Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I have in the past decided not to comment on Chet Faker. But after finally hearing his music tonight I would say it is not as bad as the worst opinions I have seen but still quite awful. I would suggest the average person with a sense of melody could write one of these tracks singing in the shower.

Last edited:
Have in the past decided not comment on Chet Faker. But after finally hearing his music tonight I would say it is not as bad as the worst opinions I have seen but still quite awful. I would suggest the average person with a sense of melody could write one of these tracks singing in the shower.
Nice to know that you have at least listened to his music and then had an opinion on it. Instead of the posters who have bashed him and his music with out even listening to it

I have in the past decided not to comment on Chet Faker. But after finally hearing his music tonight I would say it is not as bad as the worst opinions I have seen but still quite awful. I would suggest the average person with a sense of melody could write one of these tracks singing in the shower.
Had a listen myself (after the girl I'm kind of seeing told me I should).

To me, it's not bad, it's not good though. It's just kind of... average in every way. But it's still better than the majority of mainstream music these days, which is an indictment on mainstream music.

Is it though?

I can't even see how it's made it into the popsphere. There's no hooks, the songs drag out enormously, there's no dynamics, his vocals are truly horrible and and his lyrics are so boring.

I don't like Taylor Swift or Katy Perry but I can see why they appeal to commercial listeners.

Chet Faker has to be some kind of fad? Surely.

Is it though?

I can't even see how it's made it into the popsphere. There's no hooks, the songs drag out enormously, there's no dynamics, his vocals are truly horrible and and his lyrics are so boring.

I don't like Taylor Swift or Katy Perry but I can see why they appeal to commercial listeners.

Chet Faker has to be some kind of fad? Surely.
I'd say it's part fad, part hipster bullshit (for lack of a better term).

For me, I'd much rather stuff like Chet Faker than the uninspired synth pad layers with the same compressed kick that dominates the whole song and the horrible sounding drops with the worst synth sounds imaginable. Which, unfortunately, has made it into the mainstream. That's the music I was talking about, not Taylor Swift/Katy Perry.

I still enjoy listening to Limp Bizkit.

I certainly don't take their music seriously, but I find it nostalgically entertaining. It's hilarious how massive the 'Chocolate Starfish & The Hot Dog Flavored Water' album was at my primary school.

Just think, a bunch of 9 year olds singing along to the song 'Hot Dog' ie. "It's a f**ked up world in a f**ked up place, everybody's judged by their f**ked up face".

How can kids in grade 4 relate to that at all? :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure if it's unpopular, but I think the organ is a terribly underused and underrated instrument. It can add so much to a song if it's used properly. The same goes with horns.
Not unpopular as far as I'm concerned. Listen to Ghost Town by The Specials. Nice instrument.

I'm not sure if it's unpopular, but I think the organ is a terribly underused and underrated instrument. It can add so much to a song if it's used properly. The same goes with horns.
Definitely agree that the organ should be used more, especially of those with the Hammond variety.

With horns, I do believe that if used properly it can make a song, but the fact is that the majority of songwriters these days have forgotten how to use horns. Also, synthesised horns always sound like s**t.

Definitely agree that the organ should be used more, especially of those with the Hammond variety.

With horns, I do believe that if used properly it can make a song, but the fact is that the majority of songwriters these days have forgotten how to use horns. Also, synthesised horns always sound like s**t.
This pretty much encompasses everything I love and while it not be my favourite Springsteen song, the organ at the start is energetic, I love the sax and another instrument that is criminally underrated - the harmonica.

Found this book on my bookshelf called The 100 Best Australian Albums. It must be a few years old now but apparently the list is compiled by three "highly respected" music writers and journalists.

Now I know everyone has different tastes and you can't please everyone. But is it just me or apart from about seven amazing and seemingly surprising entry's does it not look like it was put together by someone with a far from passionate interest in music who skims through a Rolling Stone magazine occasionally.

1.Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust
2.AC/DC - Back in Black
3.Crowded House - Woodface
4.Cold Chisel - Circus Animals
5.The Triffids - Born Sandy Devotional
6.Easybeats - The Best Of
7.Paul Kelly and the Coloured Girls - Gossip
8.You Am I - Hi Fi Way
9.Skyhooks - Living in the 70's
10.Avalanches - Since I Left You
11.INXS - Kick
12.Go-Betweens - 16 Lovers Lane
13.Radio Birdman - Radios Appear
14.Daddy Cool - Daddy Who? Daddy Cool!
15.Richard Clapton - Goodbye Tiger
16.Bee Gees - Best of
17.The Birthday Party - Junkyard
18.Hunters & Collectors - Human Frailty
19.Sarah Blasko - As Day Follows Night
20.The Saints - I'm Stranded
21.Drones - Gala Mill
22.Split Enz - True Colours
23.Midnight Oil - 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
24.Slim Dusty - The Very Best of
25.Silverchair - Neon Ballroom
26.Nick Cave Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call
27.Regurgitator - Unit
28.Hoodoo Gurus - Stoneage Romeos
29.Empire of the Sun - Walking on a Dream
30.Gurrumul - Gurrumul
31.Kasey Chambers - Barricades & Brickwall
32.Johnny O'Keefe - The Wild One
33.The Church - Starfish
34.The Reels - Quasimodo's Dream
35.Master's Apprentices - Master's Apprentices
36.Savage Garden - Savage Garden
37.Sunnyboys - Sunnyboys
38.Kev Carmody & Various Artists - Cannot Buy My Soul
39.Something For Kate - Echolalia
40.Stephen Cummings - Lovetown
41.The Saints - Prehistoric Sounds
42.Australian Crawl - The Boys Light Up
43.Powderfinger - Odyssey No. 5
44.Mental as Anything - Cats & Dogs
45.Eddy Current Suppression Ring - Rush To Relax
46.Models - Pleasure of Your Company
47.Augie March - Moo, You Bloody Choir
48.The Missing Links - The Missing Links
49.Ed Kuepper - Honey Steel's Gold
50.AC/DC - Highway to Hell
51.The Sports - Don't Throw Stones
52.The Seekers - Greatest Hits
53.Cold Chisel - East
54.Underground Lovers - Leaves Me Blind
55.You Am I - Hourly, Daily
56.INXS - The Swing
57.The Living End - The Living End
58.Jimmy Barnes - For the Working Class Man
59.Russell Morris - Wings of an Eagle
60.Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars
61.The Presets - Apocalypso
62.The Dingoes - The Dingoes
63.The Cruel Sea - The Honeymoon is Over
64.The Angels - Face to Face
65.The Hummingbirds - loveBUZZ
66.Paul Kelly - Foggy Highway
67.Chain - Towards the Blues
68.Dragon - O Zambesi
69.Billy Thorpe & the Aztecs - Live at Sunbury
70.The Scientists - Blood Red River
71.Crowded House - Temple of Low Men
72.Died Pretty - Doughboy Hollow
73.Axiom - Fool's Gold
74.Bob Evans - Suburban Songbook
75.Dirty 3 - Ocean Songs
76.Renee Geyer - Ready to Deal
77.The Church - The Blurred Crusade
78.The Vines - Highly Evolved
79.John Farnham - Whispering Jack
80.The Loved Ones - Magic Box
81.Sleepy Jackson - Lovers
82.Bliss N Eso - Flying Colours
83.Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Tender Prey
84.Tex, Don + Charlie - Sad But True
85.Flowers - Icehouse
86.Missy Higgins - The Sound of White
87.Go-Betweens - Before Hollywood
88.Normie Rowe - Ain't Necessarily So
89.Jet - Get Born
90.Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band - Smoke Dreams
91.Ben Lee - Awake is the New Sleep
92.Rose Tattoo - Rose Tattoo
93.I'm Talking - Bear Witness
94.X - X-Aspirations
95.Beaches - Beaches
96.Baby Animals - Baby Animals
97.Bernard Fanning - Tea & Sympathy
98.Kylie Minogue - Fever
99.Men at Work - Business As Usual
100.Morning of the Earth - Soundtrack

This list makes me seriously stabby. It's a popularity contest with some token alternative inclusions.

Have you heard of the musician from New Jersey that sings that song New York City Serenade. I think his name is Bruce something?

Have you heard of the musician from New Jersey that sings that song New York City Serenade. I think his name is Bruce something?
That was going to be my next thing to add - strings. Tremendously underused. Does anybody else think so? I always smile whenever I hear strings unexpectedly in songs.

And I was going to reference that exact song

Rocket Science and The Charlatans (UK) are two bands you may enjoy.

I've never really been able to get into these guys. They sound good on paper though.

I still listen to Some Friendly every now and then and enjoy it.

Had the one or two rippers a few good ones and some pus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back