Other Uniquely named teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested in singular, individual names that sports teams have acquired. For example, 'Cardinals' are always St.Louis, but 1933/34 they were the 'Gas House Gang'. Similarly, 'Busby's Babes' of Man Utd, or Hawthorn circa early 60's - 'Kennedy's Commandos'. Hope you get the drift, interested to hear other names. (And it's not just interesting nicknames, it's particular teams.)

All New Zealand teams call themselves 'Black' - All blacks, Tall Blacks, Black Caps etc.

The badminton team wanted to call themselves the 'Black utensils'.

Imagine the Haka!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Their soccer team is known as The All Whites.

Thanks for the responses so far, but with respect... I'm not asking for team nicknames. I'm looking for names given to particular teams on a one-off basis. The only other example I can think of is the Philadelphia Phillies circa 1950 to 1952 - the 'Whiz Kids'. 'Whiz Kids' is the kind of name I'm looking for, not 'Phillies'. That's it from me, I just can't think of any more- which is why I started the thread! Cheers

Cleveland had an NFL team from the 80s (I think) that won a lot of close games - comebacks etc. They became known as the Cardiac Kids.

The 1927 New York Yankees were the first team to be called the Bronx Bombers. The top of their order (Tony Lazzeri, Mark Koenig, Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig) was known as Murderer's Row.

The 1972 Australian Cricket team was the original Ugly Aussies.

Real Madrid had a period (early 2000s) where the team was known as the Galacticos due to the number of big-name signings they made.

Rowing - Awesome Foursome.

Of course, there have been lots of Dream Teams.

Essendon have had a few good ones over the years, such as the "Baby Bombers" from the early '90s, and as far back to the 1920s with the "Mosquito Fleet".

Some of my personal favourites are basketball ones from the NBA. Particularly Portland's "Jail Blazers" of the early 2000s, and the Detroit Pistons' "Bad Boys" of the late '80s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phi Slama Jama for that university basketball team in Houston in early 80's.
Had the likes of Clyde Drexler & Hakeem Olajuwon in the team & they were apparently awesome to watch.

A few more from MLB.......

Milwaukee Brewers 1982 - Harvey's Wallbangers

Chicago White Sox 1906 - Hitless Wonders

Chicago White Sox 1959 - Go Go Sox

Boston Red Sox 1967 - Cardiac Kids

New York Mets 1969 - Miracle Mets

Philadelphia Phillies 1950 - Whiz Kids

St Louis Cardinals 1934 - Gas House Gang

And the NFL.....

Cincinnati Bengals 1990s/2000s - The Bungles

Atlanta Falcons 1998 - Dirty Birds

Seattle Seahawks 2014 - Legion of Boom

New York Jets early 1980s - New York Sack Exchange

Chicago Bears 1940s - Monsters Of The Midway

Denver Broncos 1970s - Orange Crush

Minnesota Vikings 1970s - Purple People Eaters

Pittsburgh Steelers 1970s - Steel Curtain

NHL.....

Philadelphia Flyers 1970s - Broad Street Bullies

NBA.....

LA Lakers 1980s - Showtime

A few unique soccer teams (or at least what I think are 'cool' names).

'Crystal Palace' (UK)

'Inverness Caledonian Thistle F.C'

Welsh Premier League has a few interesting ones - 'Cefn Druids' & 'Gap Connah's Quay'

'Young boys' & 'Grasshopper' (both Swiss)

Always thought 'Bonnyrigg White Eagles' (local NSW club) was a pretty cool name.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back