Player Watch Trent McKenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

PORT TO REWARD VETERAN

TRENT McKenzie will be rewarded for another resurgence in 2023 with a new deal at Alberton.

The 31-year-old has been offered a one-year contract extension with the potential for another season if he reaches a trigger.

I once asked Trent with such a weapon in your arsenal have you been told to focus on short kicks? "Yep" he said.

Had to bide his time for too long (imo) before becoming a regular which pi55ed him off. As we've all seen he's a lot more than a booming kick.

Nonetheless it's great to see him unload one

He's a great bloke, not overly chatty just a laid back, no nonsense straight shooter. Well done mate and congrats.

If things go to plan and we land a KPD to come into our best 22 this off-season. Then Trent won’t be getting a game, have we not learnt from Jonas this year. Sure he tries his guts out & has been a serviceable recruit for us. But why not wait till after trade period to make a decision on him for 2024. No other team will steal him. Time to be ruthless.

If things go to plan and we land a KPD to come into our best 22 this off-season. Then Trent won’t be getting a game, have we not learnt from Jonas this year. Sure he tries his guts out & has been a serviceable recruit for us. But why not wait till after trade period to make a decision on him for 2024. No other team will steal him. Time to be ruthless.
Trent is a far better footballer than Jonas.

If things go to plan and w eland a KPD to come into our best 22 and that KPD gets injured ?
The salary of TMc isnt going to impede any other contracts or trades that we do.

Clurey, Pasini, Marshall, McCullum all contracted next year. McKenzie is slightly better then all those, but atleast 2 of these should overtake a 32yo McKenzie.

Current form I’d play Trent over Burton

Clurey, Pasini, Marshall, McCullum all contracted next year. McKenzie is slightly better then all those, but atleast 2 of these should overtake a 32yo McKenzie.

Clurey is going to be 30 in March next year - he is what he is at this point of his career and it certainly isn't ahead of McKenzie.
Pasini has taken a huge step backwards this season though he is coming back form a big injury. Will get a chance next year but hardly worth banking on making it at AFL level.
Marshall is a very long term prospect whilst McCallum is never going to be a KPD taking on the big brutes like McKenzie does so there is no like for like comparison to be made there anyway.

His age is irrelevant - he's still playing really good footy and is ever reliant. Always going to get a 7-8/10 performance from him on a weekly basis, and it is that predictability and reliability that makes him held in such high regard within the playing group and the coaching staff.

Quite incredible as to how McKenzie has transformed himself from his initial arrival at Alberton at the end of 2017. That game against Essendon in round 4 of 2018 was an absolute disaster and I thought there was no chance he was going to get another game for the Club at that point let alone get a new contract. Even more remarkable that he went from being a half back running type to a KPD - it's just such a rare positional change to see at AFL level especially so far into one's career.

Last edited:
Then he plays SANFL all year and we have experienced depth, which is a good thing. Ideally Jonas and Clurey who are both true list cloggers won't be on our list next year, and it would be foolish to go into next year with just Aliir and Esava/McKay as experienced KPD options. None of Pasini, McCallum or Marshall are doing anything in the seconds to indicate they're ready to play AFL.

If things go to plan and w eland a KPD to come into our best 22 and that KPD gets injured ?
The salary of TMc isnt going to impede any other contracts or trades that we do.
Why can’t we trade 2 younger defenders in? Just don’t know why this decision couldn’t be made after trade week.
Think we overrate Trent, he has one the worst CDL% (Contested defensive losses) out of all key backs. And when not on the big key forwards gets torn apart by the medium agile forwards Rohan/Fritsch types.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well desevered.

Maybe he does get replaced in the 22 next year, and then the trigger doesn't matter.

But I think he's a good chance to still play, regardless of if we bring someone in. I don't think we want Bergman as the 3rd tall long term, so I think McKenzie could play that role in his last year or 2 alongside a bigger fullback.

Our man getting a pump up in Sliding Doors today:

IF ...​

anyone in 2011, when Trent McKenzie played in the inaugural match of the Gold Coast Suns, had him playing key defensive back for an SA premiership contender 14 seasons later and keeping that club's captain out of the team in the process ...

THEN ...​

I highly doubt it. One of the great stories of perseverance. Left the Suns after the 2017 season. Managed just one game in 2018, one game in 2019. Even last year, played just seven times.

Trent is a far better footballer than Jonas.
We have a big list of players with contracts expiring this year.

It is far easier to knock over the el cheapo contracts before they double down on the big fat ones.
Hell, how else will they work out how much of the $pie to use when they extend the contracts of Butters & Rozee.

I swear this already happened like a month ago. Am I being Berenstein Beared?
I think the AFL website might have said he agreed to an extension last month, but the club announced it today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back