Ward Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't worry me so much now that we're seeing what a talent Macrae is, he was better than ward on saturday. I am more disappointed at the expansion clubs stockpiling all the KPF's (lynch, day, cameron, patton, tomlinson, dixon, boyd etc etc) at least one of them would have ended up at the kennel if it wasnt for expansion.

Can't believe people would take award back. He turned his back onus and chased the money. Sure it was a big offer but so what. Lots of players turned it down.

I tend to agree with this, as good as a player he is he made a decision to leave and not be a part of our future. No matter how much money he got, he walked out on the club. Like you said there are many many players who knock back offers. He may be a gun but I'm not on the "he had no choice, it was sooo much money" boat.

Last edited:

When a kid is offered the opportunity to set himself up for life in this uncertain environment, surely it is difficult to knock that chance back.
He might have surcomed to a career ending injury by now with a bit of bad luck, and had he stayed for a lot less, where might that have left him.

I was as disappointed as anybody that he went, but my major gripe personally was that he was not upfront about it.
Clearly his teammates hold no grudges, a I have seen him several times in the company of some of our boys. If our players are still friends, and apparently have no gripes with him over his defection, I really don't see why we as supporters should.
Had he left purely for ego, then I would probably feel different.

I love the old club loyalty attitude of guys like Chris Grant, Bob Murphy, Coons etc. But gee in modern football there is often little of that shown by clubs to players, so how the hell can we expect it the other way round ?

If I could have McRae or ward, I'd take McRae

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But id have ward over stringer...he just looks like a short KPP to me.

How much do u think u are going to beat Carlton by? I reckon 42

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is true he was offered $480K then it's not like he would have been on welfare. He would still have been set up very nicely. Would not want him to be part of the club again. He choose to leave then fine. Stay out.

Agree

And yet there was/is so much resentment towards Nathan Brown. There is no difference.

Brown left for less money than we offered! That is why he is disliked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep that's what I thought, Darc was out of contract and signed with a paycut I'm pretty sure
If you actually look back on it, Brown was in his prime, in our top 5 best players and instead of offering him a reward in the form of a pay rise. We cut his pay. That would seem a fair slap in the face.

Ward had shown potential, was nursed through a couple of years of injury (OP related) and indifferent form, then produces a decent year and is offered as much money as Lake was on to stay and he left for more as was his perogative. But as far as the Nathan Brown comparison goes....well...you can make your own mind up.

If you actually look back on it, Brown was in his prime, in our top 5 best players and instead of offering him a reward in the form of a pay rise. We cut his pay. That would seem a fair slap in the face.

Ward had shown potential, was nursed through a couple of years of injury (OP related) and indifferent form, then produces a decent year and is offered as much money as Lake was on to stay and he left for more as was his perogative. But as far as the Nathan Brown comparison goes....well...you can make your own mind up.
Yeah, but Brown wanted success and left us (who played well into September for many years after that) to join Richmond who were in the throes of Terry Wallace's five-year plan that didn't actually involve playing finals.

Yeah, but Brown wanted success and left us (who played well into September for many years after that) to join Richmond who were in the throes of Terry Wallace's five-year plan that didn't actually involve playing finals.
He left for the money. Even he admits that now. It's not like he was going to come out and just say it like Ward and Ablett basically did. He would have been crucified in those days.
And he was at Richmond before Wallace, his first year was under Frawley.
Believe me I have no love for Nathan Brown, last year during the filming of a Footy Show segment at the Whitten Oval I booed him mercilessly and told him to get off the ground EJ bled on (tongue was planted firmly in my cheek:D).

I just find it funny when people find reasons to hate Brown but give Ward a pass despite their situations being very similar. I actually think it shows how much more of a mercinary culture we have bred in football, even the supporters congratulate players for leaving.

He left for the money. Even he admits that now. It's not like he was going to come out and just say it like Ward and Ablett basically did. He would have been crucified in those days.
Believe me I have no love for Nathan Brown, last year during the filming of a Footy Show segment at the Whitten Oval I booed him mercilessly and told him to get off the ground EJ bled on (tongue was planted firmly in my cheek:D).

I just find it funny when people find reasons to hate Brown but give Ward a pass despite their situations being very similar. I actually think it shows how much more of a mercinary culture we have bred in football, even the supporters congratulate players for leaving.

I thought the general consensus was that Brown left to play "finals" instead of sticking around to help us rebuild

Yep this was exactly my point before, I just don't understand why people are forgiving of Ward. Are they still holding out hope he will come back? Like a boyfriend holding out hope his ex will come back? He's gone and I don't want him back.

He chose to leave the club so good luck to him but he is no longer a Bulldog. If you're not with us you against us, simple as that for me.

Yep this was exactly my point before, I just don't understand why people are forgiving of Ward. Are they still holding out hope he will come back? Like a boyfriend holding out hope his ex will come back? He's gone and I don't want him back.

He chose to leave the club so good luck to him but he is no longer a Bulldog. If you're not with us you against us, simple as that for me.
Threre was also no articles like this on Brown giving our supporters hope when he knew he was gone.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...wards-heart-lies/story-e6frexx0-1226076768377

It helps that we can direct some of the Ward anger towards the AFL & the inadequate compensation.
I also think Ward's pay rise was legitimately too good to refuse, whereas Brown's contract would have been in a similar ballpark to what he would have got staying.
To be honest I think the main reason is the respective character of the two guys in question, Ward genuinely looked like he played for the club & the jumper, where Browny always looked like he played for himself.

Yep. I completely agree with this sentiment & don't have any hope or even any real desire for him to come back to the club. Just saying
that if he decided he wanted to, I would be pretty forgiving pretty quickly.

Has any player that hasn't been pushed ever left to go and play for another club for less money?
Yeah Koby Stevens left for more opportunity. As did Dre Everitt and Josh Hill.
Lake left for a premiership.
It helps that we can direct some of the Ward anger towards the AFL & the inadequate compensation.
I also think Ward's pay rise was legitimately too good to refuse, whereas Brown's contract would have been in a similar ballpark to what he would have got staying.
To be honest I think the main reason is the respective character of the two guys in question, Ward genuinely looked like he played for the club & the jumper, where Browny always looked like he played for himself.
Isn't that more about style rather than substance?
Why make excuses for Ward but not for Brown? They both left for what they feel were greener pastures, no need to sanctify one and crucify the other. Ward is just another opposition player now. He could've been so much more. In a way I'm glad he chose them, as he'd have got a salary he didn't deserve at that point and we wouldn't have one of Stringer and Macrae, both of which I think will be special players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back