Test Rugby Wallabies Rugby World Cup discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/a...esnt-train-for-wallabies-20150721-giho53.html

Suggesting that this week Phipps, Foley, Toomua wil be the 9/10/12 combination, Pocock will come in at 8, Holmes will start at tighthead and Tomane will replace the injured Horne on the wing.

I think Cheika was always going to start Foley for the 2nd game so with Genia/Giteau injured, that makes sense. The other changes I think are good too.

15. Israel Folau 14. Adam Ashley-Cooper 13. Tevita Kuridrani 12. Matt Toomua 11. Joe Tomane 10. Bernard Foley 9. Nick Phipps 8. Ben McCalman 7. David Pocock 6. Scott Fardy 5. Rob Simmons 4. Will Skelton 3. Greg Holmes 2. Stephen Moore 1. James Slipper.

Reserves: 16. Tatafu Polota-Nau 17. Scott Sio 18. Sekope Kepu 19. Dean Mumm 20. Michael Hooper 21. Nic White 22. Quade Cooper 23. Kurtley Beale

I like that starting side (to quote DJ Khaled) A LOT. In terms of experimentation and rewarding players.

I like McCalman getting the next shot at 8 with Pocock to start and they'll get to experiment with Hooper off the bench this time. If McCalman doesn't prove to be as effective as Hooper when he comes on, I suspect we'll see a Hooper/Pocock starting combo in one of the next two tests. And hopefully Higginbotham has lost any trust that Cheika had in him.

Phipps should hold his starting halfback from now on, Foley needs a good showing to hold off Quade from taking his 10 jersey back.

I love Holmes starting, I have huge faith in him as a scrummager, although he desperately needs consistent support from Skelton who needs to hold up against a very good Pumas scrum. If Skelton folds, Holmes will have it tough as Kepu did at times last week (although I think Kepu did decently overall with that in mind).

I wouldn't take Horwill off the bench as a sign that he's out, he just wants to give Mumm a shot. If Mumm doesn't do much, Horwill will be back next week I suspect. It's a good sign that Skelton has the inside running by far to start alongside Simmons come the RWC.

Shows the depth of the side that we can change 7 in the starting line up and it look just as strong. Hopefully Foley and Toomua can work well in tandem. Sometimes last year I felt that they lacked a bit of spark when together.

Shows the depth of the side that we can change 7 in the starting line up and it look just as strong. Hopefully Foley and Toomua can work well in tandem. Sometimes last year I felt that they lacked a bit of spark when together.

Yeh I get that feeling too. Toomua can revert to a very basic, straight-running, short-ball kind of game that differs from Quade's expansive, looping spirals.

When Toomua came on last week he was able to get wider and look more dynamic but I chalked that up to the Boks being somewhat tired when he came on.

I'll be very interested to see how that works as he starts. Foley will run straight and I'll be keen to see how they work together. With Kuridrani, AAC, Folau and Tomane to work with, they have a bevy of hard-running, dynamic outside backs to feed.

Also keen to see how Kurtley is utilised when he's brought on. Fullback? Could be worthwhile giving Folau a rest in the second half, we know how much work he's had to do recently. Centre? That's where he's played for the Tahs predominately over the last few years. Wing? Nobody else can cover that spot on the bench so he might.

I expect our ball retention to be better with McCalman and Pocock in the side instead of Higginbotham and Hooper. Not that Hooper isn't good at supporting the ball runner, but McCalman won't be stuck out on a wing, he'll get around the rucks for sure and Pocock is supreme at defensive and offensive play at the breakdown.

Also keen to see how Kurtley is utilised when he's brought on. Fullback? Could be worthwhile giving Folau a rest in the second half, we know how much work he's had to do recently. Centre? That's where he's played for the Tahs predominately over the last few years. Wing? Nobody else can cover that spot on the bench so he might.

I think it makes sense to give him some time at fullback. We need a contingency plan if Folau were to get injured. Whoever's his backup has to have some game time in the position before the world cup.

I think it makes sense to give him some time at fullback. We need a contingency plan if Folau were to get injured. Whoever's his backup has to have some game time in the position before the world cup.

Surely Mitchell would be the 'backup' or is that just me there. I rate Drew as a fullback.

I expect our ball retention to be better with McCalman and Pocock in the side instead of Higginbotham and Hooper. Not that Hooper isn't good at supporting the ball runner, but McCalman won't be stuck out on a wing, he'll get around the rucks for sure and Pocock is supreme at defensive and offensive play at the breakdown.

I think it's a whole team issue - getting used to the shape of play and players being a step quicker in support of the ball carrier. We still got turned over a few times after Pocock came on against South Africa. It's not like you bring him on and all of a sudden the breakdown is perfect. I mean the Waratahs dominated the Brumbies at the breakdown this year both times they played for example.

I hope McCalman goes well. Get the feeling that Palu may be being rested and could feature in the Bledisloe matches.

I hope McCalman goes well. Get the feeling that Palu may be being rested and could feature in the Bledisloe matches.

It is official you have found the ONE instance where I'd rather play Dennis! If that fruitcake Palu plays I'm going to flip right out. hands like feet, lumbers around, does nothing. I was thrilled when he wasn't in the side for the first few matches.

Surely Mitchell would be the 'backup' or is that just me there. I rate Drew as a fullback.

Well Mitchell and Adam Ashley-Cooper would be the other options I think. But Beale has played a lot more games at fullback than those 2 - including many matches for the Wallabies.

Well Mitchell and Adam Ashley-Cooper would be the other options I think. But Beale has played a lot more games at fullback than those 2 - including many matches for the Wallabies.

Still don't rate Beale as a fullback. Actually think his best position is inside centre, he likes to run the ball and his kicking game is ordinary at the very best. I'd rather play AAK or Mitchell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he has a better kicking game than AAC without doubt, and I think his ability on counter attack is the best of the 3. His positioning at fullback is also decent because he's played so much there. Mitchell isn't weak in any of these areas though and is definitely stronger in the air so I suppose the closest we could get to Folau might be him.

Well he has a better kicking game than AAC without doubt, and I think his ability on counter attack is the best of the 3. His positioning at fullback is also decent because he's played so much there. Mitchell isn't weak in any of these areas though and is definitely stronger in the air so I suppose the closest we could get to Folau might be him.

Has Mitchell played fullback overseas much? I only have seen bits and pieces of him overseas. If he hasn't lost much speed he is a better option than Beale at fullback. Beale is prone to a brain explosion.

Has Mitchell played fullback overseas much? I only have seen bits and pieces of him overseas. If he hasn't lost much speed he is a better option than Beale at fullback. Beale is prone to a brain explosion.

I don't know. But Toulon have Leigh Halfpenny in their team so I doubt he's played there much.

I don't know. But Toulon have Leigh Halfpenny in their team so I doubt he's played there much.

Yep, knew Halfpenny was in the side, he always gets injured though, that is why I asked. Fair enough, we are both guessing. Still would rather Mitchell at fullback than waiting for Beale's brain explosions.

So Kane Douglas has got a release from Leinster and is expected to sign with Reds and the ARU very soon. That'll put him back into world cup contention. By all reports he didn't play well in Ireland and then missed the latter part of the season with a back injury. But hopefully he can get back to his form of last year because he could be a real asset - especially if we end up wanting to start Hooper and Pocock together.

So Kane Douglas has got a release from Leinster and is expected to sign with Reds and the ARU very soon. That'll put him back into world cup contention. By all reports he didn't play well in Ireland and then missed the latter part of the season with a back injury. But hopefully he can get back to his form of last year because he could be a real asset - especially if we end up wanting to start Hooper and Pocock together.

Fantastic news. He'll need to work his arse off, as you say, to get back to fitness/form suitable for Test match level (let alone for a RWC, should he make it) but if he can get to that peak level and be ready to play, he'll be a huge asset.

If we can start him alongside Simmons with Fardy at 6 for the RWC, Hooper and Pocock starting will be very viable and we'll have multiple aggressive bastards in the pack.

Can't be any worse than any of our locks, in fact I'd be playing him against the All Blacks. I like Skelton...but I hate him starting.

On Rugby HQ last night they showed that Rob Simmons was involved in the majority of rucks where we got turned over - just getting timing wrong or going in too high for the cleanout etc.

On Rugby HQ last night they showed that Rob Simmons was involved in the majority of rucks where we got turned over - just getting timing wrong or going in too high for the cleanout etc.

Just being bog ordinary. I am sorry but I am strugging to see where this love of Rob Simmons has come from. I have never seen a C Grader get so much praise.

Tough, closely contested game until the last ten minutes when the score blew out really because Argentina made two crucial mistakes. That lineout five metres out that went straight to Simmons and then the guy who stepped out after he had caught the ball from a kick gave us a great piggy back down the field. That ended it really.

Solid outing, particularly in defence, but woeful kicking for goal from Foley has to be rectified if there's even the most remote chance of beating NZ.

Holmes great at TH but Slipper with his shoulder struggled mightily. Sio was good in his time on and the last few scrums we were destructive.

Good game from Skelton who was quite active all game. Pocock was good as always. McCalman started well but faded a little. Moore strong as ever and Dean Mumm was just as surprisingly good as Horwill was off the bench last week. Where'd he pull that try from?!

Throw in Folau who was great too. He's just so destructive with the ball. But we all know that.

Not convinced by Quade atm who is going sideways a hell of a lot. Phipps made some dumb decisions but delivery was strong, Kuridrani needs more ball and I like Tomane getting the ball and attacking but he's questionable in defence to me. Doesn't look ad steady as Horne does by far.

Agree with all that.

I think Quade should either start at 10 or not be in the 23. I didn't think he was an effective 12. I hope Toomua is okay. He's getting into the 'few too many head knocks' category. So long as he's okay I'd start Toomua at 12 for the AB's with Giteau on the bench. If he needs some time off I'd go with Giteau at 12 and bring in Lealiifano.

Other than Quade I thought it was again the bench that was the difference. Especially our front row reserves, who were much, much stronger than their front row reserves. Bit surprising how big the difference was between the Argies 1st string and 2nd string actually. Their best were killing us. Argentina are picking a lot of very young players though, seems they're rebuilding at the moment and it'll pay off in a couple of years. They might struggle at the world cup though and I think both Tonga and Georgia will fancy their chances of an upset.

Dean Mumm was really good and Hooper and Beale also made a positive difference from the bench. I really hope both Pocock and Hooper start in the next game.

Yeh I'm with you on Quade not being a 12. It was peculiar that he was brought on instead of Beale to me, considering how often Beale has played at 12 recently.

I really hope Toomua is OK too. I really think he can take the 12 jersey for the RWC.

Hooper has been sighted for striking as Dean Mumm went over for his try. Looks pretty hard to justify, I imagine he'll get suspended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back