Vale Lindsay Kline

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/vale-lindsay-kline-australia-test-cricketer-tributes/2015-10-02

Sad to wake up to this news this morning. Lindsay was a family friend and apart from being an Australian Test cricketer, famous for that Tied Test, he was a terrific bloke. He actually gave me my first job as a school kid, working in his Fire Protection business during school holidays.

Lunchtimes consisted of clearing a cricket pitch in the middle of his factory and I got to face his left arm spinners. I say face him, because I hardly ever go a bat on the ball. Even bowling underarm with a tennis ball, the bloody thing would do all sorts! A great bloke and a great family. For someone who never smoked in his life, its a sad thing that lung cancer got to him in the end. RIP

I wish I'd been around for that 1961 Test against the West Indies where he survived 2 hours batting to force a draw against the West Indies. Between that and his involvement in the tied Test, he was a man who knew how to be there for the big moments!

RIP mate.

Kline's only five-for in Test cricket was 7-75 versus Pakistan at Lahore in 1959-60. These are still the best bowling figures in an innings by an Aussie in Pakistan. With the recent history of not touring Pakistan, this record may stand for some time yet.

Spoke at my cricket club about 5 years ago, had some great stories to tell and was very humble.

R.I.P Lindsay

I wish I'd been around for that 1961 Test against the West Indies where he survived 2 hours batting to force a draw against the West Indies. Between that and his involvement in the tied Test, he was a man who knew how to be there for the big moments!

RIP mate.

That drawn Test in Adelaide proved to be Kline's last. Most likely he was dropped for the fact he had match figures of 0-157 than for his "slow scoring".
Most of us would remember Jason Gillespie as another Aussie bowler who performed batting heroics in the last Test they played.
Another bowler in this category is Max Walker who scored 78* in the last Test he played. He then played WSC for Kerry Packer, played in ODIs after the compromise, but no more Tests.