TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

If there's any suggestion that Optus are forcing consumers to use their Internet services to watch EPL football I can see the ACCC coming down hard on them.

In a fair market anyone who has a broadband connection should be able to access EPL football being sold on a digital platform.

Which I believe will ultimately happen.

How is it any different to Foxtel forcing people to get pay TV?

How is it anti-competitive? Does Maccas have to let KFC sell Big Macs? o_O

Forcing EPL subscribers to use Optus Internet in order to access EPL is clearly anti competitive. There is no justifiable reason as to why Optus EPL could not be provided to users of other Internet providers.

Maccas & KFC sell competing products. Terrible analogy.

How is it any different to Foxtel forcing people to get pay TV?

The difference is there's dozens of Internet providers available to choose from.

How many pay tv provides are there?

It would be like Foxtel doing a deal with Samsung and designing Foxtel boxes so they were compatible with Samsung televisions only. The ACCC would kill it straight away.

Forcing EPL subscribers to use Optus Internet in order to access EPL is clearly anti competitive. There is no justifiable reason as to why Optus EPL could not be provided to users of other Internet providers.

Maccas & KFC sell competing products. Terrible analogy.

Optus have exclusive rights to the EPL, just like Bein have exclusive rights to the English Championship. They do not have to sell each others products to be 'competitive'. Good analogy.

The difference is there's dozens of Internet providers available to choose from.

How many pay tv provides are there?

It would be like Foxtel doing a deal with Samsung and designing Foxtel boxes so they were compatible with Samsung televisions only. The ACCC would kill it straight away.

Boy, that sounds anti-competitive! I'm surprised the ACCC hasn't shut Foxtel down.

Boy, that sounds anti-competitive! I'm surprised the ACCC hasn't shut Foxtel down.

Nothing stopping a rival pay tv company from starting up.
Optus have exclusive rights to the EPL, just like Bein have exclusive rights to the English Championship. They do not have to sell each others products to be 'competitive'. Good analogy.

I'm not talking about the selling of EPL football viewing access on its own.

I'm talking about the rumours of forcing consumers to also buy Optus Internet in order to access EPL. From my knowledge of consumer law I believe the ACCC would view that action as anti comptetive conduct.

Nothing stopping a rival pay tv company from starting up.

I'm talking about the rumours of forcing consumers to also buy Optus Internet in order to access EPL. From my knowledge of consumer law I believe the ACCC would view that action as anti comptetive conduct.

I own the rights to something. I force people to pay a fee to me to access those rights. What am I doing that is anti-competitive?

Optus isn't going to force people to buy optus to watch the EPL. That's not because it's anti-competitive, it's because it just doesn't make business sense to them. Not enough people are going to switch to Optus for it to be worthwhile for them, so they will likely on-sell the transmission rights to Foxtel, or charge Foxtel a hefty fee to add an Optus channel to Fox Sports, similar to Bein.

Isnt that the same as Fox?

They are forcing people to subscribe to their service too(you cant just get the sports package).

Isnt that the same as Fox?

They are forcing people to subscribe to their service too(you cant just get the sports package).

Not really, in fairness. I have Fox through Optus which I think means our money goes to Optus, not Fox.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Foxtel still have the MLS right? #priorities
All the leagues BeIn Sports have (ignore the rugby ones lol)
11825223_10153040448258263_7792085988638481295_n.jpg

All the leagues BeIn Sports have (ignore the rugby ones lol)

It does illustrate how basically Optus came from nowhere and blew Foxtel, the existing holder of the rights, and Bein, a natural home for the EPL, out of the water.

Obviously they've crunched the numbers, but I must admit I'm still struggling to see how Optus are going to gain the appropriate 'value' out of the rights.

Which Leagues do they show live?

As an example:

Tonight (Sunday) AEDST

10pm - Primera División (Spain) Rayo Vallecano v Málaga

11pm -League One (England) Sheffield United v Coventry City

11.25pm - SPFL St Johnstone v Celtic

12am – Ligue 1 (France) Monaco v Saint-Étienne

12.45am –Serie A (Italy) Empoli v Carpi

12.45am -Serie A (Italy) Chievo v Atalanta

1.25am - Bundesliga Augsburg v Schalke

2am - Primera División (Spain) Eibar v Valencia

3am - Ligue 1 (France) Olympique Marseille v Gazélec Ajaccio

3am - Ligue 1 (France) Angers v Bordeaux

3.30am - Bundesliga Borussia Dortmund v Eintracht Frankfurt

3.55am - Serie A Napoli v Roma

4.15am - Primera División (Spain) Atlético Madrid v Athletic Club

6am - Sunday Night Live - beIN SPORTS bring you Sunday Night Live featuring a round-up of Sunday's European football action plus the build-up to this morning's featured game, Villareal v Real Madrid

6.30am - La Liga Villareal v Real Madrid

6.30am - Serie A (Italy) Juventus v Fiorentina

7am - Ligue 1 (France) PSG v Olympique Lyonnais

Also, every UEFA Champions League and Europa League game LIVE.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back