Autopsy Trevor Barker Award, 2023 - Sinclair goes back-to-back, 30th Saint to win multiple B&F's

Who finishes top 3 in the B&F?

• Jade Gresham

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brad Crouch

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Bradley Hill

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Jack Steele

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Mitch Owens

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Hunter Clark

• Ryan Byrnes

• Liam Stocker

• Dan Butler

• Marcus Windhager

• Rowan Marshall

Votes: 38 53.5%
  • Dougal Howard

• Jack Higgins

• Mattaes Phillipou

• Josh Battle

• Mason Wood

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Jack Sinclair

Votes: 66 93.0%
  • Callum Wilkie

Votes: 46 64.8%
  • Anthony Caminiti

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

to me the B&F felt pretty quiet. good food, i like both the food and wine as you all would have noticed. but it seemed to me that it was a serious event. i never heard once the saints song, which was a pity.

goodie23 might have more to say regards to the night. he stayed longer than me.

This almost rivalled the 150th thread.

Some insane ramblings in here, good stuff
It was probably all the booze at home or at the venue George that's led to some insanity.

Nothing could top the 150th thread...!!!!!

I'll keep my powder dry for the moment on posting a report on the night .......bumped into Goodie23(don't want to steal his thunder) several times on the night and I think he said his report would be the one he was giving during the evening.

Also found Sammm and had a good chat.

Not sure what to put into a report about the night as the event was livestreamed, I've already posted a few photos and comments, didn't manage to talk to any players and it was probably the most uneventful B&F I've been to. Being a Monday night, didn't stay that late. But here goes:

Got there a bit after 7, first port of call was to grab a drink, second was to look at the silent auction. Fortunately there wasn't a prize for handing in the form early (read my report on the 2018 B&F to understand why), and nothing really caught my eye. There were also choc footies for sale for $50 each, some with a prize inside. Caught up with Saint Watto for the first time that night - just as well as the main other face I recognised was someone I preferred to avoid.

Went in and found my seat, not sure who you lot offended at some stage this year but we were shunted right out on the far edge near the back. sammm wound up on the other side of the table.

Entree was served pretty early, gnocchi with a pretty bland filling. Then Alicia began the thankless job of trying to get the room's attention. An extended acknowledgement of country, Bassatt telling us he'd be brief over and over, Ross being Ross, then Jack Sinclair's non-speech as the Sainter of the Year. Then the in memorium which seemed a little off with the timing, possibly because it was scheduled for after mains.

Had a decent chat to the supporter to my right, a consultant arborist of all things. She may have explained what that exactly means but I was two beers in at this point. A few times pretty young ladies came around to flog the silent auction or $50 choc footies but had little luck with our table.

I got the chicken for main which tasted like chicken, didn't pay attention to the vegetation around it. Was tempted to swap for the beef tenderloin but not a fan of mushrooms.

Alicia shushed the crowd again, Steeley spoke, a good effort but a bit stiff. The first 12 rounds of votes were shown, Wilkie and Sinclair were tied for first at the 6 and 12 round mark. The room approved of Owens and Nas being jointly awarded youngsters of the year - reckon there'll be some good friendly competition for years to come between Mitch, Nas and Windy. Satan did his thing and introduced our new sponsor, then the cars were unveiled at the back of the room.

Had a look at the cars, which all looked like formulaic four wheel drives I'd never buy, then went back for dessert. Smashed down the fondant and got into my third beer. The room was unsurprised Wilkie got Trademark but quite surprised Big Tom Campbell was Clubman. The vote count was brought to the inevitable close as Sinclair skipped ahead - rather pointlessly they showed the votes from the end of the H&A season, then the votes after the final. Anyone who listed to how the votes worked and could do maths already knew the top 5.

The top three were announced, a toast to Sincs, speech. Common thread amongst the speeches is "we want a bloody premiership already".

The night just kind of died after that, sammm left before me but not much happened after. Had a chat to Saint Watto before having to exit.

Just imagine the mess this place will be after the flag.
No one will be here, we’ll all be off somewhere celebrating!
Maybe we’ll need a Saints BF corner to meet up in at RSEA park.

Not sure what to put into a report about the night as the event was livestreamed, I've already posted a few photos and comments, didn't manage to talk to any players and it was probably the most uneventful B&F I've been to. Being a Monday night, didn't stay that late. But here goes:

Got there a bit after 7, first port of call was to grab a drink, second was to look at the silent auction. Fortunately there wasn't a prize for handing in the form early (read my report on the 2018 B&F to understand why), and nothing really caught my eye. There were also choc footies for sale for $50 each, some with a prize inside. Caught up with Saint Watto for the first time that night - just as well as the main other face I recognised was someone I preferred to avoid.

Went in and found my seat, not sure who you lot offended at some stage this year but we were shunted right out on the far edge near the back. sammm wound up on the other side of the table.

Entree was served pretty early, gnocchi with a pretty bland filling. Then Alicia began the thankless job of trying to get the room's attention. An extended acknowledgement of country, Bassatt telling us he'd be brief over and over, Ross being Ross, then Jack Sinclair's non-speech as the Sainter of the Year. Then the in memorium which seemed a little off with the timing, possibly because it was scheduled for after mains.

Had a decent chat to the supporter to my right, a consultant arborist of all things. She may have explained what that exactly means but I was two beers in at this point. A few times pretty young ladies came around to flog the silent auction or $50 choc footies but had little luck with our table.

I got the chicken for main which tasted like chicken, didn't pay attention to the vegetation around it. Was tempted to swap for the beef tenderloin but not a fan of mushrooms.

Alicia shushed the crowd again, Steeley spoke, a good effort but a bit stiff. The first 12 rounds of votes were shown, Wilkie and Sinclair were tied for first at the 6 and 12 round mark. The room approved of Owens and Nas being jointly awarded youngsters of the year - reckon there'll be some good friendly competition for years to come between Mitch, Nas and Windy. Satan did his thing and introduced our new sponsor, then the cars were unveiled at the back of the room.

Had a look at the cars, which all looked like formulaic four wheel drives I'd never buy, then went back for dessert. Smashed down the fondant and got into my third beer. The room was unsurprised Wilkie got Trademark but quite surprised Big Tom Campbell was Clubman. The vote count was brought to the inevitable close as Sinclair skipped ahead - rather pointlessly they showed the votes from the end of the H&A season, then the votes after the final. Anyone who listed to how the votes worked and could do maths already knew the top 5.

The top three were announced, a toast to Sincs, speech. Common thread amongst the speeches is "we want a bloody premiership already".

The night just kind of died after that, sammm left before me but not much happened after. Had a chat to Saint Watto before having to exit.
i agee, the night seemed subdued, and died pretty quickly. you should have swapped for the beef. very nice.

Now that Goodie23 has posted his review.......I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

Kudos to the club and Crown for putting on a huge night.....the logistics to put a night on for just under 1,000 people would be enormous.

Goodie23 and Sammm pretty well covered all the food etc and most on here were probably watching the live stream.

Our crew were on a table at the back(the cheap seats....no....not the Channel 10 ones)....a couple of rows from the covered vehicles.

When I found out we were on table "69" I thought.....here we go !!!!!!

Goodie23's table was nearly in the foyer........lol.

I myself thought the entree/main(red rooster chicken according to Goodie23......but where was the side of chips ?????)and desert were great.

The Red was flowing like a fountain.

And how about Mr.Zhang.........what a performance........he looked a million bucks(pre tax) in his tux.....and I hope the sponsorship is that and more !!!!!!

We all had no idea what the vehicle brand was to be and a few on out table tipped it to be BYD( a massive vehicle company in China which are giving Tesla a run for their money in China)

After the vehicle announcement, I had a look at the vehicles(I thought they looked very smart).......a huge crowd was milling around the vehicles....I was struck at how much Chinese media/photographers were there.

I stood back to take it all in and a group of Chinese execs smiled at me....and I smiled back(hoping I wouldn't get arrested)......they were probably thinking..."crazy Aussies"

It was surreal watching all of this.....you could have been at the Detroit Motor Show.

A special shout out to Goodie23....he was everywhere that night.

He also nailed the BF Player Sponsorship trifecta......3 functions in one year....that's bordering on masterfull..!!!!!!

BF Player Sponsorship Hall of Fame Nom incoming.

Overall....a great night...Alicia did a mighty job as MC.

I liked Sammm's idea about playing the club song.....if that was done at the end....people would have been in the aisles belting it out !!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that Goodie23 has posted his review.......I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

Kudos to the club and Crown for putting on a huge night.....the logistics to put a night on for just under 1,000 people would be enormous.

Goodie23 and Sammm pretty well covered all the food etc and most on here were probably watching the live stream.

Our crew were on a table at the back(the cheap seats....no....not the Channel 10 ones)....a couple of rows from the covered vehicles.

When I found out we were on table "69" I thought.....here we go !!!!!!

Goodie23's table was nearly in the foyer........lol.

I myself thought the entree/main(red rooster chicken according to Goodie23......but where was the side of chips ?????)and desert were great.

The Red was flowing like a fountain.

And how about Mr.Zhang.........what a performance........he looked a million bucks(pre tax) in his tux.....and I hope the sponsorship is that and more !!!!!!

We all had no idea what the vehicle brand was to be and a few on out table tipped it to be BYD( a massive vehicle company in China which are giving Tesla a run for their money in China)

After the vehicle announcement, I had a look at the vehicles(I thought they looked very smart).......a huge crowd was milling around the vehicles....I was struck at how much Chinese media/photographers were there.

I stood back to take it all in and a group of Chinese execs smiled at me....and I smiled back(hoping I wouldn't get arrested)......they were probably thinking..."crazy Aussies"

It was surreal watching all of this.....you could have been at the Detroit Motor Show.

A special shout out to Goodie23....he was everywhere that night.

He also nailed the BF Player Sponsorship trifecta......3 functions in one year....that's bordering on masterfull..!!!!!!

BF Player Sponsorship Hall of Fame Nom incoming.

Overall....a great night...Alicia did a mighty job as MC.

I liked Sammm's idea about playing the club song.....if that was done at the end....people would have been in the aisles belting it out !!!!
If the Chinese Execs were smiling at you, they were probably doing the mental maths of calculating what profit they were going to make from your organs.....

Crazy, right?

Compare the trajectory of Sinclair, Wilkie and Marshall to Billings, McCartin and Dunstan.
The difference is guys that had to work really hard and fight to get into the elite system, against guys that were probably identified at a young age and then encouraged and assisted down the elite development pathway.

Crazy, right?

Compare the trajectory of Sinclair, Wilkie and Marshall to Billings, McCartin and Dunstan.

Sinclair would probably have been delisted before hitting his potential at another club. He came good at about the age Billings was when he stared breaking down. Marshall was a bit of an Owens where he started showing signs early but took a couple of seasons to get going and was a mature aged recruit. Wilkie just dropped into the side and was an instant legend.

Billings shot out of the gate and looked like he'd be a very good class player early on. Dunstan was getting talked up as a captain and Mattress was pretty much a disappointment apart from a couple of games before he started to get his concussions.

The difference is guys that had to work really hard and fight to get into the elite system, against guys that were probably identified at a young age and then encouraged and assisted down the elite development pathway.

I think it's just that as an industry we are lacking creativity and follow the crowd. The draft is seen as the primary focus and kids that start to show form at 17 get given spots and time to prove themselves. Late bloomers, guys who have switched sports, kids with injury or lived overseas get left out and sent to secondary comps.

There is a huge amount of talent out there than never gets a chance. That Mannugh guy would have to make a difference to North Melbourne more than another 18 year old kid that will take 5 years to probably get delisted because they already have 15 high picked kids on the list.

In a twist of fate, our poor drafting gave these guys opportunity and we churned quite few rookies to find some good ones. Having less competition for spots in our side gave them a chance to make the best 22 and show how good they were. It's a good reminder to not close the door on players outside the system.

Back