I_LUV_AFL

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2002
Central Coast, NSW
Other Teams
Penrith RLFC, Mariners FC
Panthers pip Broncos 29-28 in thriller
Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:45 PM

Elated Penrith five-eighth Peter Wallace described his match-winning 44-metre NRL field goal that sank Brisbane 29-28 at Suncorp Stadium as the "best feeling of my life".

Wallace's super strike completed a miraculous golden point win for the Panthers, who were eight points behind with five minutes to play.

"It's the first one I've ever kicked," said the Victorian-born 22-year-old, still smiling half an hour after the heart-stopping win.

Brisbane had led 28-20 after centre Justin Hodges scored his fourth try and none of the 24,582 crowd could have guessed the finish that was to unfold.

But when Penrith flyer Michael Jennings raced 85 metres to score his second try in the 77th minute, Penrith had a sniff.

With Brisbane desperately hanging on, winger Luke Rooney stabbed a grubber kick near Brisbane's line which deflected off Broncos winger Darius Boyd's foot.

Somehow, Panthers fullback Rhys Wesser flashed through and dived on the ball, the crowd holding its collective breath as video referee Tim Mander signalled a try to tie the game up 28-28.

Winger Michael Gordon had a chance to win the game on his own, but his pressure kick was just wide.

Penrith halfback Craig Gower had two snaps at field goal in the first period of extra time before Wallace stepped up and made an instant name for himself.

The loss kept the defending premiers winless and coach Wayne Bennett had little to say.

"You saw the game, write your own conclusion, you don't need me to elaborate on it," fired a snarly Bennett at the post-match press conference.

Asked if he was gutted or angry, Bennett said: "I'd rather pass on that question."

Panthers coach Matt Elliott was happy to take the points but said Penrith hadn't played that well against a team backing up on a short turnaround.

He complimented Hodges, only passed fit to play following a mid-morning test, on his four tries.

"He's a fine player, Justin Hodges. He needs to have knee problems more often," said Elliott.

Elliott was counting his blessings that Wesser was able to swoop on the ball for a try that sent the game into the golden-point period.

"A try like that, it's like playing the pinnies (pinball)," said Elliott of the way the ball bounced around before Wesser appeared from the blue.

Brisbane skipper Darren Lockyer said his side should have shut Penrith out in the closing minutes.

"We were up by eight with five minutes to go, we only have ourselves to blame," he said.

"They scored a couple of tries against the run of play, but we should have shut them out.

Michael Jennings, Michael Gordon and Peter Wallace are looking really good at the start of the year and they are all young guns. I'm starting to get excited about our chances this year. Penrith for Premiers 1991, 2003 AND 2008?

That was an unbelievable game, you must've been going nuts Tutaki.

I sure was. I thought we were gone with 8 minutes to go but the game reminded me of a few in 2003. We had the chance to throw it away yet we kept coming and got them. It really gives a breath of fresh air to see your team win like that. Look out Gold Coast next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back