Umpiring today was pathetic and had a big say in the Hawks win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Really.... I thought the third quarter was the difference myself.

There was two decisions which I saw as being pretty bad - the worst of which was the 50 to shiels - however who is to say he wouldn't have kicked it anyway?

More than made up for by the non-50 to Hale and subsequent reversal. Ergo free goal to bring Adelaide within 5 points at a crucial stage in the last.

Our 1 free inside 50 in opposed to ur 6. good call Schoenmachers had all rights to come from behind with an elbow to the kidneys. type of hit may have been fatal to a Lonergan. when u cut in front of leading forwards shit like that happens, even your man gibson agreed with that call gave schoenmachers lip +death stare

Both tonight and last night, home ground advantage should not mean early free kicks to the home side (cf. Goodes - how come he does not get pinged for push in the back?)

Most neutrals wanted the Crows to win because everyone hates Hawthorn, but the Hawks did get 3 goals from free kicks-50 that were borderline cheating, and they certainly got the rub of the green around the ground in the first 3 qtrs, i still think the Hawks would have found a way to win even if they were 3 goals down at 3Q time though.

I didn't have a problem with the Porp reversal, he will get rubbed out for a couple of weeks for that but the Hawk player who came in gave the Ump nowhere to go, he had to reverse it.

hawks got shafted in the last quarter of last years prelim. umps just squared the ledger...only they forgot it wasn't the pies they were playing.
unlucky crows, well played and perhaps deserved the win.
but this thread is about the umpiring, so yes, it was atrocious and yes it heavily favoured the hawks.

This stuff is gold.

There are so many decisions that do/dont get paid, you would be bitching and moaning every week.

Harden up, and move on.

Most neutrals wanted the Crows to win because everyone hates Hawthorn, but the Hawks did get 3 goals from free kicks-50 that were borderline cheating, and they certainly got the rub of the green around the ground in the first 3 qtrs, i still think the Hawks would have found a way to win even if they were 3 goals down at 3Q time though.

I didn't have a problem with the Porp reversal, he will get rubbed out for a couple of weeks for that but the Hawk player who came in gave the Ump nowhere to go, he had to reverse it.

Hawks were not as mentally strong towards the end of the game, maybe thinking of last year, even a player after the game admitted they were nervous on the field. I am not sure if the game had an extra few minutes or Hawks did not have those "free kick" goals up their sleeves that they would have won.

No Hawthorn did not deserve to win. They blew their shots in the first half and would've been 5 goals down at half time without that bullshit
No shit. We wasted oppotunities and adelaide took them, some of the calls were unforgivable and let us off the hook in the first term, the one which the adelaide player was pinged for a throw from an umpire 100 meters away was absolute dogshit. they were away and the umpire reversed the flow.

We got about two calls which were terrible against us, one was franklins "Late" Bump which ironed out Dangerfield, everything else was either poor to the crows and we won most/all 50/50 contests

Hawks were not as mentally strong towards the end of the game, maybe thinking of last year, even a player after the game admitted they were nervous on the field. I am not sure if the game had an extra few minutes or Hawks did not have those "free kick" goals up their sleeves that they would have won.
Heard a bout of gastro went through the Hawks, not sure if true or not though, but they did look off.

Its not worth arguing........Adelaide fans will always feel aggrieved even when they get the better of the umpiring but lose the match.

Hawks got the better of the umpiring today......that would be a first for the season.
Regardless of any grievances on BF, the score will still say Haw 97 Adel 92, and the GF next week will still be Haw v Syd.

"Adelaide fans will always feel aggrieved even when they get the better of the umpiting but lose the match"? Take note the vast majority of people complaining about the umpiring are NOT Adelaide supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No shit. We wasted oppotunities and adelaide took them, some of the calls were unforgivable and let us off the hook in the first term, the one which the adelaide player was pinged for a throw from an umpire 100 meters away was absolute dogshit. they were away and the umpire reversed the flow.

We got about two calls which were terrible against us, one was franklins "Late" Bump which ironed out Dangerfield, everything else was either poor to the crows and we won most/all 50/50 contests

Thanks for that. Just proves the other hawks supporters posting here are just parochial clowns and that regardless of their arrogant rubbish, the whole footy community will always look on this game as one that was gifted to Hawthorn on a platter, whilst it was stolen from Adelaides deserving grasp.

Another neutral who thought the umpiring was utterly, utterly biased in favour of the Hawks. Multiple frees which destroyed Adelaide's momentum at critical moments, including one which resulted in a 12 point turnaround which pretty much won the game for the Hawks.

Particular lowlights - several legitimate tackles by Crows players called in the back, a HTB decision against a Crow with three Hawks jumping on his back and no way of moving, let alone getting the ball out, the "throw" on the boundary line, and perhaps most farcical the advantage call where the Crow was standing a few metres from the umpire with his hand in the air saying that he wasn't taking advantage.

The AFL has pretty much ruined the game. Very sad.

Another neutral who thought the umpiring was utterly, utterly biased in favour of the Hawks. Multiple frees which destroyed Adelaide's momentum at critical moments, including one which resulted in a 12 point turnaround which pretty much won the game for the Hawks.

Particular lowlights - several legitimate tackles by Crows players called in the back, a HTB decision against a Crow with three Hawks jumping on his back and no way of moving, let alone getting the ball out, the "throw" on the boundary line, and perhaps most farcical the advantage call where the Crow was standing a few metres from the umpire with his hand in the air saying that he wasn't taking advantage.

The AFL has pretty much ruined the game. Very sad.

The buddy free paid for high contact when it was buddy who should have been pinged lol, shot at goal for the Hawks, the 50 mtr penalty in the first which gave the Hawks a certain goal was beyond belief, the ''throw'' when the Crows were away was facepalm shit also.

Easily the worst umpiring i've seen in a final, if any of those umpires get a gig next week we may as well give up on this sport now.

Hearing the heart broken Pies and Cats fans cry over the Hawks making the GF is music to my ears. Yes, we were heavily favoured, and about time, after consistently being on the rough end of it in big games over recent years. AFL should fix it, but happy we got through.

Feel sorry for Adelaide and their fans, it was a very brave effort, and I'd be bitterly disappointed if I was in their position (as I was after last year's prelim). Everyone else can suck it up. Go Hawks!

and perhaps most farcical the advantage call where the Crow was standing a few metres from the umpire with his hand in the air saying that he wasn't taking advantage.

People keep going on about this. Learn the rules. It was 2 disposals down the line. You cant put your hand up and call stop to play just because after 3 disposals you arent in a good position. The advantage was already taken before Thompson had gained the ball.

Hearing the heart broken Pies and Cats fans cry over the Hawks making the GF is music to my ears. Yes, we were heavily favoured, and about time, after consistently being on the rough end of it in big games over recent years. AFL should fix it, but happy we got through.

Feel sorry for Adelaide and their fans, it was a very brave effort, and I'd be bitterly disappointed if I was in their position (as I was after last year's prelim). Everyone else can suck it up. Go Hawks!

No one's blaming the Hawks mate, shit like that doesn't come around very often and when it does you take it with both hands, was just a shocking performance from the umpires, i still think you would have found a way to win if the umpiring was on the level.

People keep going on about this. Learn the rules. It was 2 disposals down the line. You cant put your hand up and call stop to play just because after 3 disposals you arent in a good position. The advantage was already taken before Thompson had gained the ball.

bit of common sense needed applying though surely.

good call Schoenmachers had all rights to come from behind with an elbow to the kidneys. type of hit may have been fatal to a Lonergan.

Youre really attributing what Schoenmakers did to something that may kill Lonergan. Really?

I've heard it all now. It was a soft unexpected bump in the back. Not a fly kick into the kidney

Players realised a free had been paid, stopped (one with his hand in the air), and AFTER this the umpire called advantage. How could the call occur AFTER the player had stopped with a hand in the air.

Youre really attributing what Schoenmakers did to something that may kill Lonergan. Really?

I've heard it all now. It was a soft unexpected bump in the back. Not a fly kick into the kidney
lol, was thinking the same, he didn't stab the dude, was super stupid from Schoe though, reckon clarkson would've had a ''quiet'' word in his ear after the game, he was getting ready to demolish the box close to the end, you could see it in eyes lol.

bit of common sense needed applying though surely.

Why have the rule then? The player was given the free, he gave off a handball, another player gave off a handball and then Thompson decided, 5 seconds later that he wasnt in a good position. How far down the line do you expect advantage to be called back?

Why have the rule then? The player was given the free, he gave off a handball, another player gave off a handball and then Thompson decided, 5 seconds later that he wasnt in a good position. How far down the line do you expect advantage to be called back?

I thought it was border line, gotta give the guys a little time to decide, the Crows player handballed on instinct IMO, should have been brought back.

And it was more like 2 seconds mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back