Streaming Warner Brothers Discovery in talks to merge with Paramount Global

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Pretty interesting development and, specifically from an entertainment perspective, it can open a lot of doors. Warner obviously wants to be a big player in the streaming wars and Max isn't quite cutting the mustard so I would assume Paramount Plus would become their main streaming platform if this comes to fruition. Imagine what could be possible with all of these properties under the one roof. The DCU with Transformers, Terminator and/or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles incorporated - just a few examples of what could be possible if this merger goes through. Star Trek is also a massive title that I'm sure Warner would like to get their hands on.

Thoughts?

It's odd that we started with a Streaming monopoly (Netflix), and then all these other services popped up to dilute the market. As they find out they can't make any money (because it costs a lot to make your own content), they all start merging until we will eventually return to streaming monopolies.

It's odd that we started with a Streaming monopoly (Netflix), and then all these other services popped up to dilute the market. As they find out they can't make any money (because it costs a lot to make your own content), they all start merging until we will eventually return to streaming monopolies.
Seems Warner want to become a genuine competitor in the streaming wars to compete with Netflix, Disney and Amazon. I think it's fair to say if they acquire Paramount that they'll have the IP to compete with the big boys. A big 4 looks likely at this stage.

If it happens does warner bros own channel 10 then?

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

If it happens does warner bros own channel 10 then?
Technically yes

But they'd look to either shut it down or sell it straight after a merger!
Also on the Australian front, would it mean Warner Brothers Movie World on the Gold Coast suddenly has many more titles to work with? I know Village Roadshow owns the theme park but I assume the licensing/branding opportunities would open up if this merger goes through. I know Disney did that when they acquired Star Wars and added a dedicated section to their Disneyland theme parks. Perhaps Movie World could do the same with franchises like Star Trek, Transformers or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back