Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on what your goals are, but in short not 100% necessary but definitely recommended and to get optimum results have a post work out meal.

Any reason this is your current set up? Can you eat a smaller pre work out meal and then have "room" in your stomach for a post work out meal.
Nah, no reason. I know you need to eat more calories than you burn, so I guess I had the mindset of eating a bigger portion preworkout, but then just eventuated in me not being hungry post workout. But I'll probably just eat a smaller portion then eat again afterwards, thanks.

Nah, no reason. I know you need to eat more calories than you burn, so I guess I had the mindset of eating a bigger portion preworkout, but then just eventuated in me not being hungry post workout. But I'll probably just eat a smaller portion then eat again afterwards, thanks.

Everyone is different, i know i don't like training on a full stomach, generally 2 hours before working out i eat some fruit and a protein shake. My biggest meal of the day is always post work out. During the week i work out between 5pm-7pm and have dinner as post work out and my biggest meal so works out well.

That's a 1RM 90kg, I'm stuck on getting to 2 at 90kg at the moment. I was doing 5x5 reps at 85kg then seeing my 1RM. I've switched last week (after two weeks off away for holidays) to now going to try waves (2 waves of 3 sets) of 2 / 4 / 6 reps and see how that goes. Aim for the year is to get the 1RM to 120kg. I'm happy with 90kg ATM considering still a skinny bastard at 73kg at 6'1.
Some progress if slowly. Finally past the 90kg barrier. Knocked out 2 x 90kg the last couple of weeks and managed to get the 2 x 92.5kg on the second wave (2x90, 4x85, 6x80, 2x92.5, 4x87.5, 6x 82.5, 3 minute rests, tonights aim), only 3 reps the last 2 sets, but first time managed to get 92.5kg front squatted. Though the second rep looked ugly, I'll take it. Gives hope for 100kg mid-year and 110kg end of year as possible.

are you doing your waves 2/4/6? they're meant o be the other way

wave 1
6 x 80%
4 x 82.5%
2 x 85%

wave 2
6 x 82.5%
4 x 85%
2 x 87.5%

etc

before looking at 120 look at reaching 100 - at 90 kgs you need to increase 35% to reach 120, a fair way off...so what do you need to do to break 100? and moving forwards will you need to lift 100 just once or repeatedly?

I got this particular wave set up from:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...aining_performance/the_wave_loading_manifesto

The results have been ok so far, took my ego in hand and started back at 80, 75, 70, 82.5, 77.5, 72.5 and having 1 - 2 weeks between hitting all reps for the six sets and going up. Expect to hit the last few missing reps from the last two sets next week then the week after start at 92.5.

before looking at 120 look at reaching 100 - at 90 kgs you need to increase 35% to reach 120, a fair way off...so what do you need to do to break 100? and moving forwards will you need to lift 100 just once or repeatedly?
110kg the aim for the end of the year, though 120 eventually would be good - expect it to take more than a year to hit that, not in a rush. When I initially hit a 100 would be looking to be able to do 2 reps at it. It's not for a particular sport, although the carry over for being able to sprint faster is nice, so not looking to do high reps (8+ etc.). Although I want some size, it's more the sprinter / AFL player look and wanting some more speed, so I don't go too high on reps for legs, even on my lower body hypertrophy day (6- 10 reps, rather than going up to 12 - 15).

s**t that's an old article, ian king was 1 of the first writers for t-nation back in the early 2000's...

try some sub maximal lifting where you do most of your work in the 70 - 80% range with about 10% of it in the 80 - 92.5% range...you do a lot more volume and thus practice of the lift increasing neural efficiency which is what strength is all about...all sets are at least 2 reps away from failure and the sessions should be easy to moderate at the most

when training for strength you should NEVER miss a rep...NEVER EVER

for a 120kg max lift that would put 100kgs at about 82.5% which equates to about 6 reps at 100kgs...for 110kgs, 100kgs is 91% equating to about 3 reps at 100

so as you can see 2 x 100 won't cut it - just dome food for thought to see how progression could look moving forwards
I got this particular wave set up from:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...aining_performance/the_wave_loading_manifesto

The results have been ok so far, took my ego in hand and started back at 80, 75, 70, 82.5, 77.5, 72.5 and having 1 - 2 weeks between hitting all reps for the six sets and going up. Expect to hit the last few missing reps from the last two sets next week then the week after start at 92.5.

110kg the aim for the end of the year, though 120 eventually would be good - expect it to take more than a year to hit that, not in a rush. When I initially hit a 100 would be looking to be able to do 2 reps at it. It's not for a particular sport, although the carry over for being able to sprint faster is nice, so not looking to do high reps (8+ etc.). Although I want some size, it's more the sprinter / AFL player look and wanting some more speed, so I don't go too high on reps for legs, even on my lower body hypertrophy day (6- 10 reps, rather than going up to 12 - 15).

For you guys that are hitting big squat numbers >100 what is your vertical jump like? Was wondering if I should focus a lot on getting my squat up

is your goal vertical leap? then squat and get it to 1.5 x bw at a minimum...and don't forget to jump as well, squatting on its own won't do much

at my strongest i can scape the ring with a running 2 foot jump at 168cms and 35yrs old which outs me at 88cms...normally i'm probably about 4 - 5" off the rim but haven't tried for about a year now

wave 1
6 x 80%
4 x 82.5%
2 x 85%

wave 2
6 x 82.5%
4 x 85%
2 x 87.5%
Ok, so based a 92.5 2 RPM, that's a 95kg 1 RPM.
So I'd start with (smallest weights 1.25kg, rounding down if not exact):
wave 1
6 x 75kg
4 x 77.5kg
2 x 80kg

Wave 2
6 x 77.5kg
4 x 80kg
2 x 82.5kg

What do I do if I hit all the reps? Increase all weights by 2.5 kg or say my 1 RPM has gone up by that much and re-calculate on the percentages? You wouldn't do a 1 RPM attempt every week I assume to get a new baseline.

is your goal vertical leap? then squat and get it to 1.5 x bw at a minimum...and don't forget to jump as well, squatting on its own won't do much

at my strongest i can scape the ring with a running 2 foot jump at 168cms and 35yrs old which outs me at 88cms...normally i'm probably about 4 - 5" off the rim but haven't tried for about a year now
I have been doing plyometrics for a year and half but have hit a peak I believe. I think I'm a momentum jumper (better of one leg) and if I start training for power it will lower it until my squat numbers are up

wave 1
6 x 75kg
4 x 77.5kg
2 x 80kg

Wave 2
6 x 77.5kg
4 x 80kg
2 x 82.5kg

What do I do if I hit all the reps? Increase all weights by 2.5 kg or say my 1 RPM has gone up by that much and re-calculate on the percentages? You wouldn't do a 1 RPM attempt every week I assume to get a new baseline.

Without stealing cptkirk's thunder, i'd say do what you feel comfortable with. If you hit your reps then increase the weight as long you can still hit good form, or do an extra rep or two at the same weight which you may feel more comfortable doing and maintain good form.

On a side note, a general question to everyone out there. When you are stuck between weight and reps. What is your method to break through?
For example say you are consistently just putting out 3 x 8 @ 90kg on the bench press. Do you up the weight by 2.5kg-5kg with the same reps of maybe 1 less rep or do you try and do as many reps as possible for 3 sets at the same weight? or Would change the weight and reps completely.

wave 1
6 x 75kg
4 x 77.5kg
2 x 80kg

Wave 2
6 x 77.5kg
4 x 80kg
2 x 82.5kg

i would stop doing the waves actually i'm not a big fan of them really...they're meant to work by potentiating the next wave but it's not that easy

if you're not in a hurry then work up slowly looking for 2.5 - 5kgs increases per month...over 6 months your at 100kgs comfortably and it will be a slow build up which is strength that "stays"

jim wendlers 531 might be right up your alley

NOTE - all %'s are based off 90% of your max

week 1 - 3 x 5 @ 65/75/855 w/ last set being for max reps set but stay 3 reps short of failure
week 2 - 3 x 3 @ 70/80/90% w/ last set being for max reps but stay 2 reps short of failure
week 3 - 3 x 5/3/1 @ 75/85/95% w last set being for max reps but stay 1 rep short of failure
week 4 - 3 x 5 @ 40/50/60%

3 - 4 cycles of that should get you to 100 pretty easily and beyond

the most importnat part of this is the max reps set and abide by the staying away from failure rule

I have been doing plyometrics for a year and half but have hit a peak I believe. I think I'm a momentum jumper (better of one leg) and if I start training for power it will lower it until my squat numbers are up

if you're a single leg jumper then your elastic dominant (plyo) so yeah hit the wt room for squat strength (front or back)...where you at now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without stealing cptkirk's thunder, i'd say do what you feel comfortable with. If you hit your reps then increase the weight as long you can still hit good form, or do an extra rep or two at the same weight which you may feel more comfortable doing and maintain good form.

On a side note, a general question to everyone out there. When you are stuck between weight and reps. What is your method to break through?
For example say you are consistently just putting out 3 x 8 @ 90kg on the bench press. Do you up the weight by 2.5kg-5kg with the same reps of maybe 1 less rep or do you try and do as many reps as possible for 3 sets at the same weight? or Would change the weight and reps completely.

many ways to go about this so here's a few:

1 - once you stall start back at light wt again and work up...it's pretty much a sign you're on the wedge of overtraining and beating a dead horse will make you go backwards so drop the wt back which gives the nervous system some recovery and work back up again hopefuly working back up to a heavier top end wt the next time and so on

2 - say you're aiming for 6 reps at 80kgs an you miss it only getting 4 or 5, next week do a heavier wt for less reps then the week after that try the 80 x 6 again...i did this accidentally for chin ups last last year and it worked wonders but i haven't done it anything else

3 - do the opposite of what you did for your next phase so if you did a a volume based program then move to an intensity based program...unfortunately most blokes are in the middle and stay there

4 - determine why you;re actually failing (fatigue, technique, weak point muscles, weak range of motion etc and work that hard...only as strong as you;re weakest link sort of thing

i would stop doing the waves actually i'm not a big fan of them really...they're meant to work by potentiating the next wave but it's not that easy

if you're not in a hurry then work up slowly looking for 2.5 - 5kgs increases per month...over 6 months your at 100kgs comfortably and it will be a slow build up which is strength that "stays"

jim wendlers 531 might be right up your alley
I've looked at 5/3/1 previously, but haven't tried it. I'm not on a time frame for a sporting season and not ego chasing at the gym trying to impress the girlz lifting heavy, so will look at the details closely when I get home and probably use as the basis for my lower body strength day.

Hey all, Just a quick question, do any of you on here do fullbody routines? And how often per week? I have been doing them for a while now (years on & off, just got back into it more last year and this year) I am currnetly doing 3 days a week but wondering if I would get better results going back to twice a week, more recovery etc.
At the moment my routines are..
5x5 Bench (95kg)
5x5 Squats (70kg, a little lower than I'd like but my knees are pretty s**t so I have to be careful)
5x5 Dumbell shoulder press (20kg, same as above, starting lower, dodgy shoulders)
5x5 dumbell curls (20kg)
5x5 Lat raise (20kg)

Now usually, well recently anyway I have been starting with a weight doing a week of 5x5, then the next week 6x5, then 7 then 8. After that I up the weight and start the cycle again, seems to have been working ok but I'm just wondering if I am better off doing this type of routine 3 times a week, or 2, or maybe cut it back to 3 sets, 3 times a week and throw in some bodyweight exercises at the end of each workout, push ups, dips chin ups etc. My main goals are just to build a little more muscle and drop a bit of fat, obviously diet etc is important but I'm more worried about getting the routines right first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Holy s**t!!! no more armwrestling for me. This is scary s**t. I'd rather keep lifting thanks.

attachment.php

Lots uproar about kettlebell training. Good for fat loss, cardio work, core stability and a bit of muscle training. Anyone jumping on the craze? Thoughts?

A few like to cross both strength and cardio training - "crossfit".

Not a fan myself, prefer to do them separately. Either separate part of a day (morning/evening) or different day altogether.

In saying that though... I push myself fairly hard so if you like to leave some in the tank, go for gold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back