Under threat

Remove this Banner Ad

This DCE backflip could be great news for the AFL.

Some of the NRL fans are eating their young.

So the Wanderers released this image on facebook today:
11760042_924514744279194_3048023561217057129_n.jpg

Also the Giants announced that theyve broken their record for members once more with "over 13,000" signed up. Can we really say that the Giants growth is under threat anymore? I do realise that this would include ACT members, but surely the majority would be from NSW?

Supporter and out of towner options say otherwise.

Hense the whole 18k members 12k crowd avg(incl 2 sold out derbies) in a 21k stadium

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

What do they say? They say there's a waiting list for full membership. They're also of more value, in a commitment sense, than a 3 game pass because you are basically buying an expensive hat and bumper sticker. Like with most clubs unfortunately we won't get to see the breakdown. However, given that giants memberships are creeping up in the 2nd half of the season still, it's pretty clear that a good proportion of those are people buying a ticket deal.

More than last year though, obviously.

At any rate the idea of a complete bandwagon dropoff is incorrect. 14000 renewals after a very poor season and another one on the horizon says the opposite in fact.

it will be interesting to see what a buyback scheme finally implemented does to that average too.

What do they say? They say there's a waiting list for full membership. They're also of more value, in a commitment sense, than a 3 game pass because you are basically buying an expensive hat and bumper sticker. Like with most clubs unfortunately we won't get to see the breakdown. However, given that giants memberships are creeping up in the 2nd half of the season still, it's pretty clear that a good proportion of those are people buying a ticket deal.

More than last year though, obviously.

At any rate the idea of a complete bandwagon dropoff is incorrect. 14000 renewals after a very poor season and another one on the horizon says the opposite in fact.

it will be interesting to see what a buyback scheme finally implemented does to that average too.

Saying that they arent all full memberships.

The facts are playing what is probably the 3rd biggest sporting nsw event (behind soo and nrl gf) at a 20k venue will boost memberships. Purely because people want to go to the bigtime star events
The buy back scheme would be great. And would give us more an idea.
I have heard the giants sent out emails regarding seats for this weekend in the capital to members and i think something along the same lines will happen for the swans game at spotless.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't say they were (although tsatsminas is on record as saying those numbers are small. Its also common knowledge that the ground is undersold). there's still a difference though. Buying a few tickets at once for a discount... I mean, if you are talking financial commitment, that's less than buying a guernsey. Those aren't counted though. WSW don't include 3 match passes to the acl games - 7000 sold for weeknight games.

Buyback will be in this season.

For all the talk of them being an unstoppable juggernaut of support, as soon as they were mathematically out of the finals their crowds plummeted. Their last three home games failed to crack 10k. It reinforces what we know about the Sydney sporting public; success encourages attendance.

The interesting thing is the difference in the media's narrative regarding support.

WSW (who have won the A-League premiership and the Asian Champions League) this year averaged 12,520 (including 2 home derbies) = unstoppable juggernaut of community support
GWS (who have won nothing but wooden spoons) thus far in 2015 (no derby yet) are averaging 9263 (just 26% less) = no support, doomed to failure, AFL made a huge mistake.

I think the Giants are tracking nicely personally.

For all the talk of them being an unstoppable juggernaut of support, as soon as they were mathematically out of the finals their crowds plummeted. Their last three home games failed to crack 10k. It reinforces what we know about the Sydney sporting public; success encourages attendance.

The interesting thing is the difference in the media's narrative regarding support.

WSW (who have won the A-League premiership and the Asian Champions League) this year averaged 12,520 (including 2 home derbies) = unstoppable juggernaut of community support
GWS (who have won nothing but wooden spoons) thus far in 2015 (no derby yet) are averaging 9263 (just 26% less) = no support, doomed to failure, AFL made a huge mistake.

I think the Giants are tracking nicely personally.

Sell outs, jerseys, bumper stickers, travelling support (massive - even after finals were out of the question). It's not a just a narrative driven by an unfriendly media (towards the Giants). As a result of these things they are incredibly visible and clearly have a lot of support outside the members who own the seats. You only have to look around to see that.

Sydney's sporting crowds drop off at almost exactly the same level Melbourne crowds do when the team doesn't make the finals. It just looks "worse" because the numbers in general are a lot smaller.

I think the Giants are tracking okay number wise - but was just interested to hear some trumpet blowing yesterday about the members when there's a lot of factors that weren't brought up at all.

Sell outs, jerseys, bumper stickers, travelling support (massive - even after finals were out of the question). It's not a just a narrative driven by an unfriendly media (towards the Giants). As a result of these things they are incredibly visible and clearly have a lot of support outside the members who own the seats. You only have to look around to see that.

Sydney's sporting crowds drop off at almost exactly the same level Melbourne crowds do when the team doesn't make the finals. It just looks "worse" because the numbers in general are a lot smaller.

I think the Giants are tracking okay number wise - but was just interested to hear some trumpet blowing yesterday about the members when there's a lot of factors that weren't brought up at all.

Collingwood on the other hand favours open book accounting for it's membership where it's very clear what % of their membership is driven by which category.. Or not?

I've been to the Wanderers membership page, it doesn't in any way detail how many of the stated number are "special memberships", you have nothing but guesswork to base your opinion on which makes it roughly as viable as anyone elses.

The trumpet blowing is a startup club breaking it's previous best membership number and who knows how qualified either number is, even less care I am sure. If we don't celebrate milestones, or worse qualify all of them, it's a dry dusty world..

Collingwood on the other hand favours open book accounting for it's membership where it's very clear what % of their membership is driven by which category.. Or not?

I've been to the Wanderers membership page, it doesn't in any way detail how many of the stated number are "special memberships", you have nothing but guesswork to base your opinion on which makes it roughly as viable as anyone elses.

The trumpet blowing is a startup club breaking it's previous best membership number and who knows how qualified either number is, even less care I am sure. If we don't celebrate milestones, or worse qualify all of them, it's a dry dusty world..

No argument from me re: Collingwood, I think it's a joke. I had an out of town membership at one point. I have a sneaking suspicion that I might still be counted. As I said above, if you are measuring financial commitment, buying a guernsey is a better measure than those types of membership.

You are right for the most part, except I've got a great idea of how many are seated memberships, because that was at capacity last season. They have to leave an away section and a bit of corporate section. Then the north terrace is definitely undersold on purpose. Which all adds up. There aren't any other kind of ticketed memberships except a full season (unless you include ACL match passes, which they don't). The CEO is on record somewhere saying stuff about that as well. Guesswork - yeah. But it's pretty straightforward.

However for Giants memberships, its entirely guesswork as to how many are Canberra, how many are 3 match passes, how many are out of town/supporter etc. The fact that it's still going up is testament to that isn't it.

Didn't mean to derail so apologies, was just looking to see what discussion there was on this after hearing announcements and had to respond. Nobody was more disappointed than the falling crowds than I at the back end of last season - but the membership renewal demonstrates anything but a bandwagon, especially as prices have gone up around the ground and if anything the situation is far more dire with regards to the playing roster than it looked even in that dismal finishing to the season.

All this violence and chaos at A-league games, particularly the derbies, is going to drive families away. The AFL and northern clubs have to work their butts off to hold onto our family friendly atmosphere. We'll get some good migration of people prepared to switch codes for great sport and fun, friendly environment.

All this violence and chaos at A-league games, particularly the derbies, is going to drive families away. The AFL and northern clubs have to work their butts off to hold onto our family friendly atmosphere. We'll get some good migration of people prepared to switch codes for great sport and fun, friendly environment.
image.jpg
image.jpg

it will be interesting to see WSW membership when Parramatta gets upgraded in a few years. that should rat out people who buy a membership just to guarantee a seat at a Sydney Derby.

GWS are tracking nicely, although personally I think its time now that Spotless should be selling out for the Giants/Swans game. I predict as soon as GWS make their 1st finals series, general/non committed Sydney people will start paying more attention to GWS. The thing that WSW & GWS have going for their codes is they are 1 of 2 teams in Sydney (exclude CC & Newcastle), they will automatically have better numbers than NRL simply because there isn't a saturation of clubs within 50kms.

NRL are the ones who should be fearful, they seem to be going backwards and all the off field drama as well as on field drama (refereeing, rules/interpretation) are really turning people off from watching. im a fan of all football codes (except Rugby) and there are times where id prefer to watch an AFL game instead of an NRL game and I have mates who feel exactly the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back