vale Ian Craig

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't realise he was also Australia's youngest test captain. Didn't actually realised he captained.

Must have been an incredible burden to carry at such a young age being thrust through the ranks so quickly - A mistake that continues to be made too frequently across the cricketing word.

There is a photo of him on his cricinfo profile from about 6 months ago and he wasn't looking to bad.

RIP.

A fascinating character Ian Craig. Obviously a fine young player, playing 1st Class cricket when he was only 16 so he was obviously under the selectors eye. The ACB at the time weren't all that keen on appointing players such as Keith Miller, Neil Harvey, etc, so they opted for Ian Johnson who Richie Benaud rated as a "good speech maker". In other words, someone who would tow the ACB line and never say or do anything that may be considered controversial.

When Johnson retired, the ACB looked at their options and decided Ian Craig was the type of person needed. Although there was much criticism of selecting someone so young, and seen at the ACB's golden haired boy, Craig had full support of the players and there was never any criticism of his leadership, especially since he would back the players against the board. Unfortunately he never made the huge scores people were expecting of him, but he was a good leader.

Ill health took it's toll on him and he wasn't able to handle playing 1st class cricket, so he retired. The amusing thing about Ian is he was still living at home with mum and dad when he was appointed Captain of Australia. I doubt you'd see that happen these days :)

RIP Ian Craig

Didn't realise he was also Australia's youngest test captain. Didn't actually realised he captained.

Must have been an incredible burden to carry at such a young age being thrust through the ranks so quickly - A mistake that continues to be made too frequently across the cricketing word.

There is a photo of him on his cricinfo profile from about 6 months ago and he wasn't looking to bad.

RIP.
I went to a function several months ago and spoke with Mr Craig there.

He came across as a truly lovely man. It was a pleasure to speak with him.

You certainly wouldn't have known he was ill, I am actually stunned.

When Johnson retired, the ACB looked at their options and decided Ian Craig was the type of person needed. Although there was much criticism of selecting someone so young, and seen at the ACB's golden haired boy, Craig had full support of the players and there was never any criticism of his leadership, especially since he would back the players against the board. Unfortunately he never made the huge scores people were expecting of him, but he was a good leader.

I don't doubt he could play. No one makes undefeated double centuries against touring teams (as he did against the 1952/53 South Africans) by accident. Especially in that era. I guess the combination of ridiculous expectation and pressure from Captaincy didn't help.

It's sobering to be reminded that expecting the extraordinary from very young players is nothing new as well.

I don't doubt he could play. No one makes undefeated double centuries against touring teams (as he did against the 1952/53 South Africans) by accident. Especially in that era. I guess the combination of ridiculous expectation and pressure from Captaincy didn't help.

It's sobering to be reminded that expecting the extraordinary from very young players is nothing new as well.

Yep. Since 1948, the Australian press and public were continuously on the lookout for the new Bradman. Any new talent who burst onto the scene immediately captured Australia's imagination. Craig, O'Neill and Walters were three players who all copped the "next Bradman" tag. Whereas it didn't work out for Craig, O'Neill had a good career before it was abruptly halted ..... and nothing ever worried Doug :)

10409024_10152852616894313_6234845177628413649_n.jpg

A fascinating character Ian Craig. Obviously a fine young player, playing 1st Class cricket when he was only 16 so he was obviously under the selectors eye. The ACB at the time weren't all that keen on appointing players such as Keith Miller, Neil Harvey, etc, so they opted for Ian Johnson who Richie Benaud rated as a "good speech maker". In other words, someone who would tow the ACB line and never say or do anything that may be considered controversial.

Ill health took it's toll on him and he wasn't able to handle playing 1st class cricket, so he retired. The amusing thing about Ian is he was still living at home with mum and dad when he was appointed Captain of Australia. I doubt you'd see that happen these days :)

RIP Ian Craig

This era has always really interested me after reading an autobiography on Miller and Benaud's book.

Have never read anything critical of Craig coming from players of that era so he must have been a very well respected leader.

This era has always really interested me after reading an autobiography on Miller and Benaud's book.

Have never read anything critical of Craig coming from players of that era so he must have been a very well respected leader.

If you haven't read it yet, I'd like to suggest The Summer Game by Gideon Haigh. It's one of my favourite cricket books and covers the period of Australian cricket from 1949 to 1971, a period where very little had been covered in depth before.

If you haven't read it yet, I'd like to suggest The Summer Game by Gideon Haigh. It's one of my favourite cricket books and covers the period of Australian cricket from 1949 to 1971, a period where very little had been covered in depth before.

Definitely would be keen to, will keep an eye out for it. Always enjoy Haigh's work.

Have you ever had the chance to read 'Bradman's War'? Came out a year or so ago I think - I found it really enlightening, showing how Bradman essentially came bigger than the game and the conflict it caused amongst the team on the 1948 tour. It was still very fair and objective, presenting reasons why Bradman was so desperately ruthless and bloody minded.

Definitely would be keen to, will keep an eye out for it. Always enjoy Haigh's work.

Have you ever had the chance to read 'Bradman's War'? Came out a year or so ago I think - I found it really enlightening, showing how Bradman essentially came bigger than the game and the conflict it caused amongst the team on the 1948 tour. It was still very fair and objective, presenting reasons why Bradman was so desperately ruthless and bloody minded.

Will do.

Just on Ian Craig, I think he pretty much did what Ian Chappell did. He was a players' captain. He treated men like men, not schoolboys, and backed the players at all times. Those type of leaders will always endear themselves to their players.

I always hated the schoolboy type captain who kept moving you in the field, 2 yards this way, 2 yards that way, etc. Chappell just told you where you were fielding and then it was up to you where you placed yourself. I placed the onus on the players to do the right thing, and from what I hear, Craig was very similar.

Yep. Since 1948, the Australian press and public were continuously on the lookout for the new Bradman. Any new talent who burst onto the scene immediately captured Australia's imagination. Craig, O'Neill and Walters were three players who all copped the "next Bradman" tag. Whereas it didn't work out for Craig, O'Neill had a good career before it was abruptly halted ..... and nothing ever worried Doug :)

I reckon if you wanted to teach batsmen the value of not overthinking the game, he is the ultimate example. Sehwag would probably be number two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found his Sydney grade cricket stats online. He played for Mosman between 1951 and 1969.

166 innings, 7 not outs, 146 highest score, 5,546 runs, 34.88 average, 11 100s