Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Dylan gets away with a lot these days just because of who he is. I remember when Time Out Of Mind came out the acclaim for it was like it was the second coming (which was why I bought it), but in reality if anyone else had written and recorded that album it wouldn't have got a second listen from anybody.

(Speaking as a fan of Dylan here, but not a fan of everything he's ever done)

Nope.

I don't think he's a natural poet. His expression is often clumsy, he uses very vague metaphors and I don't find his songs particularly inspiring.
Fair enough. Love his songwriting/storytelling.

A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall is one of the best songs ever written IMO.

Here's one that seems to be unpopular in the general population, but will probably be popular here:

I hate radio remixes. Not the radio edits where they cut parts out to make it shorter (although these could usually be done a lot better). I'm talking about where they add some stupid drum track, or add random synths to make it more "fit for radio"

For example, check out 1:30 in this song below (it would be best if you played from a bit before). The original is far better, and they've honestly ruined the song with the remix.

Original:

Remix:

Putting down Bob Dylan is too easy. 'Don't Think Twice It's Alright' maybe the only song I love of his, but surely others deserve more criticism.

Here's one that seems to be unpopular in the general population, but will probably be popular here:

I hate radio remixes. Not the radio edits where they cut parts out to make it shorter (although these could usually be done a lot better). I'm talking about where they add some stupid drum track, or add random synths to make it more "fit for radio"

For example, check out 1:30 in this song below (it would be best if you played from a bit before). The original is far better, and they've honestly ruined the song with the remix.

Original:

Remix:

How can you tell which one is worse. Surely you don't respect Ed Sheeran Sheeran?

How can you tell which one is worse. Surely you don't respect Ed Sheeran Sheeran?
Well another unpopular opinion for this thread then apparently:

I like Ed Sheeran's music. Not the guy himself from what I've seen, but his music is good in my opinion.

Elitism aside you don't find it Cheesy?
Some of it, yes. But what can I say, I like cheesiness sometimes :D

Honestly, from a musicianship standpoint, he's a bit underrated. He's a very good singer technically. A lot of the time he uses simple chords, but he does a few nice little things with some lead lines or some little guitar lines, and he doesn't overdo anything, he just does what the song requires And he's great at his harmonies, which I'm a sucker for.

And don't get me wrong, I can completely see the other side of the coin. Some people might say he's boring, some might say it's too simple or repetitive or cheesy as you said, and there are many different reasons why people don't like him, and they're valid. I just don't agree with them.

Some of it, yes. But what can I say, I like cheesiness sometimes :D

Honestly, from a musicianship standpoint, he's a bit underrated. He's a very good singer technically. A lot of the time he uses simple chords, but he does a few nice little things with some lead lines or some little guitar lines, and he doesn't overdo anything, he just does what the song requires And he's great at his harmonies, which I'm a sucker for.

And don't get me wrong, I can completely see the other side of the coin. Some people might say he's boring, some might say it's too simple or repetitive or cheesy as you said, and there are many different reasons why people don't like him, and they're valid. I just don't agree with them.

Some of his newer stuff are crap compared to his other stuff.
FWIW my favourite song of his is Drunk.

Guy above posted a couple of videos that had a couple of Ed's songs remixed, his song Drunk was remixed by Rudimental and Don't was remixed by Netsky.

Some of his newer stuff are crap compared to his other stuff.
FWIW my favourite song of his is Drunk.

Guy above posted a couple of videos that had a couple of Ed's songs remixed, his song Drunk was remixed by Rudimental and Don't was remixed by Netsky.
I actually like some of his newer stuff more, but some of it's pretty crap agreed, like The Man and some other songs.

Some of his best stuff in my mind is older than his "debut" album, like his collaboration album with some different grime artists, or a couple of his EP's.

That was me comparing Bloodstream, which was remixed by Rudimental too. The remix is s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Original:

Remix:

Agree so much with this. Happen when they played pretty much any Lana Del Ray song on commercial radio, they would have it as a upbeat drum and bass remix. Originals were so much better I'm not sure why they do it. London Grammar's "strong" was also drum and bass'ed remixed on commercial radio, never heard the original, which is awesome.

What annoys me even more is the presenter don't acknowledge that it's a remix. It's one of the reasons why commercial radio is horrible, the presenters know nothing about music.

Agree so much with this. Happen when they played pretty much any Lana Del Ray song on commercial radio, they would have it as a upbeat drum and bass remix. Originals were so much better I'm not sure why they do it. London Grammar's "strong" was also drum and bass'ed remixed on commercial radio, never heard the original, which is awesome.

What annoys me even more is the presenter don't acknowledge that it's a remix. It's one of the reasons why commercial radio is horrible, the presenters know nothing about music.
It was funny when somebody played that horrible Redfoo song on the radio, and one of the hosts is like "Such an awesome song, wouldn't you say?" and the other host went "It's not really my thing." What followed was 5 seconds of awkward silence, followed by the other host going "But it's Redfoo!"

It was funny when somebody played that horrible Redfoo song on the radio, and one of the hosts is like "Such an awesome song, wouldn't you say?" and the other host went "It's not really my thing." What followed was 5 seconds of awkward silence, followed by the other host going "But it's Redfoo!"
lol. I actually dont think they played that STFU song by redfoo for very long, they saw the light.

I like his voice but don't think he's a particularly good songwriter.
dylan's songwriting from 63' to 66' is phenomenal in the context it's release. highway 61 revisited in particular is still a goddamn incredible album.

Nope.

I don't think he's a natural poet. His expression is often clumsy, he uses very vague metaphors and I don't find his songs particularly inspiring.
i can accept that lyrically he is an acquired taste. a bit like the beastie boys, his dumb lyrics or clumsy expressions don't bother me as long as they suit the music. like ballad of a thin man has some goddamn bizarre lyrics but in the context of listening to the track, they fit just fine.

it seems odd praising neil young in the same breath though? shakey at his best is usually kinda channeling dylan's surrealist style (last trip to tulsa, out on the weekend, words, ambulance/revolution blues etc.) and i'm not smart enough to be able to interpret surrealist lyricism and tell if he does it all that better.

I just don't find them particularly interesting. Of course of you contextualise it, you make sense of his bizarre phrases and off-kilter references but even then I just find the whole thing really glosses over me.

I don't Neil Young's lyrics surreal at all - I think he's just a natural songwriter, much like Bruce Springsteen or Tom Waits. There's poetry interspersed and woven cleverly into crisp, compact and memorable songs.

I can't stand The Yeah Yeah Yeahs music. I like Nick Zinner, reminds me of Rowland S Howard. and Karen O looks really good. But I haven't found a single song yet that I like.

I can't stand The Yeah Yeah Yeahs music. I like Nick Zinner, reminds me of Rowland S Howard. and Karen O looks really good. But I haven't found a single song yet that I like.

'Show Your Bones' (particularly the second half) was an awesome album IMO. 'Fever to Tell' was pretty good too. Totally different band on their other two releases, which really should have just been Karen O solo efforts.

She's unusual looking, but she's f**king hot as well.

Found this book on my bookshelf called The 100 Best Australian Albums. It must be a few years old now but apparently the list is compiled by three "highly respected" music writers and journalists.

Now I know everyone has different tastes and you can't please everyone. But is it just me or apart from about seven amazing and seemingly surprising entry's does it not look like it was put together by someone with a far from passionate interest in music who skims through a Rolling Stone magazine occasionally.

1.Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust
2.AC/DC - Back in Black
3.Crowded House - Woodface
4.Cold Chisel - Circus Animals
5.The Triffids - Born Sandy Devotional
6.Easybeats - The Best Of
7.Paul Kelly and the Coloured Girls - Gossip
8.You Am I - Hi Fi Way
9.Skyhooks - Living in the 70's
10.Avalanches - Since I Left You
11.INXS - Kick
12.Go-Betweens - 16 Lovers Lane