Roast 6 from 17. Despite Momentum We are REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY s**t - Warning includes club criticisms

When will Matthew Nicks be sacked?

• Before the end of 2022

• End of 2022

• Middle of 2023

• End of 2023

• Middle of 2024

• End of his contract (2024)

• He will last beyond his current contract

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like you are remembering Rachele's debut year with seriously rose coloured glasses, or underestimating this year, or both. He started exceptionally well obviously. First 5 games were good, kicked 12 goals and averaged 15 disposals. From round 6 on he played another 8 games in which he never kicked more than 1 goal and never got more than 12 possessions. In other words, he faded hard due to a mix of fatigue, injury and form. Didn't play at all after round 16. His worst game this year is about as good as his best game last year after those first 5 rounds.

Have a look for yourself: Josh Rachele of the Adelaide Crows AFL Games Played Stats
and 2023: Josh Rachele of the Adelaide Crows AFL Games Played Stats

This year he's had good games as a small forward, had some midfield time, and as late as round 16 went into the midfield against North and had a 23 disposal, 7 tackle, 5 clearance game. Has had some issues kicking for goal and is fading at this point (and will probably be suspended) but he's been much better than 2022, as you'd expect for a 20 year old. He's absolutely improving. As with Murphy this is a completely separate question from whether he is playing well, or improving fast enough, or being used correctly, or whether he should be selected, or whatever. My point is simply that his 2023 has been better than his 2022.

We've had far more than two players who have had career best years, it's the majority of the sub-25 year old players who have actually been selected. This isn't surprising when you consider that those players are young (so each year are likely to improve with experience and physical development) and also that the team has improved notably from last year in terms of results. I'm not making any claims about the success of 'our development', that's pretty hard to judge. But you can easily see who has had a career best year.
Fair enough.

The others that you named…?

Keays kicking the ball out on the full instead of lacing out one of our forwards in a pivotal moment of the final quarter. This one passage of play which essentially cost us any chance of victory to me sums up the AFC. Any Joe Blow that has witnessed some of his set shot goal kicking knows he is mind ****ed but no let's back him in as best 22. These guys cost you games when you can least afford it. Brisbane knew it. Unfortunately we don't.
Yes that was inexcusable killed any momentum and was under little pressure showed why he is not A grade.

But what about Berry, Shoenberg, Himmelberg, Hately, Cook, Nankervis, Parnell, Newchurch, Gollant Hamill etc all languishing in the 2's
Not one guy in the 2's has developed enough to get a game in the A's all year
McHenry, Sholl ?
I hate this line of argument. It’s the same line that was used when Worrell was stuck in the 2’s (and still would be if Doedee didn’t do his knee).

There is plenty of talent in the 2’s, it’s just that the ******* coaches are fixated on those in the current 22.

Keays kicking the ball out on the full instead of lacing out one of our forwards in a pivotal moment of the final quarter. This one passage of play which essentially cost us any chance of victory to me sums up the AFC. Any Joe Blow that has witnessed some of his set shot goal kicking knows he is mind ****ed but no let's back him in as best 22. These guys cost you games when you can least afford it. Brisbane knew it. Unfortunately we don't.
They put him in the leadership group. It's just complete ignorance.

The Adelaide Footy club will never change. they will always be a club that lets their fans down. way too predictable Saturday night was. we have blown this season... we SHOULD be sitting on 12 wins right now. both Collingwood games and both GWS games are games we had.. yet stuffed it up.
since 1999 this club has done this, certain clubs just dont know how to prevail and be mentally tough etc.. took the dees 60 years to win a flag and buck the trend, took the Dogs 60 odd years and St kilda, well they are the worst of the lot and i am fearful the Adelaide footy club will always be a mediocre club on a premiership drought... we just don't draft the right kids, don't have the right people on board level and never have a tough coach in the coaches box that is quick on making moves mid game or getting it right on selection night.
Let's be honest, we aren't winning a flag or getting close to a GF any time soon.. we will still be waiting in a decade's time.. guarantee it! Its just who we are

Keays kicking the ball out on the full made my wife realise what I had been saying to her about Keays was right and shouldn't be playing, she would always say he tries hard

This is my major gripe and probably everyone on this board is sick of me reiterating it - but how the duck can we have played the lowest amount of players this season in a rebuild???

why have we not given game time to younger players to give them a taste and to show their skills?

why even bother going to the draft if we are already set in our best 22?

why do we continue to gift games to Murphy, McHenry and add to that our favourite son Rory?

why continue to name young guys as emergencies but have no intention to play them? Is that their token taste of AFL?

we have had some good moments in 2023 but geez we have made huge mistakes
The club thinks the rebuild is over.

We're in top up phase because we're contending, didn't you realise?

Lachlan Sholl makes me miss Rory Atkins

Any Gif’s floating around of the Keays kick?..
Afl Finger Wag GIF by Adelaide Crows

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were genuinely better players running around for Glenelg today than at least half a dozen of ours tonight. The investment of games into players that have no stand out attributes other than effort is appalling. Effort is a requisite for AFL footy, not an attribute. You look at guys like Worrell, Max, Peds etc. and its immediately apparent that what they have in there bag of tricks is capable of breaking/winning games. Its clear that we are past the rebuilding stage now and we've still got these total liabilities stealing games from far more talented players. This will come back to bite us.
Absolutely. To make this even worse, we have only really’ rebuilt’ the back and forward lines. Looks like we will be rebuilding the midfield later when the other areas are peaking . We are in danger of being in perpetual rebuild phase

I hate this line of argument. It’s the same line that was used when Worrell was stuck in the 2’s (and still would be if Doedee didn’t do his knee).

There is plenty of talent in the 2’s, it’s just that the ******* coaches are fixated on those in the current 22.
Nicks spent all last year hyping up the SANFL winning as proof the squad is developing well, which people used as proof he was doing a good job. Now we have a 9-4 record in the SANFL, just beat the league leaders but we're arguing we don't have anyone good enough to bring into the AFL side? It's a silly argument.

Nicks spent all last year hyping up the SANFL winning as proof the squad is developing well, which people used as proof he was doing a good job. Now we have a 9-4 record in the SANFL, just beat the league leaders but we're arguing we don't have anyone good enough to bring into the AFL side? It's a silly argument.

Not to mention that a majority of the time there are only about 15 AFL listed players in the Sanfl game which means a 3rd of the team are not good enough to make it at Sanfl level for other teams. The AFL listed players get the job done. Wait...sorry, all the AFL listed players are s**t and not deserving to be brought in at the expense of McHenry, Sholl, Murphy etc.

The Adelaide Footy club will never change. they will always be a club that lets their fans down. way too predictable Saturday night was. we have blown this season... we SHOULD be sitting on 12 wins right now. both Collingwood games and both GWS games are games we had.. yet stuffed it up.
since 1999 this club has done this, certain clubs just dont know how to prevail and be mentally tough etc.. took the dees 60 years to win a flag and buck the trend, took the Dogs 60 odd years and St kilda, well they are the worst of the lot and i am fearful the Adelaide footy club will always be a mediocre club on a premiership drought... we just don't draft the right kids, don't have the right people on board level and never have a tough coach in the coaches box that is quick on making moves mid game or getting it right on selection night.
Let's be honest, we aren't winning a flag or getting close to a GF any time soon.. we will still be waiting in a decade's time.. guarantee it! Its just who we are

and our 2 flags were masterminded by a bloke who's philosophies and actions couldn't be any different to what has been ingrained in our club throughout the last 20 odd years.

Back