Past Travis Johnstone (2008-2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Travis Johnstone

I thought Travis had been unfairly criticised when there has been a lack of options to kick to upfield. But it seems that having nothing to kick to happens a lot more to him than other players.

There were some comments suggesting that he waits too long for the perfect option and I think there might be something in this. And perhaps after having their leads ignored, players aren't working so hard to provide him an option.

Even though Johnstone is not overly quick and he lacks penetration with his kicking, it might be better for him to try to bust a line and compel players to come to him by increasing the number of his inside 50 deliveries. I agree that when he has the ball deep in defence or on the half back flank, players have not been doing the hard run and present work and as a consequence Johnstone can look as ordinary going forward as we know he can be going the other way.

All that said, the real issue is not Travis Johnstone, but the lack of run in our team and a lack of work ethic that has been all too apparent this year. On numerous occasions Voss has lamented our failures in these areas, now it is time to do something about it. At the start of this year most of us were banging on about our midfield and the lack of clearances we were getting at stop plays as our major onfield issue, the lack of run and effort that we have seen this year can be added to that as the equal most pressing issue to be addressed for 2011 in my opinion.

He is definatley worse trying to handball and manufacture something out of the backline that way rather than kicking it, but i think Grim might be right, he is someone that tries to slot those impossible kicks. He wants to hit someone on the chest as opposed to just kicking it to a contest on the boundary.

I think he does look a lot better playing across HB rather than a bit deeper. I think he is better at finding a target coming off HB than he is at kickin from the pocket where he doesn't like kicking to a contest.

Link

Jordan Lewis backed up his superb job on Geelong's Corey Enright last week with an equally impressive job on Brisbane's go-to man Travis Johnstone.

Lewis kept Johnstone to just 16 touches, while he gathered 26 himself and also hurt the Lions on the scoreboard with four goals, including three in the first quarter to set up the Hawks' win.

johnstone10.jpg

You really can't expect our defence to still look mint after our midfield gets smashed week after week. I think he'd look very good if he played in a team with an awesome midfield like the cats or the saints.

Fat lady appears to have sung on the career of Travis Johnstone at Brisbane. Can't say that I am surprised. He has had plenty of chances and while he looked the goods for a while this season, his lack of defensive work ethic and run have finally caught up with him.

I'd like to see him get a couple of games in the midfield before the end of the year. The back pocket isn't his position although it has been tough to play there when the lions have been losing and he did play a couple of good games e.g. the Kangaroos possession-fest. But play him where he has always played in the midfield and who know maybe with Rich now getting tagged Trav may be able to fly under the radar and have a bit more of an influence. And escpecially if the lions lose two mids (Brennan and Rischitelli) to the Suns then the Lions will probably need him in the midfield. Shows how complacent he is though that he requires the 'foot on throat' mentality to play good footy.

There is no doubt that TJ got taken to the cleaners v the Hawks, he was made to look second rate. I still think that he is a player worth persisting with, however i do agree with him being omitted this week. It is hard these days with the zones, no one really plays on 1 player, and i think our lack of effort and hunger hurts us defensively in a zone. I would rather see TJ given a run with role task to see if he is up to it or not.

He isn't an overly quick player, and that can be a problem playing as a defender. Tj should get another go, but time is running out for him. If other players step up and take his place, he could have a very very hard time getting back in. He then comes surplus to demand.

I know he wasnt great against hawthorn but still had 16 disposals and wasnt bad enough to be omitted, we will struggle against geelong because with mcgrath suspended and tj dropped and rich most likely tagged we will have no rebound from defense, merett can rebound but cant use the ball at all.

AFLQ

vs The Northern Territory Thunder

Johnstone imposed himself on the game in the middle, winning plenty of clearances and chopping off any Thunder counter-punches a kick behind the play. It was Johnstone who put his side in front for the first time with a calm set shot in the fourth quarter after the Thunder had missed at the other end.

Link

Johnstone finished with 38 disposals, 11 tackles and used the ball to telling effect

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to see Trav playing well and hopefully come back next week, i for one dont want him delisted i would rather for his sake his career ends on a good note either retiring end of this year or in the next 2 years.

Link

In a see-sawing final quarter, both sides squandered several chances and Travis Johnstone's miss was one of the worst. The Lions locked the ball in their goal square when he seized the Sherrin cleanly, only to grubber the ball through for a point from three metres out to level the scores.

There were 2 players standing in front of him though so if he had kicked straight it would have rebounded off there shins. After playing footy up until my body could no longer take it;):p I understand that natural instinc would have caused Trav to try a miricale and try to curve it around the players in front of him rather than kick it straight into them even though when you are watching you know that there is no chance of it suceeding but when your out on the field you only have that split second to make a decision and Trav didn't have time to think that it wasn't going to pay off he just kicked it anywhere but in front in which it would rebound of the Adelaides players leg. Hard to explain and even harder to understand but still a shocking game from Trav and although I hate to pick on him he probally has to go:(

Bye Bye Travis .. :-(.. His career at the lions has been full of many oblivious Brisbane supporters who don't entirely understand any certain situation on a football field critizing him when probably three quarters of the time he couldn't have done much more. Pretty sad really.

I really think unless you have a huge body like jono brown and could smash through the players your never gonna kick that.

I really think unless you have a huge body like jono brown and could smash through the players your never gonna kick that.
Exactly but that's why i am saying he kicked a behind becuase natural instinc tels you not to kick it straight into the player in front of you even though thats where the goals are!

sad to see a player with so much ability be so lazy and mentally weak, was a good risk by brisbane trying to turn his career around and he did play some fantastic games for both our clubs but surely he has played his last game at afl level.

sad to see a player with so much ability be so lazy and mentally weak, was a good risk by brisbane trying to turn his career around and he did play some fantastic games for both our clubs but surely he has played his last game at afl level.

see i don't think i saw one instance this season of travis johnstone being "lazy".. it's such a perceived stereotype of him that whenever something doesn't go his way people say he is lazy and couldn't give a s**t. i think it's complete bull the way his career has turned out to be honest. he is the biggest scapegoat i've ever witnessed.

I'll also remember him as being unfairly scapegoated.

Was held to a much higher standard than most other players.

On performance, he is still in our best 22, easily but will be moved on to gain much needed salary cap space pissed away by a certain G. Allan who would fork out money for a bucketful of sand while standing in the middle of a desert.

Mark Robinson

Travis Johnstone's career may also be over. Not playing at the moment, out of contract, dropped three or four times this year, likelihood of another club picking him up almost zero ... I think it's over.

johnstone14.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back