Past Travis Johnstone (2008-2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Travis Johnstone

I'll also remember him as being unfairly scapegoated.

Was held to a much higher standard than most other players.

On performance, he is still in our best 22, easily but will be moved on to gain much needed salary cap space pissed away by a certain G. Allan who would fork out money for a bucketful of sand while standing in the middle of a desert.

This.
He's comfortably in your best 22, but for some reason he is held to different standards to most other players on your list.
I still think he should have been played purely in the midfield and not down in defence. He is an attacking outside mid, a perfect wingman, and it was a shame to see him wind up toiling away in the backline with the ball coming in a million miles an hour due to complete lack of pressure from your midfield. One of many poor coaching moves from Voss this year.
I hope he somehow plays on, because I think he still has a lot to offer, and he is great to watch when he's on.

I still think he should have been played purely in the midfield and not down in defence. He is an attacking outside mid, a perfect wingman, and it was a shame to see him wind up toiling away in the backline with the ball coming in a million miles an hour due to complete lack of pressure from your midfield. One of many poor coaching moves from Voss this year.

His output this year was fairly similar to when he was playing in the midfield. He seems to have significant flaws in his game no matter where he plays.

I've been thinking that we should give Johnstone a one-year contract. Although it looked fairly certain that his career was over towards the end of the season, I'd have to say that considering the likely loss of other players, that Johnstone may well be a required player to keep on for another year at this stage.

Considering that Johnstone was still able to put in some very good performances during the year, I think he'd be worth keeping around for another year just to at least provide some experience and depth, if not also to improve the quality of the team. With Drummond hopefully back in the team, along with Adcock and Hanley also in defense, perhaps Johnstone could return to a wing or half-forward role and provide some quality disposal to our key forwards.

I'd see Johnstone getting another year as being no different to the likes of B.Scott, C.Scott and T.Notting who were arguably given more time than most pundits thought they deserved.

Could still have some trade value, the dogs look for older experienced players and could give us a pick 60-80. either that or just give him a year and let him retire on a good note.

As we will struggle to make the top 14 next season I think we should play a kid in his place.

I reckon we'll have enough young players playing as it is and we'll be needing mature players to help the team get through the season.

After all, even if some of the younger players are getting a game ahead of Johnstone, it's probably not the best thing to have to dig deep into the lower parts of the list and be fielding unready rookies should injuries befall us like in 2010.

I really want Johnstone to get another year, really need him. He wasn't that bad this season, just was a victim of our poor year. Please Lions, give Trav another year.

Foolish to let Trapper go now. We need him through the midfield, Johnstone must get as fit as possible and play the season of his life. Roll the dice with him.

I reckon we'll have enough young players playing as it is and we'll be needing mature players to help the team get through the season.

After all, even if some of the younger players are getting a game ahead of Johnstone, it's probably not the best thing to have to dig deep into the lower parts of the list and be fielding unready rookies should injuries befall us like in 2010.

Agree totally, all good points. Travis is sometimes woeful with his disposal but he racks it up and moves it out of the back or wing well. He doesn't go hard enough at the play but he understands the game when he has the ball. I think giving him another year is a good thing; he probably realises he might not command a big salary and with us losing players like Riska, Brennan and Sherman who are older than the youngins it'd be worth at least having a go at working something out for another year with a solid mature player like Trapper.

If he fails he can get dropped til he regains form and can remain as depth, we all know he's inconsistent. I've bagged him a lot this season but I've become convinced it'd be a good thing as of late.

2009 Review

2010 End of Season Review

Games - 15
Best and Fairest - 15.5 votes (18th)
Dreamteam - 1287 points; $330,300 (+$2,300)
Supercoach - 1330 points; $383,500 (-$6,500)

Frustrating

With Johnstone struggling against taggers last year, Voss decided to move him into defence to free him up. The plan was successful to a degree as Johnstone was consistently able to get his hands on the ball (he averaged 22 disposals a game, which was the 5th highest at the club). The drawback though was his poor defensive game became exposed, especially against players with pace. Like previous years, he was also criticised for taking too long to dispose the ball, often leading to rushed kicks under heavy pressure.

Travis began well but seemed to gradually decline with each game. Still, it was a surprise when he was dropped in round 8. Voss had explained that Johnstone responds best when the coach is tough on him, and it perhaps this admission had come to bite him on the backside. Johnstone was sent to the reserves to work on his defensive game and in round 10 he got a reprieve. Johnstone’s demotion had stung him into action, and he had a very good month of football, but just like before his performances gradually began to decline. In round 17 he was dropped again and apart from one game in round 20, played out the rest of the year in the reserves.

At 30 years of age, out of contract and still frustrating the coach with his performances it is possible he has played his last game of AFL footy. On talent alone he is still a starting 18 player, but with the ups and downs in form, which many say is due to a lack of application, he inhibits growth as a team. Under normal circumstances he would probably already have been delisted, but with the Lions facing the imminent loss of experienced players, Johnstone's experience may see him get a reprieve. The problem though is that Johnstone, a noted front runner, is not the type you want holding the forte for young players to prosper.

If Trapper is not offered another contract it will be a sad end. Perhaps being a number 1 draft pick has over inflated his perceived ability, but the lasting memory he would leave is of someone who didn't put in the hard yards and was unable to get the best out of himself.

johnstone.jpg

He is the biggest wasted talent in the AFL. He should have been a top 10-15 player but never seemed to constantly apply himself. He would have a few games where he was a world beater and then not look interested for a month.

I think the problem with Trapper is that he looks lethargic. When he is on he looks sensational, because he makes the game look easy. However the drawback is when he is struggling he looks as if he doesn't want to be out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ppl don't understand how good this kid was/could have been.

Some of his games in 2002. Wow. Simply breathtaking. I hope you guys extend his contract even if its just for one more year to provide a bit of support for Rockliff, Rich and co. Still think he is a valuable player

I think our decisions of late have been more inconsistent than the man himself, wasn't the review of coaching staff?

Johnstone is a fringe player at 31. The only reason you would keep him around is if he was great in the clubhouse. With the departure of some of the older guys I thought there was a chance he would stay but he was always a big risk to be let go. He is not going to be getting any better and the young guys they would be letting go could definately do so.

Yeah, from what I've heard he is gone. I thought he might have been a chance of a one year contract on a reduced salary.

Happy to see the back of him. Was rarely a contributor and never seemed to be able to give what the coach was asking him to. Give his spot to a young fella and give them a chance.

Oh well has his games and was one of the best vote getters for us in the brownlow (we didnt get many) could have trade value he should be at least floated around.

Johnstone is a fringe player at 31. The only reason you would keep him around is if he was great in the clubhouse. With the departure of some of the older guys I thought there was a chance he would stay but he was always a big risk to be let go. He is not going to be getting any better and the young guys they would be letting go could definately do so.
31 at the end of next season

Lions star Travis Johnstone on outer
  • Mark Stevens
  • October 26, 2010 12:00AM
The Lions lost experienced players Michael Rischitelli, Justin Sherman and Jared Brennan in the trade period, but still appear hell-bent on heading down a youth path. It is understood Johnstone, 30, is keen to play on, but the Lions' lack of action to re-sign him is an obvious concern.
It is unlikely Johnstone, the No. 1 pick in the 1997 draft, would attract interest elsewhere despite his talent.

johnstone13.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back