darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Stevenage
Ok, I'm sure most of you are aware of the hugely popular FM series by Sports Interactive. I dare say I've thoroughly enjoyed those games, even if at times I've wanted to punch the screen in frustration.

But, I was thinking, is there not a huge untapped market out there for similar management sims with other sports? Does a Rugby management sim even exist? What about Cricket? How about Motorsport? (Ok, so yeah, there have been F1 management sims, but I've found those to be pretty poor)

I'd love for SI to have a go at a deep, immersive management sim about a different sport- in particular a motorsport one but I'd be open to other catagories. What say you fellow gamers?

They had a go at hockey and baseball - didn't turn out well.

International Cricket Captain is good, though it breaks down a couple of decades in (the previous version anyway; haven't played the new one).

Cricket Coach has a bigger world but a terrible interface.

Kevin Sheedy AFL Coach 2002. This game was funny.

There's a pro cycling manager one that isn't bad too.

Even a Tennis Manager game from the same guys who did Tennis Elbow

I used to love International Cricket Captain.. is that still going around????

Yeah, I got the app which is on the iphone/ipad now.

Theres manager type games for most sports.

Ive Played international cricket captain and used to love it, Then I tried Football manager 2012 after last playing football manager 98.
Since playing Football manager all other management games are crap, its all I play now and I cant stand soccer.

Also heard Outofthepark baseball is a good manager game.

Theres also some for basketball, Cycling, wrestling, boxing and there is an F1 manager game also but ive never tried it http://igpmanager.com/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theres manager type games for most sports.

Ive Played international cricket captain and used to love it, Then I tried Football manager 2012 after last playing football manager 98.
Since playing Football manager all other management games are crap, its all I play now and I cant stand soccer.

Also heard Outofthepark baseball is a good manager game.

Theres also some for basketball, Cycling, wrestling, boxing and there is an F1 manager game also but ive never tried it http://igpmanager.com/

That is a HUGE jump! The older FMs (i.e pre late 90's and early 00's didn't even have a graphics match engine from memory, they were just text commentary during the games).

Ok, I'm sure most of you are aware of the hugely popular FM series by Sports Interactive. I dare say I've thoroughly enjoyed those games, even if at times I've wanted to punch the screen in frustration.

But, I was thinking, is there not a huge untapped market out there for similar management sims with other sports? Does a Rugby management sim even exist? What about Cricket? How about Motorsport? (Ok, so yeah, there have been F1 management sims, but I've found those to be pretty poor)

I'd love for SI to have a go at a deep, immersive management sim about a different sport- in particular a motorsport one but I'd be open to other catagories. What say you fellow gamers?

There is quite a few management games out there - as a big fan of Football manager myself, I think a big reason it's successful is due to its realism and huge database of players - Sports Interactive employ scouts around the world to compile their data for players, coaches and staff included in every game. Because of that, I'm not sure if they could just make the jump into another sport where they may not have the knowledge or resources available to make an equally successful and addictive sim.

It would be awesome though if they could do an AFL game - I believe there is one on the market called premiership coach? which is quite good but obviously doesn't have the same scope, production values and overall quality of such a franchise like football manager.

I've played formula 1 managers, wrestling managers as well as tried demos for baseball and ice hockey (both done by SI) and there are some good sims out there but I haven't found one that does it as well as FM for another sport.

For another

I wish someone would focus on developing a Football Manager-style game for AFL. Not only because I find that side of things more interesting, but it seems like the main stumbling block with the AFL games in the past is the actual gameplay and getting it right, and that issue would be eliminated with a management-based game. 'Premiership Coach' was decent, but not detailed enough IMO.

I wish someone would focus on developing a Football Manager-style game for AFL. Not only because I find that side of things more interesting, but it seems like the main stumbling block with the AFL games in the past is the actual gameplay and getting it right, and that issue would be eliminated with a management-based game. 'Premiership Coach' was decent, but not detailed enough IMO.

Never played Premiership Coach myself but from what I'd heard, it was quite comprehensive? (Drafts, Brownlow Medal count, the 2 expansion teams etc?)

I guess it probably comes down to the market - game developers will obviously only make games if they think they can make a profit on it (unless you got a bunch of footy fanatics who are also skilled developers to make it as a sort of hobby?).

Does anyone know how well Premiership Coach sold? If it did better than expected, they might consider doing a new version some time down the track?

Premiership Coach was what you can realistically expect.

FM started out very basic, and over the years they have been able to add features and enhance the components already in the game. If there was an AFL version, it would start out like Premiership Coach and slowly add more and more things, like player personalities, more playable leagues etc. The much smaller market and thus budget also hampers it's ability to grow into such a comprehensive game as FM.

I went to SI last winter and met the guys (I do the research for Victory so had an 'in'). They are very passionate about all sports. I took over a Richmond jumper and a footy which they loved. I even got a photo emailed this morning because one of the guys has taken up footy with a local club there. They are very passionate sports people.

In saying that, as far as I know they have no interest in expanding beyond soccer. Why? Economics. Compared to the soccer market which other sports could compete? I would argue the only sport worth tackling for them is American Football. The Madden series has a huge market share and although different types of games is a good indicator of potential market share.

Even on their own forums people have asked for other sports but they are happy with soccer and they win awards with soccer so I feel they will be a big fish in a small pond for a little while yet.

http://community.sigames.com/showth...u-like-to-see-from-SI?highlight=rugby+manager
http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/52673-Rugby-Manager?highlight=rugby+manager
http://community.sigames.com/showth...i-m-begging-for-it...?highlight=rugby+manager

I went to SI last winter and met the guys (I do the research for Victory so had an 'in'). They are very passionate about all sports. I took over a Richmond jumper and a footy which they loved. I even got a photo emailed this morning because one of the guys has taken up footy with a local club there. They are very passionate sports people.

In saying that, as far as I know they have no interest in expanding beyond soccer. Why? Economics. Compared to the soccer market which other sports could compete? I would argue the only sport worth tackling for them is American Football. The Madden series has a huge market share and although different types of games is a good indicator of potential market share.

Even on their own forums people have asked for other sports but they are happy with soccer and they win awards with soccer so I feel they will be a big fish in a small pond for a little while yet.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/385692-POLL-What-manager-game-would-you-like-to-see-from-SI?highlight=rugby manager
http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/52673-Rugby-Manager?highlight=rugby manager
http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/44618-Please...i-m-begging-for-it...?highlight=rugby manager

That's awesome mate! Are you in the game as a scout or anything like that? (The database is over 300k from memory).

Good to see you also promoting the game to them using the best team the league has to offer :D:thumbsu:

That's awesome mate! Are you in the game as a scout or anything like that? (The database is over 300k from memory).

Good to see you also promoting the game to them using the best team the league has to offer :D:thumbsu:

I'm listed in the credits.

I tried to recruit them as Tigers but one left me disappointed when he started to watch Collingwood. Can't win them all I guess

I'm listed in the credits.

I tried to recruit them as Tigers but one left me disappointed when he started to watch Collingwood. Can't win them all I guess

If I can ask mate, how often do you need to provide reports to SI as part of your research?

From year to year, you normally don't see huge changes in the database (so I was sort of curious as to how often SI might update player stats, behaviours, potential etc?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back