UFA - Colin Sylvia

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Colin Sylvia.....

Just posted the following over on the drafting and trading board in the Port thread:

Sylvia + P12(?) for their P4.

My question is is it reasonable, or am I another biased flog.

Just posted the following over on the drafting and trading board in the Port thread:

I wouldn't do it from a Melbourne perspective, this draft isn't anything special and I think we are better off keeping Sylvia.

We are never going to get anything that's worth his value to us, unless a team is willing to play by our terms (highly doubtful) then I don't see it benefiting us at all.

I wouldn't do it from a Melbourne perspective, this draft isn't anything special and I think we are better off keeping Sylvia.

We are never going to get anything that's worth his value to us, unless a team is willing to play by our terms (highly doubtful) then I don't see it benefiting us at all.

100% agreed. I forgot to mention it was predicated on Sylvia wanting to leave.

I'm surprised by how little opposition fans rate Col. If he played at Collingwood he'd look every bit the superstar, which is i guess his issue. Now is his turn to step up and be a consistent senior player and he hasn't.

There's alwyas a chance that he shares the computer with an Adelaide fan and forgets to logout. I've done it a fair few times.

What are you on about? the draft isnt special after pick 15-20
Its perfectly fine at pick 4, i think it would be a good deal on our behalf, but i cant see why col would even consider going to the power

What are you on about? the draft isnt special after pick 15-20
Its perfectly fine at pick 4, i think it would be a good deal on our behalf, but i cant see why col would even consider going to the power

There are no absolute standouts (except Patton/Conigilio/Wingard who will all be gone) that's worth moving Sylvia and our pick to move up a few spots.

Another biased flog.

I rate Sylvia and would happily give our first pick for him, but thats idiotic.

There are no absolute standouts (except Patton/Conigilio/Wingard who will all be gone) that's worth moving Sylvia and our pick to move up a few spots.

Bit early to call outright imo, wingard is 3rd atm but Trengove wasnt 2nd this far out Butcher was :eek:

Players rise and fall, getting Wingard at 4 could be good, although with all his talent comes a small frame which isnt what we need imo, although talent is talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone bookmarked this yet?

Whispers getting louder.

Whispers such as what???

Wasn't there an article on the Melbourne website after the Richmond match where Colin was quoted multiple times saying he wanted to "stay at Melbourne and repay the faith". Whilst nothing is certain these days, I'd prefer to go with what the man actually indicated himself rather than some reckless rumour monger.

Whispers such as what???

Wasn't there an article on the Melbourne website after the Richmond match where Colin was quoted multiple times saying he wanted to "stay at Melbourne and repay the faith". Whilst nothing is certain these days, I'd prefer to go with what the man actually indicated himself rather than some reckless rumour monger.

Bigsexc repeating himself, just in a slightly lower tone each time

Wouldn't accept anything less than a top 10 pick for him (or a player under 22 that's worth a top 10 pick). Probably overs but nothing else would replace him.

wont be at the demons next year. bookmark this post if you like.

Anyone bookmarked this yet?

Whispers getting louder.

Looks like i was majorly wrong here. Honestly thought he wouldn't be at the Dees.

I was told by the friend of a certain high profile SEN presenter that he was leaning towards leaving the Dees.

Good that he's staying, s**t that i was wrong.

#12-ColinSylvia

MFC player profile
Big Footy player thread
MFC site 2011 player Review

2011 Statistics:

Games Played: 19
Disposals: 20.0
Marks: 3.9
Goals: 1.3
Tackles: 5.3

Dream Team: (Avg - 90.68) (Start Price: $399,500 Finish Price: $311,700 (-$87,800)
Supercoach: (Avg - 96.26) (Start Price: $428,200 Finish Price: $367,000 (-$61,200)

Expectations for 2011:

Most MFC supporters were looking for few things from Sylvia in 2011:
1. To become more consistent. He no doubt has the ability to dominate games & to heavily impact on the final result but for the most part he will only do this a hand full of times per season. He really need to maintain a higher level of consistency & not go missing when he is not firing at his best.
2. Become a leader. The dream was for him to not only lift on but also off the field as a leader both in word & deed. If he was able to do this in combination with improved consistency he would become one of our strongest assets.
3. Reach his potential. For years we've seen glimpses of what he can do but to fully meet what we know he can do he needed to not only excel in the two above areas but also needed to keep himself out of trouble whilst growing his reputation amongst teammates & fans alike.

For a little more on our expectations see his 2011 preview here.

Overall Performance:

In another year where Sylvia got himself in the headlines for the wrong reasons both in the pre & post seasons it was another year where he showed us the good, bad & ugly.

His season had the expected highlights such as his performances against Adelaide & Richmond but let himself down against teams like Geelong when a player with his ability should lead by example.

I would say that his consistency improve a little but from my point of view it was 2009 & 2010 Colin in the 2011 season, he gave us exactly what he has his whole career but managed to fall away completely in a few games rather than 6-8 as he had in times past.

Where did he improve? I think the main area was his pressure on the opposition ball carrier. His tackle average went up by over one tackle a game & in many games had more than any other player on the field. This was positive as it showed a little more awareness during games & was what helped me consider his year to be a slight improvement from other seasons.

Where did it go wrong? After the smashing we received from Geelong he was dropped for a game which, from my point of view was directly related to not standing up & putting it all on the line. It may have been to make an example of him but none the less that was the type of game you'd like to see him lift for the team. He also had two incidents this year & he seems to find trouble. Is it all his fault? Maybe not, but he just keeps being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

His best game for the year was against both Collingwood & Richmond. Both losses you might say. They were but that’s what made them good games for him. Colin can be somewhat of a frontrunner, dominating when the team as a whole is on top. In these games he showed the will to be part of the contest, to try to affect the outcome of the game & against Collingwood he was the only player for the MFC to bother the scoreboard on more than one occasion. Particularly against Richmond in a tight game he kept us in the contest & almost managed to get us across the line. The effort against Richmond is the endeavour we would love to see every week from Colin.

What of 2012?

Well Colin has already I'd imagine put his new coach off side after the latest transgression & he'll need to really put in the hard yards to prove his worth as a mature player & try to be seen as a leader. He will miss round one but needs to make round two the first stepping stone to bigger & better things.

What we want to see from him is exactly what we have asked for, for as long as I can remember: Consistency!

I think the time is now for that to happen, he has five months to show our new coaches what he can do & he has next season to convince the Melbourne faithful that he will become a consistently elite player we all hope he will be.

Colin Sylvia 2011 Review:
Todd Viney said:
We saw Col play some fantastic games, particularly against Richmond late in the year. We need to see his consistency more often. He’s one of the really strong, physically conditioned guys we must see elite performances from more consistently. It was good to see him sign for another two years and we expect to see him as a power forward/midfielder.
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/default.aspx?newsid=125947

Just saw a tweet from Col saying that preseason starts for him tomorrow. This is kind of a non issue but really displays his general attitude I reckon. Didn't pretty much all the others start training months ago? Wasn't Col in trouble and axed from the international rules side for (pretty much) drink driving? Sounds to me that if anyone should have been doing extra yards it is Col.

Did he have surgery that I'm not aware of?

Just saw a tweet from Col saying that preseason starts for him tomorrow. This is kind of a non issue but really displays his general attitude I reckon. Didn't pretty much all the others start training months ago? Wasn't Col in trouble and axed from the international rules side for (pretty much) drink driving? Sounds to me that if anyone should have been doing extra yards it is Col.

Did he have surgery that I'm not aware of?

He's talking about post Xmas training mate. The younger blokes started back last week and 15 older players start back tomorrow.

Col had no surgery. He was actually at training last Wednesday doing ball handling drills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back