List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

This is my take on our U25 Team after the National Draft:
1700570525779.png

A few things stand out:
  1. We have almost no rebounding defenders who can kick - forcing me to put players out of their ideal positions.
  2. We are still light on for high quality KPD prospects, Bazzo is decent, but unlikely to be a true KPD more suited to the role of a third tall.
Reading points 1 and 2 above - it now makes a bit more sense why we were willing to offer our F1 in a straight swap for Curtin, he would have filled those needs perfectly.​
3. Whilst we have a large number of U25's on our list, we are still lacking in elite level talent when compared to other rebuilding sides (Hopefully we have elevate themselves into the elite category this year like Ginbey and Hewett).​
Our Biggest Needs for Next Years Draft to me are:​
1. Designated Kickers/HBF​
2. Outside leaning Mids or Wings​
3. KPD​
Wouldn't mind another small forward either (Sanchez in the rookie draft anyone?)​

Perhaps I’m being overly optimistic, but that was almost a great draft haul from the eagles.

Clay hall will be an inside bull with shades of priddis and Dwayne lamb about him, but looks quite a bit quicker. He will compliment Harley, Reuben and Elijah perfectly and in 3-4 years that will be a very competitive midfield quartet plus Johnston looks like he can play as well so hopefully he develops nicely.

Archer Reid has some serious mits on him and despite being a beanpole can leap to 3.42m at full stretch so not many defenders that will be able to counter that. Give him a couple of years and he should hopefully fill out and fit in well.

What they are missing though for the future is a quality CHB and they will be absolutely gutted to have missed out on curtin. Regardless of where our future first lands next year it was definitely the right strategy for our list needs to try and secure him.

Probably unlikely we get him back in a few years, but we definitely need to find a replacement for McGovern and while I like bazzo I think he will be a quality 3rd tall. So, hopefully we can fill this need quickly to bring us back and continue to fast track our re-build.

Well done WCE draft team!

Would still love to see De la rue rookie drafted tomorrow. From his highlights, he Has great vision and finds his targets giving them plenty of space to run into.

View attachment 1858376

A few things stand out:
  1. We have almost no rebounding defenders who can kick - forcing me to put players out of their ideal positions.
  2. We are still light on for high quality KPD prospects, Bazzo is decent, but unlikely to be a true KPD more suited to the role of a third tall.
Reading points 1 and 2 above - it now makes a bit more sense why we were willing to offer our F1 in a straight swap for Curtin, he would have filled those needs perfectly.​
3. Whilst we have a large number of U25's on our list, we are still lacking in elite level talent when compared to other rebuilding sides (Hopefully we have elevate themselves into the elite category this year like Ginbey and Hewett).​
3. KPD​
Wouldn't mind another small forward either (Sanchez in the rookie draft anyone?)​
I think we're going to have to turn some of other talls into KPD. Jameson, Waterman or maybe Jack Williams are the ones that spring to mind. Maybe Barnett too (archer Reid can ruck).

We seem to have a lot of young forwards: Allen, Maric, B Williams (forward ruck), J Williams, Maric, Archer Reid. Also have Barnett as a ruck. That's very unbalanced, which is why I think some are going to have to move back.

Please to Sanchez and Weatherill in the rookie draft.

Weatherill will only be a role player imo but so will Jack Williams. The huge benefit Weatherill has is that he's a genuine FF where his lower level athleticism can be offset. Jack Williams is a CHF where lower levels of athleticism are much harder to overcome.

Sanchez makes things happen and is to me a perfect cripps replacement in a couple of years time.

A lot of players going much later than expected or undrafted. A common theme was lack of speed meant you dropped down the order or weren't selected.

Jamieson should be given a shot as a KPD.
Would get absolutely monstered. On the lead maybe but smart forwards would force him to engage and eat him alive.

Honestly think Jamieson to KPD is the new Darling to the midfield.

Got to tell Andrew Mackie a story today, the only real highlight of the draft for me.

Think Freo drafted really well considering the picks they had. All 3 players have a major deficiency but their positive aspects are very good and help balance their team well in that lack of speed on their draftees will be offset by the very fast players in the positions that surround them.

I wish all the eagles draftees the best but am only really happy with the Hall pick. Reid was always going pick 1 so it's really nothing to chirp about.

Not Chasing talls with the clubs latter picks just astounds me.

I think we're going to have to turn some of other talls into KPD. Jameson, Waterman or maybe Jack Williams are the ones that spring to mind. Maybe Barnett too (archer Reid can ruck).

We seem to have a lot of young forwards: Allen, Maric, B Williams (forward ruck), J Williams, Maric, Archer Reid. Also have Barnett as a ruck. That's very unbalanced, which is why I think some are going to have to move back.
It is a bit unbalanced but you've got Maric Twice? Maybe you meant Waterman/Culley?

I don't think it's as bad as it looks on the surface. There's every chance J Williams and Jamieson don't make the grade and get delisted next year.
B Williams might not make as a fwd and could go back to rucking.
Maric is a third tall.

Archer Reid probably the one most capable of making a transition to KPD of that lot - there's just a base level of athleticism and speed needed as a KPD a few of the others don't have - they would just get scorched on the lead.

Happy to have Reid. 203cm or 6 foot 8 is ideal for a CHF who can Ruck if you're mobile and can kick well. Between him and Barnett at the same size, you'd hope one of them could lock down the role. We've got 2 more years of Darling on big money due to our inept list manager. But you'd hope that when Darling's form go's to s**t again next year, like it did this year, that one of those boys will be given a 5 or 10 game block of footy to learn what it takes to play the role.

Got to tell Andrew Mackie a story today, the only real highlight of the draft for me.

Think Freo drafted really well considering the picks they had. All 3 players have a major deficiency but their positive aspects are very good and help balance their team well in that lack of speed on their draftees will be offset by the very fast players in the positions that surround them.

I wish all the eagles draftees the best but am only really happy with the Hall pick. Reid was always going pick 1 so it's really nothing to chirp about.

Not happy with Archer, but wanted us to go tall with our later picks?
If you were happy with Hall, that only really leaves the Johnston pick, unless you wanted us to take 5 in the draft?

Who would you have taken - ZZ, Schoenmaker? I was wanting ZZ at 49 myself.

We passed rather then take Schoenmaker despite not having taken a KPD
Which demonstrates what we thought of him. If it was ZZ that was still available I reckon we would have taken him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The story wasn't about a particular island, was it?

What’s your main knock on Cooper Simpson?

Also what talls would you have chased? Still have the rookie draft tomorrow to grab a couple.

I believe Zakostelsky won't see a senior game for 3 or 4 seasons, unless we have a genuine injury crisis with our tall defenders.

Simpson was at the very top of my list for our first pick, but we were prioritising KPP's this draft.

Torrent was a surprising pick. His highlight videos look good.

We've got a decent stockpile of WA kids from recent drafts.

LOL why are you giving us a run down on Lions? heck em, your a closet eagles fan. Give us a rundown on our draft mate.

Any chance you're going to give us a sneaky peek at what happened behind the scenes, and who you ended up working for? And during the trade season why Hawks was pissing in your pocket.

Reid

Reid this is the future OA partner. Give him 2 yrs in the WAFL until darling retires.

Hall inside bull. We need this type of player.

Johnston gaffs wing

I'm glass half full here.

If we could pick up Patton as a rookie I'm happy. Leadership.

So one of each
Gun, KPF, Inside mid, outside mid, defender

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

General Patton?

I haven’t seen much at all of ZZ but a kid of his size new to footy is going to have to be something special to be a good AFL player. He would be years and years away.With the speed of the game today you need more than an athletic profile and grunt.
That said I’m also surprised at not taking a KPD as that was my main call before the draft.
Looking at snippets of Hall, I like him.Hunts the ball.
I agree with some posters in that our future midfield will be frightening!!

View attachment 1858376

A few things stand out:
3. KPD​
Your first point is something I have been banging on about for months. We probably missed a chance today to take a high quality half back player.

I agree strongly with the two areas of need you have listed. In a perfect world we should be drafting an outside mid tomorrow.

I think its harsh to say AReid is better than Bazzo at this stage. I would rate them similarly.

The biggest need for key positions on our list was getting a tall forward that can actually ruck and we addressed that perfectly with Archer Reid.

Disappointed to miss out on Cooper Simpson, as a fan of his pre - draft, but conversely happy to have picked up a KPF.

Bailey is projecting as a perfectly suitable Ruck/Fwd but the jury is out on Jack, even if I think he is developing nicely. Having another tall to develop does not hurt.

Also, how excited did Harvey Johnson sound chatting to Simmo. That’s the sort of stuff I love about draft night- young blokes getting the chance to play AFL footy. Can’t wait to see them in action.
I doubt Jack Williams will ever be a forward that can ruck based on his ruck performance this year. However no reason why he cant develop into a key forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back