Asia Turkey-Syria earthquake Feb 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't find a thread about this and people might like to share their thoughts and talk about it. I know the Turkish community in Melbourne is huge. Also apparently 4 Australians are unaccounted for in the region.

Some of the towns levelled have excess of 300,000 people living in them. This is going to be worse than the 1999 Izmit earthquake, guarantee it. Officials predicting at least 20,000 dead in Türkiye alone. I think it'll be more. :(

I have a Turkish friend who lives in Samsun on the Black Sea coast. He said it's the worst thing he's ever experienced as a Turkish citizen. He's fortunate he didn't know anyone personally from the area, but friends of friends do (someone's parents from Hatay, haven't heard a word and it's assumed they're dead and buried). Rescue efforts have been too slow. Govt too slow to react. Roads destroyed, airports ripped up. Bitter winter with snow. No food or water. People will die of exposure if they didn't die after being buried in rubble.

This Turkish-American Youtuber did a great video about the situation and explained why it was so bad. He talks about the infrastructure ('poor infrastructure kills people, not the quake') criticises the Govt for their slowness and not deploying the military to help, how the Govt have lined their pockets with funds that should have gone to creating quake-proof structures... it's unbelievable the scale of corruption. Officials are DOWNPLAYING how many people have died... There's an election looming and Erdoğan might lose and he's probably afraid of that happening. My Turkish mate was saying now the Govt has restricted Twitter access due to "disinformation", which thousands of people were using to try and get rescuers to help find them as they are buried under the rubble. What kind of country DOES that to their people?

A lot of people displaced by the Syrian conflict there too - so many people who had already suffered.
Awful news

The videos of building after building just collapsing one at a time like dominos as people stand there watching and running away from debris. It just looks like they were cheaply made with no thought for earthquakes. I don't know how big a thing earthquakes are for the region, though.

A lot of people displaced by the Syrian conflict there too - so many people who had already suffered.
Awful news
Yep absolutely... makes it a double whammy. Syrians have been suffering for far too long :( Rescue efforts could be hampered more there due to the political environment.

The videos of building after building just collapsing one at a time like dominos as people stand there watching and running away from debris. It just looks like they were cheaply made with no thought for earthquakes. I don't know how big a thing earthquakes are for the region, though.
Turkey has several major faults running through it and earthquakes are fairly common, this was the East Anatolian Fault that did it. There's another that runs right through Istanbul, and experts are predicting they'll have another massive one there in the next 20-30 years.

1200px-Anatolian_Plate_Vectoral.svg.png

From Wikipedia:
The Leader of the Opposition in Parliament, Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu of the CHP, pinned responsibility on the scale of the disaster on President Erdoğan.[219] Questions also arose as to how an "earthquake tax" levied by the Turkish government in the wake of the 1999 Izmit earthquake, estimated to have reached 88bn lira ($4.6bn; £3.8bn) and meant to have been spent on disaster prevention and the development of emergency services, was being spent, given how the government has never given a public explanation.[220]

All they did was 'build quake-proof roads' (which got destroyed in this earthquake) and the rest of it they actually came out and said they don't know where it all went lol... Honestly. It's a disgrace.

Yeah, very frightening. There's a fault line along the Mediterranean. Earthquakes aren't uncommon.

I experienced a 7.0 in Japan when on holiday which was pretty hardcore shaking. But little to no damage afterwards - their building are engineered to ridiculously high standards. Most people seem unperturbed about it as they happen quite regularly there.

Turkey unlikely don't have strict codes despite being vulnerable to earthquakes. Not sure how they will address this in the future because they just don't have the money to go down the path Japan has earthquake proofing its buildings.

Amazing support from Melbourne's Turkish community, brings tears to my eyes.

how does property titles deal with this? if the land moves 3.5m, does the title shift with the land?
Do they even have a title system there?! I have no idea lol.

Major fault lines runs through the Middle East, three different plates come together roughly just south of the border between Syria and Turkey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)