Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

My concern with Cotch is the physical punishment he receives will shorten his time in the game. Gets bashed from pillar to post.

Speaking to a couple of insiders early in the year when things weren't going so well it was all about how to generate a bit of "fun" footy for the Skipper.
Constant bashing and crashing for no reward is not good for your spirit. Thankfully things have picked up (Miles!) and you can see the result in Cotch's game.

My concern with Cotch is the physical punishment he receives will shorten his time in the game. Gets bashed from pillar to post.

Speaking to a couple of insiders early in the year when things weren't going so well it was all about how to generate a bit of "fun" footy for the Skipper.
Constant bashing and crashing for no reward is not good for your spirit. Thankfully things have picked up (Miles!) and you can see the result in Cotch's game.

Loving Miles. I imagine Dustin playing better and Brett's return have helped a lot. Opposition actually have to think about who to tag now, rather than just gang up on Cotch.

I put it in the Autopsy thread but may as well chuck it in here too.

dj4mXsP.gif

Like the look of the pop-up graphic showing us kicking seven of last nine goals, too :D

The Chimp was awesome on the weekend.

Ran his guts out.

My only minor complaint would be that I'd like him to nail more of those sets shots though. He can be a damaging resting forward.
Just on this, can someone please tell him to aim at the left goal post when having a set shot, as he always misses to the right by not much. RFC_Official ?

Bullshit hannebury instigated the likelyhood of any contact not Cotchin , the emphasis is upon who instigates the contact .
Two points here.
1. Your relying on umps recognising who instigating contact
2. Whilst I agree with the who instigates the contact point, I would be very interested if a player running past a contest in the wrong manner above a player on the ground(not completely stationary), if the umps say what your reading of the rule is.

cotchin is a beast, hes ******* stronger than he looks too ripping the ball away from kennedy is no mean feat, hes very clean inside and in close and his year this season has been better than his last two by far, its a different style to that of 2012 but its still just as effective. he's outside game is just as good too.

I get the feeling you're making a tongue in cheek comment, but if you're serious then you're delusional. He's one of our worst kicks. The reason he's the best player to lead to has nothing to do with his passing, it's that he's constantly in the position to do so, but I've lost count of the amount of chipped kicks that have missed an easy inside 50 target.

His leadrship has always been on point, even when he's having a poor game he's being vocal and never losing determination. Was ridiculous how much flack he copped for the coin toss decision last year, he got followed around for almost the whole match too. I still see people talking about that now.
No tongue in cheek and my tongue normally slides straight past the cheek , thanks for asking .
I think anyone who states ""The reason he's the best player to lead to has nothing to do with his passing, it's that he's constantly in the position to do so" is amongst other things delusional , great that spectators have differing opinions. Best we leave it to our full forward who is the recipient of his kicking then hey .

No tongue in cheek and my tongue normally slides straight past the cheek , thanks for asking .
I think anyone who states ""The reason he's the best player to lead to has nothing to do with his passing, it's that he's constantly in the position to do so" is amongst other things delusional , great that spectators have differing opinions. Best we leave it to our full forward who is the recipient of his kicking then hey .

Can't think of any other reason why one would think Cotchin's disposal is elite, it's just common knowledge that it isn't. Very good by hand, average by foot. Chipped kicks are easy to mark, just not when they lack the speed and penetration to get to the man on the lead before his opponent closes him down, or if they're floating to nothing. Speed and penetration being the things Cotchin lacks in his kicking unless he's snapping it on the side.

Cotchin himself knows this, the coaches know this and the media know this, it's been something that has been addressed before he was even drafted.

When I did my coaching course they talked about it too, discussing the importance of penetration through the kick and quick passing, the examples of what not to do were Cotchin and Marc Murphy.

Can't think of any other reason why one would think Cotchin's disposal is elite, it's just common knowledge that it isn't. Very good by hand, average by foot. Chipped kicks are easy to mark, just not when they lack the speed and penetration to get to the man on the lead before his opponent closes him down, or if they're floating to nothing. Speed and penetration being the things Cotchin lacks in his kicking unless he's snapping it on the side.

Cotchin himself knows this, the coaches know this and the media know this, it's been something that has been addressed before he was even drafted.

When I did my coaching course they talked about it too, discussing the importance of penetration through the kick and quick passing, the examples of what not to do were Cotchin and Marc Murphy.
Whoever took your coaching coarse kicking session knows Jack s**t and I have never heard of anything similar at any of multitude coarse's I have attended .

What a massive structural breakdown. How do you let a player like Jack stand unguarded inside 50 on the goal side of the contest?
Jack's man was on the ground tackling Cotch.

It was an incredible effort by Cotchin, no doubt. But Jack's opponent shouldn't have been sucked in to the contest, particularly considering they already outnumbered us. Goes to show that even the best teams make mistakes.
A couple of seconds earlier, Jack was in the contest too. He saw Cotch had it and made space. Brilliant play by both and little the opposition could do.

Whoever took your coaching coarse kicking session knows Jack s**t and I have never heard of anything similar at any of multitude coarse's I have attended .

If you don't understand the importance of quick penetrative kicking, then I refuse to believ you've ever coached or played the game in your life.

Heck, even just watching the sport for a year would surely make one understand it.

If you don't understand the importance of quick penetrative kicking, then I refuse to believ you've ever coached or played the game in your life.

Heck, even just watching the sport for a year would surely make one understand it.
Tipping I have played and coached more and at a higher level than you and that includes in the developing of high end talent .
The greater the speed the ball travels the less room for error . The greatest kicks, kick to space and provide a forward the greatest opportunity to out position their opponent . Cotchin has the ability to kick the ball flat and fast which he has always possessed right back to when he represented Victoria as a 11 or 12 year old .He does however rightfully on most occasions choose to take the pace off it and kick to space .
You argue here that he is not a great kick and then go to argue in another thread that Lids is better .
Who gives a s**t who is better if they both end up holding onto a premiership cup . Praising one of them shouldn't be seen as a knock on the other or vice versa .

Jack's man was on the ground tackling Cotch.

A couple of seconds earlier, Jack was in the contest too. He saw Cotch had it and made space. Brilliant play by both and little the opposition could do.

Great comment! & to me is the difference between a team who has confidence in each other & not. Even though Cotch was more than covered Jack still put separation between himself & the contest knowing that Cotch would deliver. If he(Cotch) didn't the swans were out of there on the counter with numbers

Tipping I have played and coached more and at a higher level than you and that includes in the developing of high end talent .
The greater the speed the ball travels the less room for error . The greatest kicks, kick to space and provide a forward the greatest opportunity to out position their opponent . Cotchin has the ability to kick the ball flat and fast which he has always possessed right back to when he represented Victoria as a 11 or 12 year old .He does however rightfully on most occasions choose to take the pace off it and kick to space .
You argue here that he is not a great kick and then go to argue in another thread that Lids is better .
Who gives a s**t who is better if they both end up holding onto a premiership cup . Praising one of them shouldn't be seen as a knock on the other or vice versa .

Mate, you are talking absolute dribble. I didn't say Deledio is better, I said if I had to pick an all round player I'd pick Deledio and if I had to pick a midfielder I'd pick Cotchin. I wasn't looking for comparisons or anything, I was trying to explain to the bloke I quoted that it's not worth making comparisons. That's the same reason I'm always ranting about how stupid the A, B, C grade tier ratings are. I think you're just getting overly defensive here.

To imply that Cotchin's kicking penetration isn't and never has been an issue is ridiculous. Maybe when he was 11 or 12 he did have consistent low penettrative kicking, but from the ages 16+ including TAC CUP and even in his early years at the club I know for an absolute fact that it was something that was deemed worth trying to teach him by coaches and even worth taking note of as a player scout before he was drafted. Take off your rose tinted glasses for the next match and just watch how many times he chips the ball or refuses to straighten up to kick a long drop punt, opting for a snap instead despite having enough time and space, simply because his drop punt kicking style far too often lacks speed and penetration. The positive I suppose is that his short distance chips to a fairly open player are low risk and often reach their target, it's still a terrible option going inside 50 or to a marked player though.

Edit: Because I don't think I mentioned earlier, one of the blokes who took my course has done coaching at AFL level, TAC Cup level and for one of the Vic teams ( I assume metro). Not that it's entirely relevent, but I doubt someone who is s**t could get gigs like that. The other blokes weren't far behind either.

Mate, you are talking absolute dribble. I didn't say Deledio is better, I said if I had to pick an all round player I'd pick Deledio and if I had to pick a midfielder I'd pick Cotchin. I wasn't looking for comparisons or anything, I was trying to explain to the bloke I quoted that it's not worth making comparisons. That's the same reason I'm always ranting about how stupid the A, B, C grade tier ratings are. I think you're just getting overly defensive here.

To imply that Cotchin's kicking penetration isn't and never has been an issue is ridiculous. Maybe when he was 11 or 12 he did have consistent low penettrative kicking, but from the ages 16+ including TAC CUP and even in his early years at the club I know for an absolute fact that it was something that was deemed worth trying to teach him by coaches and even worth taking note of as a player scout before he was drafted. Take off your rose tinted glasses for the next match and just watch how many times he chips the ball or refuses to straighten up to kick a long drop punt, opting for a snap instead despite having enough time and space, simply because his drop punt kicking style far too often lacks speed and penetration. The positive I suppose is that his short distance chips to a fairly open player are low risk and often reach their target, it's still a terrible option going inside 50 or to a marked player though.

Edit: Because I don't think I mentioned earlier, one of the blokes who took my course has done coaching at AFL level, TAC Cup level and for one of the Vic teams ( I assume metro). Not that it's entirely relevent, but I doubt someone who is s**t could get gigs like that. The other blokes weren't far behind either.
When i made jets squad 3 years ago they made us kick five set shots with a heavier ball on some nights and also use resistant lacker bands around our ankle to help our muscle memory/strength improve, I noticed a difference

Back