked with quality mids and flankers.

With 5 1st rounders they pick best available with 2 and 3 and go tall with the three later 1sts where talls often get picked after all the Harley's and other shinny fast, flashy mids and super skilled medium and smalls get drafted, like Watson or Rachelle.

If North want to trade up to land a tall at pick 10 they have the means to do it. They dont need to reach at pick 3.

We can deal with Dees directly for 6, 11 and their F1 with our F1 and 23.

My suggestion was that if O’Sullivan is still available at 11 then North may offer overs to get him, given they need KPDs and he is the best in this draft. Unless they plan on playing McKercher or Duursma at fullback. We could get an extra pick early in that even part of the draft to lock in a couple of Tholstrup, Collard, ZZ, DeMattia etc.

1: Reid
6: Curtin

WC give: 11 (O’Sullivan), 37

List needs go straight into KPF and don’t even mention the midfield wtf? Have we 100% confirmed we have the first pick on night 2?

Reid is a mid.

Talks about trading our F1st for Curtin plus one of Tholstrop / Collard. All with midfield potential.

Then pick 29 a KP defender or Moir. 42 A ruck but thinks we may have that covered

List needs go straight into KPF and don’t even mention the midfield wtf? Have we 100% confirmed we have the first pick on night 2?

Any media articles I’ve read that mention it, state that we have the first pick on night 2

I’ve not seen anything official so I’m not sure if media have been told or they are just making the logical assumption that R1 ends on night 1 and R2 starts on night 2

Yes we have first pick of night 2

I remain sceptical

As I’ve posted before, there hasn’t been an end of R1 FA compensation pick in play since 2018 when we had one for Scott Lycett

That pick was the first pick on night 2 which was also the first year the draft was split over 2 nights

Clubs are allowed more time to make selections in R1 and there’s more ancillary activities on the first night which drag the first round out. It’s part of why they made the split in the first place

As it stands, R1 is likely to involve 27, maybe 28 picks. It’s going to be a long night

Conversely, given the expectation there will be somewhere between 52 and 62 overall draft selections, there might only be as many selections on night 2 as there were on night 1. Maybe 3 or 4 more

For an AFL, in the words of Laura Kane, that is running the line that the draft isn’t compromised but complex the above is an image problem

When R1 makes up 50%, or close to it, of the total draft that’s a problem which would be highlighted if the entirety of R1 is held on the first night. It’s a problem that could be masked by ending night 1 after the natural R1 picks are done when Collingwood make their pick (currently 19 but will likely push back to 24)

It’s not like the AFL don’t have a history of making rules up on the run to suit themselves and as I said earlier, precedent is for end of R1 compo picks to be taken on night 2. Even if it is a precedent of one

Could see us trading down a few spots and picking up an extra late F1/early F2 with that.

If we do hold the first pick (currently pick 23) on night 2 and receive offers to trade down, I doubt we want to slide too far so these clubs are the options :

24 - Gold Coast : Will be used up to match the Walter bid unless it’s traded before then
25 - Geelong: They’d be moving up a single spot so unlikely to trade unless they think we’re going to draft the player they want. In that scenario I’m keeping the pick
26,27 - Gold Coast : See above
28 - Carlton : They’ll need points for the Camporeale twins next year so I doubt they want to burn future picks to move up as few as 2 spots in an even area of the draft
29 - Richmond : This is their first pick of the draft and maybe they get excited if a target of theirs is still on the board. They have two F2 picks (theirs and Fremantle) so they might be interested in sacrificing one of those to jump up
30 - Brisbane : See Carlton re the need for points next year for the second coming of Ashcroft. They’re also a leading candidate to be chasing pick 24 from Gold Coast using this pick as the centrepiece
31 - Essendon : We’d be sliding back at least 5 spots by this point so it’s getting less attractive. However, Essendon have 35 as well so 31 and 35 might be handy as we’d then have 31,35,37. Depends on what our draft board looks like and the risk of moving back 5 places to get another R2 pick
32 - Gold Coast : Again
33 - Collingwood : Not sure getting a late F2 makes moving back 6+ spots justified
34 - Fremantle : No
35 - Essendon : See above
36 - Gold Coast : And again
37 - oh look it’s back to us

Pending other pick swaps on the night, I see only Richmond and Essendon as clubs that would have something worth accepting

I’d be more inclined to use pick 23 in conjunction with our F2 to move up into the mid to later range of R1 if possible

Or just use the pick ourselves

Last edited:
Reid is a mid.

Talks about trading our F1st for Curtin plus one of Tholstrop / Collard. All with midfield potential.

Then pick 29 a KP defender or Moir. 42 A ruck but thinks we may have that covered
Maintaining an F1 will give us a look at another balanced mid to complement the other youngsters. If not we can always trade for someone like Sheldrick in the next couple of years.

Would love to have Reid, Hewett, Tholstrup and Collard running through mid/half forward. Restore the arrogance and flair that seems to have evaporated from our list over the last few years.

The West.

AFL Draft 2023: AFL talent guru Kevin Sheehan backs talented Lance Collard after incredible end to season​

Where Lance Collard will land in this month’s National Draft is looming as one of the most intriguing storylines out of WA.
The Subiaco small forward has bolted into first-round contention after a strong season for the Lions in the colts as well as a good showing at the National Draft Combine – where he won the agility test with an incredible time of 8.147 seconds.

Collard, 18, was a standout in the colts, kicking 32 goals in 11 games, but was inconsistent for WA at the Under-18 Championships.
After struggling in the opening two games, Collard lit it up against Vic Country, booting two late goals.

AFL talent ambassador Kevin Sheehan compared Collard’s year to that of Western Bulldogs skipper Marcus Bontempelli who also had a quite national championships before bursting onto the scene later in the year.

“Lance looked a player to watch out for no doubt and I think the opposition realised that too and he had some fairly close checking in those games,” Sheehan said.

“It’s not uncommon for boys to go into the that, particularly when there’s no supply, and not have a great championship, especially as a small forward and you’re not getting a lot of the ball around your area.

“People learn from the nationals – that’s what it’s designed for, it’s a development program – and often come home and kick on late in the year.

Sheehan has likened Collard’s late bloom to Marcus Bontempelli. No
“Famously Marcus Bontempelli wasn’t an All-Australian in the nationals, but late in that year he took off when he realised, he could play amongst the best.

“Collard has done a bit of the same with the way he’s played those last half a dozen games at under-18 level – he’s started to blossom as a player who is playing with confidence.”

The first round of this year’s draft is expected to balloon out to about 25 picks after the father-sons and academy selections.
Sheehan said because of this he wouldn’t be surprised if Collard landed late in that first round, but believed he’d be taken somewhere between picks 20 and 30.

“It depends on where you rate the need for small forwards – he’s arguably in the best two or three of those that we’ve got in the pool,” Sheehan said.

“No doubt Nick Watson is probably the best performed small forward … Zane Duursma is a medium-forward rather than a small one, but he’s the most creative of the guys that can mark the ball as well.
“Lance is a different type of player, but I think between 20 and 30 might be his spot.”

IMHO we will be pushing top 8 next year, people are sleeping on the quality of our senior players if they can get on the park.

F1 could be OP this year and could a solid play to get a Curtin type..

That’s a highly optimistic view of our chances next year but nice to see someone retaining hope for us

However, if we do trade out our F1 it needs to be done with the understanding that we are trading out a likely top 4 pick and potentially pick 1. That’s the value we need to ascribe to it

Whoever we’re dealing with though will be factoring in the potential for us to improve. So whilst they’d be hoping for a very early pick, they’d be assessing any deal on a what if they get better

It’s why if we do go after a trade with the likes of GWS or Melbourne for their R1 pick, we aren’t going to get much change from our F1

We have to be confident Curtin is worth a top 4 pick to do any trade.

If we do improve like you suggest such that we end up getting Curtin for what becomes a double digit pick, then happy days. But it’s not what we should be basing a trade on

Can I just point out just how ******* pointless a two night draft is?

Whoever decided that deserves rotten milk under their windscreen on a 45 degree day.

Although I'm keen to know who we pick, it's hardly the event the AFL is attempting to make it out to be. It reminds me of what Bill Burr said - who's a ridiculous sports fan - the draft is so boring, just read the list in the paper the next day (or these days at your leisure online).

Any media articles I’ve read that mention it, state that we have the first pick on night 2

I’ve not seen anything official so I’m not sure if media have been told or they are just making the logical assumption that R1 ends on night 1 and R2 starts on night 2

I remain sceptical

As I’ve posted before, there hasn’t been an end of R1 FA compensation pick in play since 2018 when we had one for Scott Lycett

That pick was the first pick on night 2 which was also the first year the draft was split over 2 nights

Clubs are allowed more time to make selections in R1 and there’s more ancillary activities on the first night which drag the first round out. It’s part of why they made the split in the first place

As it stands, R1 is likely to involve 27, maybe 28 picks. It’s going to be a long night

Conversely, given the expectation there will be somewhere between 52 and 62 overall draft selections, there might only be as many selections on night 2 as there were on night 1. Maybe 3 or 4 more

For an AFL, in the words of Laura Kane, that is running the line that the draft isn’t compromised but complex the above is an image problem

When R1 makes up 50%, or close to it, of the total draft that’s a problem which would be highlighted if the entirety of R1 is held on the first night. It’s a problem that could be masked by ending night 1 after the natural R1 picks are done when Collingwood make their pick (currently 19 but will likely push back to 24)

It’s not like the AFL don’t have a history of making rules up on the run to suit themselves and as I said earlier, precedent is for end of R1 compo picks to be taken on night 2. Even if it is a precedent of one

If we do hold the first pick (currently pick 23) on night 2 and receive offers to trade down, I doubt we want to slide too far so these clubs are the options :

24 - Gold Coast : Will be used up to match the Walter bid unless it’s traded before then
25 - Geelong: They’d be moving up a single spot so unlikely to trade unless they think we’re going to draft the player they want. In that scenario I’m keeping the pick
26,27 - Gold Coast : See above
28 - Carlton : They’ll need points for the Camporeale twins next year so I doubt they want to burn future picks to move up as few as 2 spots in an even area of the draft
29 - Richmond : This is their first pick of the draft and maybe they get excited if a target of theirs is still on the board. They have two F2 picks (theirs and Fremantle) so they might be interested in sacrificing one of those to jump up
30 - Brisbane : See Carlton re the need for points next year for the second coming of Ashcroft. They’re also a leading candidate to be chasing pick 24 from Gold Coast using this pick as the centrepiece
31 - Essendon : We’d be sliding back at least 5 spots by this point so it’s getting less attractive. However, Essendon have 35 as well so 31 and 35 might be handy as we’d then have 31,35,37. Depends on what our draft board looks like and the risk of moving back 5 places to get another R2 pick
32 - Gold Coast : Again
33 - Collingwood : Not sure getting a late F2 makes moving back 6+ spots justified
34 - Fremantle : No
35 - Essendon : See above
36 - Gold Coast : And again
37 - oh look it’s back to us

Pending other pick swaps on the night, I see only Richmond and Essendon as clubs that would have something worth accepting

I’d be more inclined to use pick 23 in conjunction with our F2 to move up into the mid to later range of R1 if possible

Or just use the pick ourselves
85qh4s.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back