Victorian Country Boys - Biggest Mummy's Boys in Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mummy's boys or wise investors? Geelong has every bloke down at that joint loaded up with enough half-priced acreage to last a lifetime. Bigger cheats than we were with the Brown Paper bags, just hasn't been an investigation into it.

I've been to Geelong a hundred times and can safely say its an absolute hole. Would prefer to be set up in the heart of Glen Waverly getting food poisoning every 2nd day than spend more than a week down there. Only reason half the players are there is property deals and free Fords.

For the same reasons WCE have a far higher retention rate than Freo. Hungry Jacks does a lot of heavy lifting for that joint

You'll have to change your handle when we come and take Walsh back for a second rounder.

The sooner the better, before he wastes any more if his career, we've got to get to work unbreaking him and de-Carltoning him.

For the longest time Victorian players have had the reputation for being the biggest go-home mummy's boys, but perhaps it's a little more specific. Looking at Geelong's list, 90% of their players are from the countryside. In the cases of Jeremy Cameron, Patrick Dangerfield, Tanner Bruhn, Oliver Henry; it wasn't enough just to leave their original clubs, it had to be Geelong or bust. Collingwood in particular have one of the best records of player retention, but not even they could prevent Oliver Henry from demanding to go back to mummy and big brother.

At this point, it's pretty obvious players from the Victorian Countryside struggle badly to adapt away from their comfort zone.

lmblpb8.png

I reckon the current Geelong Falcons team would beat Footscray such is the hold anything Geelong has over the Doggies.

Maybe some people just don't want to live in shithole big cities.

I'm in my 50s and never have. I've been happy to travel to the Western Oval, Windy Hill, Victoria Park, Princes Park, Arden St, Moorabin, Waverley, the MCG and Marvel for games or for a concert or show but who in their right mind would voluntarily live in Melbourne full time unless they didn't know any better or were forced to by being drafted?

The problem is that Victorian potential draftees go into the draft knowing there is a 55% chance they can stay home, so they never mentally prepare for moving interstate. A top Western Australian kid though knows for years that the odds of them staying in Western Australia after being drafted is small so they are far more mentally prepared for it.

The problem is that Victorian potential draftees go into the draft knowing there is a 55% chance they can stay home, so they never mentally prepare for moving interstate. A top Western Australian kid though knows for years that the odds of them staying in Western Australia after being drafted is small so they are far more mentally prepared for it.

So, like a Jordan Clark then? Said he was glad to be getting out of WA when being interviewed immediately after being drafted then couldn't wait to get back home again for some easy games.

As others have said we have a much better record with vic country kids than metro.
Also agree most country pubs are worthless, you will struggle to find any that run at a profit.

As others have said we have a much better record with vic country kids than metro.
Also agree most country pubs are worthless, you will struggle to find any that run at a profit.

Unless in eastern states case, they're full of pokies, outside of that, with no more drink driving people don't go. I lived in a tiny country town in Vic, 2002 to 2007, population of 300 but quite a few more in the local farming district. After local footy or cricket you'd get a crowd once a week but only for an hour or so before everyone started drifting off. The pub closed for good in 2008, it hasn't re-opened, plenty of small towns around the Goulburn Valley area that are the same.

So, like a Jordan Clark then? Said he was glad to be getting out of WA when being interviewed immediately after being drafted then couldn't wait to get back home again for some easy games.

Re writing a bit of history.

Clark had a scarlett mark over his name.

wines neale martin have won 50 percent of the Brownlows in the last 6 years away from there vic country homes.
Tom Mitchell is the only city Brownlow medalist since 2014.

For the longest time Victorian players have had the reputation for being the biggest go-home mummy's boys, but perhaps it's a little more specific. Looking at Geelong's list, 90% of their players are from the countryside. In the cases of Jeremy Cameron, Patrick Dangerfield, Tanner Bruhn, Oliver Henry; it wasn't enough just to leave their original clubs, it had to be Geelong or bust. Collingwood in particular have one of the best records of player retention, but not even they could prevent Oliver Henry from demanding to go back to mummy and big brother.

At this point, it's pretty obvious players from the Victorian Countryside struggle badly to adapt away from their comfort zone.

lmblpb8.png
Agree on O. Henry . He begged to be traded to Geelong or he would have a year out of the system. Hardly performed, yet happy to be home with his family… yeah couldn’t adapt to Collingwood and the big city perhaps.

It’s more the property developments in Greater Geelong that have brought considerable wealth to a lot of people from Geelong Football club, especially when a past President was there, lots of rumours but none ever substantiated.

I think having to drive through Corio and Norlane does Geelong no favours, but the Bellarine and Surf coast is very attractive for a number of reasons including the surf, outdoor sports, property prices, less traffic congestion etc.

Geelong FC has come along way from the council offering free memberships if you bought a property there.
Funnily enough, being a Norlane resident since 2010 the traffic is actually better in the Northern suburbs, there's been little population growth in this side of town, but back in the 60's the planners made nice wide roads which remain as such here. Getting around is easy and parking plentiful. Geelong City you are stuck with 40 K zones and useless bike lanes, and even as you go towards the Southern suburbs and the coast, there's a lot of traffic due to so many making that move in those areas, and the road infrastructure just isn't planned well for the population explosion. But each to their own i guess.

But the surf coast is a huge attraction for young, athletic blokes playing footy, and Geelong can offer that and still be just half an hour from training. Ollie Henry is probably a bit of an outlier in that Geelong gained his services from a huge Melbourne club, but we also lost a couple to the go-home factor to WA in Tim Kelly and Jordan Clark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the problem here the players being worded up on what to say, or is it you believing the word perfect quote ?

Geelong has done well with WA players, going back to the 1930s (George Moloney - Wikipedia.)

I reckon the current Geelong Falcons team would beat Footscray such is the hold anything Geelong has over the Doggies.

Maybe some people just don't want to live in shithole big cities.

I'm in my 50s and never have. I've been happy to travel to the Western Oval, Windy Hill, Victoria Park, Princes Park, Arden St, Moorabin, Waverley, the MCG and Marvel for games or for a concert or show but who in their right mind would voluntarily live in Melbourne full time unless they didn't know any better or were forced to by being drafted?
Considering the Bulldogs have to play Geelong at GMHBA every year, while other teams don’t at all, and you train and play in that ground and rarely lose, the losses have mounted up. Hopefully with your latest development the AFL can start to schedule Carlton, Essendon and even Richmond to play you down there more regularly, and you won’t get to play West Coast and North Melbourne twice, when you were a top four side, such as last year, giving you a very generous leg up.

Considering the Bulldogs have to play Geelong at GMHBA every year, while other teams don’t at all, and you train and play in that ground and rarely lose, the losses have mounted up. Hopefully with your latest development the AFL can start to schedule Carlton, Essendon and even Richmond to play you down there more regularly, and you won’t get to play West Coast and North Melbourne twice, when you were a top four side, such as last year, giving you a very generous leg up.
dons have their 2nd year in a row down there

id be staggered if post development Geelong aren't playing all their home games there barring a marquee event here and there (Easter monday for example)

player movement due to home/family reasons isn't new

i think of Stenglein leaving the crows, thompson the Dees, Wanga to Port (tho the truckload of money probably helped), headland to Freo, etc, etc.

The power player movement has enabled, plus the family home unit's role in player development in early days will see a lot more of either draftees slipping or asking for trades a year or two in.

Clubs will either need to back their system for retention, or run that risk.
i don't think it's particularly Vic Country/Metro kids though.

I think to the original "Mummys boys" who all left the lions, it was a spread.
Longer, Karnezis, Doch - Vic
Yeo - WA
Polec - SA

For every Bruhn, there's a Rankine, Jackson, JHF
For all the noise around Bergman, there's noise around Redman, etc, etc.

Guess you have remember that in any other job in life, you can quit and move when you like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back