Secondary Vcal

Remove this Banner Ad

Miss Hawthorn

Debutant
Sep 13, 2008
Melb :)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
At my school, VCAL student’s aren’t taken seriously and don’t get the same treatment as VCE students, i as a VCAL student I'm over this treatment so i am leaving at the end of the year to take up a full time job.

Many VCAL students are leaving at the end of the year, because of these reasons. IMO it is not right for people just to leave school because they aren’t taught well, surely education is valued highly enough for every class to have a teacher that regularly attends class and to make it a priority. My school is also a private school so surely they can afford teachers for their students.

Out of interest is VCAL the same at all schools? or do some school take pride in their VCAL students?

At my school, VCAL student’s aren’t taken seriously and don’t get the same treatment as VCE students, i as a VCAL student I'm over this treatment so i am leaving at the end of the year to take up a full time job.

Many VCAL students are leaving at the end of the year, because of these reasons. IMO it is not right for people just to leave school because they aren’t taught well, surely education is valued highly enough for every class to have a teacher that regularly attends class and to make it a priority. My school is also a private school so surely they can afford teachers for their students.

Out of interest is VCAL the same at all schools? or do some school take pride in their VCAL students?

Same.

They suggest VCAL for the 'less' bright ones but no one really does it or considers it as an option.

Same.

They suggest VCAL for the 'less' bright ones but no one really does it or considers it as an option.

I do VCAL coz I was very sick all through year 10 so there was no way I could cope with the stress of VCE.
I think one of the reasons they dont care is because our results dont show in the paper.

I do VCAL coz I was very sick all through year 10 so there was no way I could cope with the stress of VCE.
I think one of the reasons they dont care is because our results dont show in the paper.

This is the problem. I think that private schools are more results driven as they are operating in a competitive market for new students. Whereas, while in public schools the results are important, as is it less of a competition for students then they are more focused on the growth of the students per se. If they treated me like crap, I would leave as well.

This is the problem. I think that private schools are more results driven as they are operating in a competitive market for new students. Whereas, while in public schools the results are important, as is it less of a competition for students then they are more focused on the growth of the students per se. If they treated me like crap, I would leave as well.
But what about schools that have IB? They encourage (well atleast my school) people to do IB if possible instead of VCE and it always gets joked around school that they are more important but these results don't get printed in the paper.

At my school quite a lot of people do VCAL. The VCAL people even get their own common room and special jumper, which the year 11's who do VCE don't. However, VCAL is regarded as a bit of a joke by the VCE students.

VCAL is regarded by most as the option taken when you're too dumb to do VCE but too lazy to go and get a full time job. Usually whenever I walk past the VCAL room there is a teacher reading a newspaper in the corner while the class is jumping on the tables and throwing faeces at each other (possibly exaggerated a bit).

But our school does have a lot of VCAL kids because they basically don't want dumb people doing VCE and bringing the average down.

At our school, the vcal class is made heaps of fun off

a few kids left as reason for this, but i do think this is an easy option for kids, unless a child has learning difficulties or some medical reason they should do VCE or drop out and get a real job not just stay at school for the sake of it

and yes i do VCE and nearly every day would hear a vcal joke

First Lesson- How to tell the Time :p

jokes aside, the program is questionable

The uninformed will continue to speak negatively about the VCAL program.

But simply - ATAR = Australian Tertiary Admission Ranking. No intention of studying at University?

Why would you bother being ranked for Tertiary Admission?

It's not like anybody is going to hire you in any field because you completed a VCE subject that introduces a topic to you.

Oh! You studied VCE Psychology? Sure, I'll hire you as a Psychologist. said no one ever.

I'm VCE teacher. I recognise that VCE is only a tool for getting into University.

The uninformed will continue to speak negatively about the VCAL program.

But simply - ATAR = Australian Tertiary Admission Ranking. No intention of studying at University?

Why would you bother being ranked for Tertiary Admission?

It's not like anybody is going to hire you in any field because you completed a VCE subject that introduces a topic to you.

Oh! You studied VCE Psychology? Sure, I'll hire you as a Psychologist. said no one ever.

I'm VCE teacher. I recognise that VCE is only a tool for getting into University.

I'm all for it for the reasons you listed above. Secondary schooling in Australia is not geared towards vocational skills, rather ticking boxes to get into courses that do that for you

VCAL is a great alternative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back