VFL fans from the 70's and 80's - did you have a SANFL or WAFL team?

Remove this Banner Ad

The VFL was the top tier league that the best players from around the country joined to play against the best. The SANFL and WAFL were third-tier leagues (behind VFL reserves and probably VFA)

The teams were made up of some good young players not yet ready to move to Victoria, locals who weren't up to the top level, and old legends who never had the guts to challenge themselves in the VFL for fear of getting found out, so preferred to stay in a small pond where they could pretend that they would have been great.

Victorians had no interest in those leagues.
In the night games most SANFL-WAFL teams beat the VFA teams. Don’t think the VfL Reserves would have had much chance either…

The VFL was the top tier league that the best players from around the country joined to play against the best. The SANFL and WAFL were third-tier leagues (behind VFL reserves and probably VFA)

The teams were made up of some good young players not yet ready to move to Victoria, locals who weren't up to the top level, and old legends who never had the guts to challenge themselves in the VFL for fear of getting found out, so preferred to stay in a small pond where they could pretend that they would have been great.

SA had the equivalent of the VFA - the SAFA, which also was televised on Sunday's in the 70's and 80's.

A number of top line Victorians transferred to play in the SANFL at the height of their careers in the 1960's and prior.

Barrie Robran, like Stephen Michael, arguably the greatest footballer to play the game. Didn't play VFL.

It's really only been since 1991 when the Crows came in that all the very best players played in the top competition. You could argue a case for the 1980's, but even then players were choosing to stay home than play VFL. Added to this is country footballers (from all states) who stayed home to work instead of travelling to the city to play football.

It's hard to argue the VFL hasn't always been the strongest competition, although you could argue they haven't had the best teams, but it's 2nd rate compared to the AFL from 1991 onwards and all players becoming full time professionals from around that time, or a bit after.

The only thing close to the AFL from 1991 in terms of top tier standard, would've been the national carnivals.

Where did I say that Melbourne is bigger than Manchester United?

Deliberately posting lies should probably get a ban.

Where did I say that Melbourne is bigger than Manchester United?

Deliberately posting lies should probably get a ban.
I should have phrased “probably”

But the sad part is you might really believe what you write here…. hoping you was just having a troll around this thread….

Stephen Michael and Barrie Robran the greatest that ever played Aussie rules? Gimme some of that Barossa Bong Water, that must be some good s**t
I don't know about Robran as I am not an eastern-stater, so I don't think I ever saw him, except perhaps in state games, but TI is definitely the best player I have ever seen, bar none.

Stephen Michael and Barrie Robran the greatest that ever played Aussie rules? Gimme some of that Barossa Bong Water, that must be some good s**t

The legend of these guys builds up because they never tested themselves at the highest level. Imagine if Malcolm Blight or Ross Glendinning never moved to Victoria. They would have continued to annihilate lower level opponents and the same would be said of them.

You're FOS

The legend of these guys builds up because they never tested themselves at the highest level. Imagine if Malcolm Blight or Ross Glendinning never moved to Victoria. They would have continued to annihilate lower level opponents and the same would be said of them.
You could say the same about any footballer pre 1990. None of them were playing against the best footballers week in week out. There was only a small sample size of state games which pitted the best against the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even I know this isn’t true and im not from any of the states involved.
Correct, all three of the VFL, SANFL and WAFL were top-tier leagues

VFL was obviously better standard but it wasn't the top league like the AFL

There were tons of players in the WAFL and SANFL who would have walked into VFL sides

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Beautiful trolling.

Almost nobody in Victoria did. If we wanted to see the best WA and SA players we'd watch the VFL.
Ok but you do understand that just about all of those South Australian players at the time had spent years playing in the SANFL right ?It wasn't like these days where you just get drafted as an 18 year old and I'm guessing WA was the same. It was anything but a weak competition. I could make a massive list for you of the plyers I'm talking about but it would just take too much time and effort and I'm not actually sure if your trolling or not . So could you clarify please Are you trolling ?

Ok but you do understand that just about all of those South Australian players at the time had spent years playing in the SANFL right ?It wasn't like these days where you just get drafted as an 18 year old and I'm guessing WA was the same. It was anything but a weak competition. I could make a massive list for you of the plyers I'm talking about but it would just take too much time and effort and I'm not actually sure if your trolling or not . So could you clarify please Are you trolling ?
Do you realise almost all VFL players played in the reserves at some stage - by your logic the VFL reserves competition was at the same level as the VFL.

I liked Port Adelaide. Main reasons:
1. Cheer Cheer the Black and the White!
2. Unlike South Melbourne they actually played in Grand Finals
3. Russell Ebert. Also had a lot of hard nuts like Stephen Clifford

In the 70s and 80s I can only remember watching the SANFL Grand Finals plus the Night Competition (and they'd always get knocked out early by a VFL team), but would check their results in the newspapers

Subiaco - WAFL
Geelong West - VFA
Norwood - SANFL (off the back of watching Garry McIntosh in S.O.O. games)
Clarence - TFL (an old mate from Geelong, Darren Winter played there for years)
ACTAFL - Ainslie (Cowboy Neale)
QFL - Coorparoo (Dunstall)
Gary McIntosh was maybe the last genuinely great SANFL player to never go across to the VFL/ AFL.
Apparently plenty of offers came his way, but just had zero interest in leaving Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back