WA Country Football

Remove this Banner Ad

neng

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2008
London
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi guys, I have been sitting, waiting, hoping that someone would make this thread, but alas no one has. So I'll try get is started. I would love to see some results, good players, new players and the like put in this thread. I love following all of country footy in WA even if I only play in one league.

Currently I play in the Ongerup Football Association for Jerramungup, we are 5-0 so far this year having just beaten reigning premiers Lake Grace by 8 goals last week, so we are pretty stoked. Prior to this I played for Quairading in the Avon Football Association for three years which I enjoyed... mainly for the amount piss drinking we did.

So share what you are up to/teams you are in and get the ball rolling.

Have you watched Off The Boot on WIN? Straight after the footy show or there's a replay on Saturday afternoon. Does a roundup of the results for all the country leagues with a bit more thrown in.

Had a bit to do with the Narrogin Hawks in the Upper Great Southern when I lived there for about five years. Still can't nab that A grade flag just yet!

The fact that Narrogin Hawks haven't been able to win a flag since the merger of Narrogin Eagles and Towns is pretty hilarious. The town ship draws from such a large player pool compared to the likes of Wickepin and Boddington etc...

The fact that Narrogin Hawks haven't been able to win a flag since the merger of Narrogin Eagles and Towns is pretty hilarious. The town ship draws from such a large player pool compared to the likes of Wickepin and Boddington etc...
To be honest I couldn't agree with you more, should have won at least a few flags by now just on the population difference compared to other towns!

Have already had dramas in the SWFL with Eaton sacking their league coach just weeks after winning their first ever premiership. Also had unconfirmed reports of alot of players leaving the club. All the makings of a bought premiership and now will suffer the consequences in 2014.

Dont Boddington have quite a large purse to attract players??

I havent been involved in footy much since leaving, but Boddington and Williams both had a number of players making the trip to play for them from the city for various reasons.

Boddington being far closer to Perth compared to Katanning or Kukerin/Dumbleyung helps their cause massively

What kind of money gets thrown around in the UGSFL?? Seems very similiar to SWFL with local talent, the only difference I reckon is the amount of travellers.

Cheers for the welcome.

It can only be a positive if we get this thread up and going and get more infor out about our country leagues. At the end of the day thats where a majority of players begin.

Plus with some of the reporters going around you would get better insight into games of footy and the goss on here anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have already had dramas in the SWFL with Eaton sacking their league coach just weeks after winning their first ever premiership. Also had unconfirmed reports of alot of players leaving the club. All the makings of a bought premiership and now will suffer the consequences in 2014.

Hi Sportsfan 0516,

The Eaton coach could not commit to coaching on a full time basis and thus had to part ways with the club. The level of commitment and time spent at the club the coach could provide due to family reasons was not up to the standard required by the board.

As far as buying a flag, Eaton recruited well last year and also got great service from their local players. The fact that Eaton had all their players training together (including travellers) for 80% of trainings was a definite factor in their success.

No less than 13 premiership players came through their Colts teams. You could argue that Jye & Jace Cormack, Jay Davis, Brendan Page, Bill Barnes & Blake Piggot are also local players being as they are local guys who have played for other clubs previously (much like Shaun Crane, Tyson Lee, Jacob Terry and Nat Fielding from your club). That leaves Jake Ferrier, Josh Bowe and Leigh Kelly as the traveling players.

Historically though, especially in the 2000's the team who has won the premiership have recruited well.
People from these clubs often have short memories and forget that the wheel is always turning and instead of being pleased for a club starved of success for it's entire 50 plus year existence, they claim they "cheated" by "buying" a premiership.

I can only speak for myself when I tell you that my total player payments for the year were $700. I played in all 20 games and captained a premiership.

I understand that other players in my team got paid more significantly than myself, but I understand that in order to compete at a high level, recruiting and paying players is essential. I'd guarantee that happens in any SWFL club. The fact is people are going to speculate no matter what, the rumour mill is constantly in motion down here and the figures bandied around are generally inaccurate. For example, already I have heard SB have signed Brett Robinson from Swan Districts for $1200 per game plus a $7000 sign on fee.

As far as player movements go I doubt any players will be on the move apart from Josh Branchi who will try his luck in the WAFL. It is always hard to keep any group together year to year but I expect Eaton will retain the vast majority of its players from their first premiership side.

Will.

Good to see your honesty Will.

Its not cheating at all. The only concern I have is that I hope the club has the support and financial backing for the years ahead. Yes you only have the 3 travellers but no doubt the other guys are on good wickets, much like some of the players you mentioned from South's. Clubs like South's have a large sponsor base and it is ran as a company, not a sporting club. Hence why it, touch wood, will always be in a strong position off the field.

As for Robinson, who knows. I heard we threw $1200 at Kelly prior to the 2013 season and you guys beat the price.

Personally it was good seeing someone like yourself win a premiership. Been through the hard yards at the club and in 2013 reaped the rewards. Cant say I wasn't jealous.

NF

Good to see your honesty Will.

Its not cheating at all. The only concern I have is that I hope the club has the support and financial backing for the years ahead. Yes you only have the 3 travellers but no doubt the other guys are on good wickets, much like some of the players you mentioned from South's. Clubs like South's have a large sponsor base and it is ran as a company, not a sporting club. Hence why it, touch wood, will always be in a strong position off the field.

As for Robinson, who knows. I heard we threw $1200 at Kelly prior to the 2013 season and you guys beat the price.

Personally it was good seeing someone like yourself win a premiership. Been through the hard yards at the club and in 2013 reaped the rewards. Cant say I wasn't jealous.

NF

Thanks mate, are the boys calling you John Farnham yet? Going round again I hear?

I was using Robinson as an example of fact and rumour often being a fair distance apart. I would assume that payments between club and player are just that, between club and player.
Maybe we beat your offer to Kelly or perhaps he regarded our club as a better choice for him, either way once again that is between the player and the club.

Thanks for your concern in regards to our financial future. Eaton is obviously not at the level of SB in terms of sponsorship, fundraising, facilities, success or supporter base. However as with every club, the board and volunteers work extremely hard to make sure we operate within our financial constraints. As our financial report indicated at our AGM, our club's (which is incorporated, just as I assume SB is) finances are in a sound state.

In regards to other guys being on good wickets, you would have to ask them the exact figures but you must have some solid sources of information if there is "no doubt". Anyway I wish you all the best for season 2014 and will no doubt bump into you around the traps. Congratulations on the new arrival too.

Will

South West Football League is going to have a lot of players from the WAFL that could still dominate at that level. The names I am hearing are high quality players. Sad for the WAFL but a plus for the SWFL as will hopefully attract crowds especially with a 30% boost in night games this year.

Do you know when the SWFL will put the fixtures on their website? The season is not far away and I haven't seen one yet :(
I have seen a copy that South Bunbury tweeted on Tues I think. The SWFL has made some strange decisions with first game of the season on Easter Saturday night between South By and Cary Pk. Than games again the following weekend for the Anzac Day weekend. But then they have a general bye for a musical festival which is in Bunbury in May.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back