Two fans in hospital after footy brawl

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or does it not say anywhere in that article that it was a richmond supporter that he was attacked by? Just that he was a carlton supporter

Yep, Collingwood supporters do get a bum rap. But like every club they've still got their fair share of ****wits.

I'm not actually sure what people expect to happen when they get in the faces of obviously gutted supporters. Celebrate your win to your heart's content for sure - jump up and down, sing the song with glee, scream it to the rooftops... that's all good. Faux-aggressive, in-your-face "your team's s**t mate" type stuff is going to push some people over the edge. I'm not condoning it. I just don't understand why some people feel the need to do it.

Of course, but there's a difference between giving someone a good shove or something and telling them to * off, and king hitting somebody.

"Ill be following the ****ers out trash talking them all the way to their cars.Thats my song this week."

A post from the Tigers Board before the Game .....you need to scroll past the one that wanted Gibbs to do his Knee to find it .

These are some of the most feral supporters in the Game ...they are actually worse than most Collingwood Fans .

I feel for the decent Tiger supporters on here

:eek: Shocking. And I normally like Tiges supporters.

The only grief I've ever got in Melbourne is from St. Kilda supporters. Eric Bana gives me the evils every freakin' time.

From what I saw there were some very drunk and loud patrons from both clubs leaving the MCG after the game. Just wondering though, is the beer sold at the game full strength? I feel the MCC need to take some of the blame here. Aren't liquor establishments forbidden to sell alcohol to already drunk patrons? I came to the game with my sons and unfortunately some people made many trips back and forth from the bar. It never ends well when you are emotional after the game as well as had a skinfull.

Of course, but there's a difference between giving someone a good shove or something and telling them to **** off, and king hitting somebody.

Of course there is, which is why I don't condone whatever's happened. Both fan bases like to give it to each other in aggressive fashion. I'm pretty even tempered but I was filthy yesterday afternoon. I can only begin to imagine how unhappy some of my brethren were. Violence escalates quickly. We're all different, but for me - I'm ok as long as people stay out of my personal space.

We don't know (and probably never will know) the full details of this incident. Suggesting that it's unique to Richmond, or typical of our supporter base is vapid trolling that demeans the Main Board.

Come on guys, lets stop pointing the finger here and having a crack at each other. At the end of the day there is good and bad in every teams supporters including ours.

How many times have we been out, at a party, in a pub or at the footy and looked at someone (even one of our own) and thought "if that idiot doesnt shut up or stop, he will get belted soon enough". Thats not to say what happened is right, but its what happens.

If the Tigers supporters are the ones that started it, they deserve what they get both from the cops and I hope the club rips their membership up with a "Pyss off and never return. If it happened in self defence then its another story again, if they king hit him then lock them up as we dont need these imbaciles on the street.

I suppose we dont really know unless we were there and saw the whole thing. Lets just the victims are OK.

Not surprised to be honest. The atmosphere post-game in the Richmond area was extremely fraught with some supporters from both sides mouthing off and generally looking for a fight. Sadly, it was probably always going to happen.

From what I saw there were some very drunk and loud patrons from both clubs leaving the MCG after the game. Just wondering though, is the beer sold at the game full strength? I feel the MCC need to take some of the blame here. Aren't liquor establishments forbidden to sell alcohol to already drunk patrons? I came to the game with my sons and unfortunately some people made many trips back and forth from the bar. It never ends well when you are emotional after the game as well as had a skinfull.
----------------

good post / It happens in cricket as well . The sober people buy the booze and give it to the drunks and problems then arise . I see it all too often .
I know it sounds crazy but banning booze at all sporting events may be the only way to go to stop such crap.

The Richmond supporters should of done what the Collingwood supporters did and leave 5 minutes before final siren to avoid any altercations.

Some did around me but most stayed to the end. I think there were quite a few staying put to wave Tucky off in his last game (at least where I was sitting anyway).

Happens at all footy and usually intensifies with the rivalry.

It's awful, it shouldn't happen and all supporters should be aware of how their behaviour impacts on others.

There's a difference between banter and celebrating a victory and goading opposition supporters.
There's also no excuse for responding to a disappointing loss with violence.

We are fortunate that it's still relatively rare in Oz.
BTW this isn't a new thing, ask you parents. I'm sure more than a few can tell stories of being in, or close too, situations that got out of hand in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some did around me but most stayed to the end. I think there were quite a few staying put to wave Tucky off in his last game (at least where I was sitting anyway).
-------------
Why didnt Foley play and why was Riewoldt on the wing/ defence when he is a fwd and why did your coach allow your 1 fwd to go against 3 Blues players especially in the 2nd half too often ? Your coach i feel cost u the game .He ,also in the first 2 min of 2nd half he should have tagged Judd , but didnt

Yes there was. One of our posters was glassed by a Geelong supporter in an unprovoked attack.

There was also the fact that a geelong supporter got whacked from a king hit and got his face cut open from an unprovoked Fremantle attacks at around three quarter time.

It was more than 2 hours after the game.

A lot of those functions and bars maybe just closing up. Pissed people coming out walking around the city. Also was talking in general so you may have a point about this particular topic. Just something i've though about going back and forth to the G at night.

Typical Richmond responses in here... when you're playing a team who got into the finals by default and are 6 goals up, if you roll over like bitches and get done then you're gonna cop some stick... deal with it and move on.

Not an excuse to go around king hitting people.
How do you know they were king hit? For all we know they started a fight and then got their arses kicked.

If anyone is surprised by this, just read this thread...

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/liquor-control-at-richmond-games.1023148

If that's a snapshot of the internet tough guys, I'd hate to think how little it'd take to set real life ones off.

That thread was more sour grapes from a Hawk fan after losing to Richmond.
I never saw any spitting at that game.

I've seen spitting from other supporters even on TV but when the random Richmond supporter did it,the news was bigger than an earthquake or World War lol.
It was a shyte act but Richmond get put under the microscope the most.

Richmond are the team that everyone loves to hate unfortunately.
That comes with the territory of being a big proud club.

The hate will only get bigger as our club improves.LOL I remember us being everyone's 2nd fav club.WE make ONE FINAL and everything changes.:D

I got in the ground at 3/4 time and wandered around behind the Punt Rd End to watch the last 20 mins to get a feel for the atmosphere. To a neutral that's a place that's got a very unsafe feel about it with the aggressive UK soccer type chants etc. So many flashpoint situations down there that culminated when a couple of vile language spewing boozed Tiger fans had to be forcibly removed by the cops.

The whole area has a terrible vibe and I hardly saw any young kids around. Is it like this every week? I'd be interested in Benny Gale etc's opinions on the area and how it makes the club look.

The sober people buy the booze and give it to the drunks and problems then arise . I see it all too often .
I know it sounds crazy but banning booze at all sporting events may be the only way to go to stop such crap.

Oh. The Dumb Bob rule. If Dumb Bob can't do it ... no one can. This is what's ****ed about our society. Firstly that people don't take responsibility for themselves. And secondly, that because of people like this, those who do act responsibly have their freedoms impinged upon to protect the former from himself. I take strong objection to this over regulated, nanny state viewpoint.

I've lived in countries where bars don't close early and you can buy liquor in convenience stores and drink til drunk on the street; and violence isn't the issue it is in Melbourne. The issue here is not alcohol.

So I've got a much better idea than yours. How about we throw those who seriously assault others away for a mandatory year behind bars and publicize the hell out of it so everyone is under no illusion; you do this, no ifs, no buts ... you're gone! How about those who get too pissed and act poorly get named and shamed and banned from attending AFL matches for 24 months. Second offense gone for all time.

How about the onus falls back on those making the trouble, instead of all those who do the right thing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back