WACA Wallys

Remove this Banner Ad

Perth won't have night tests because we're already in the best time.

It's Adelaide and Hobart that might get night tests
Seems the most likely. Perth in the perfect timeslot for Eastern states already, Boxing Day and New Years Tests are sacrosanct, leaving Adelaide and Hobart.

What about Brisbane? Attendances might get a boost, seeing as it's played well before work/school finishes up.

Seems the most likely. Perth in the perfect timeslot for Eastern states already, Boxing Day and New Years Tests are sacrosanct, leaving Adelaide and Hobart.

What about Brisbane? Attendances might get a boost, seeing as it's played well before work/school finishes up.

Brisbane gets special status as the first match of the summer

Brisbane gets special status as the first match of the summer
I see. Despite the floating schedule it is a tradition.

Seems the obvious one to benefit from night Tests, given that it is indeed the first match of the summer.

There is no benefiting from night Tests.
I don't like the idea either, but if any Test was to 'benefit' from it, you'd have to think it would be Brisbane, in terms of attendance.

There is no benefiting from night Tests.

It's quite interesting.

Night tests do look like they'd have far more of an appeal to the Kiwis who want more public interest and want a bite at the Indian tv rights (New Zealand's not in the best time zone for Indian fans).

I wonder if we're rushing ahead with this because it's part of the bribe we offered the Kiwis during the Big 3 takeover of the ICC. That we'd take a risk of trying out the first night test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lather up with sunscreen and suck it up. If players can survive standing out in the field actually moving then I'm sure the average joe can survive just lounging on the grass banks.

Lather up with sunscreen and suck it up. If players can survive standing out in the field actually moving then I'm sure the average joe can survive just lounging on the grass banks.

And bring iced water to the games instead of sneaking in booze if it's going to be near 40 degrees.

Well, no, sport is about the sport.

Spectators come to watch the sport if they are interested. You don't sacrifice the sport to get more people coming.
Until nobody rocks up and pays to get in and then you can't afford to run the competition anymore.

Until nobody rocks up and pays to get in and then you can't afford to run the competition anymore.

Test cricket is predominantly a TV sport - people watching on TV are going to want the best quality sport. They don't have to worry about the temperature.

How would having a day night test at the WACA be 'sacrificing the sport'? They're not switching to rubber balls and metal bats.

You don't think there's a difference between playing during the day and playing during the night?

Test cricket is predominantly a TV sport - people watching on TV are going to want the best quality sport. They don't have to worry about the temperature.
They also struggle to watch Test cricket on TV when it's played 11-6 EDT and they work 9-5 for three days of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back