Mass Weight Training: Building Muscle - A Tribute to Kong

Remove this Banner Ad

My dips used to be horrible. In fact when I first started lifting, I couldn't even do one. Good to see you keep at it, every time I cycle them back into my routine I find a noticeable difference.

a difference in the chest or triceps or both?

My dips used to be horrible. In fact when I first started lifting, I couldn't even do one. Good to see you keep at it, every time I cycle them back into my routine I find a noticeable difference.

When I had them after the benching I could barely get to 3. I'm still only up to about 5 now, and I wouldn't exactly call them full ROM yet either.

Had a push day yesterday and when I tried to finish off the day with another set I collapsed in the middle of the first rep, lol.

When I had them after the benching I could barely get to 3. I'm still only up to about 5 now, and I wouldn't exactly call them full ROM yet either.

Had a push day yesterday and when I tried to finish off the day with another set I collapsed in the middle of the first rep, lol.

I'd say it's pointless doing another set at the end of your workout. You've fully exhausted your muscles already, it's not achieving anything.

a difference in the chest or triceps or both?

Triceps. I used to have a persistent problem doing dips, I'd get a pretty bad pain across my clavicles. Did some research and concluded that it's a result of my upper pectoral not being able to support me properly doing dips. So I stopped and really focused on developing my chest for a while. Went back to doing dips, the pain is gone and my triceps are feeling fantastic!

How does three forms of BP go in one session? That's heavy, man. Can you split into 'Push 2'?

The DB presses I really focus on squeezing the pecs rather than moving heavy weight, so it's not as taxing as the BB press.

Haven't had any problems squeezing out the CGBP by the end of the session yet, again I go much lighter and really focus on squeezing with my tri's.

I'd say it's pointless doing another set at the end of your workout. You've fully exhausted your muscles already, it's not achieving anything.

I had thought about that, and judging from my recent failure the evidence does seem to suggest it's a waste of time.

I thought about moving reverse curls into that slot to give me space to work calves every second day for a while (they need it), but that would mean doing bicep curls and rev curls on consecutive days.

What are people's opinions on that? Are reverse curls forearm dominant enough for that to work or would that be overloading biceps?

Are you training at home, esti? I can't seem to find one exercise that utilizes cables? I find cables to be great for resistance training.

What's your goal? Lots of volume and not much room for strength gains outside of deads and squats.

Doing more dips at the end of your session won't help in gaining strength for that exercise.

Have you tried splitting the pull up and chin ups up? Place something in between? I tend to do most things like that. Do side laterals, then throw rear delts in between before doing front raises. Or going from bench to flyes and back to mix up the motions. I find I'm able to lift more and with better form doing that.

- Was deadlifting twice a week but once I hit a heavy enough weight (by my weakling standards) it started getting a bit draining (mentally mostly), so switched to once per cycle

Same with me when doing 5-6 days a week deadlifting twice a week was super tough. I've decided next time instead of deadlifting twice a week, one session will be your stock standard dead lift the next session in the same week will be lighter stiff legged deadlifts. Although ive never had serious hamstring injuries, i can just touch my toes so figured this should help a bit.

Are you training at home, esti? I can't seem to find one exercise that utilizes cables? I find cables to be great for resistance training.

Yeah home gymer so I've only got access to free weights.

What's your goal? Lots of volume and not much room for strength gains outside of deads and squats.

Purely vanity (though a long way to go yet before I've got anything to be proud of), any strength gains is just a bonus.

Have you tried splitting the pull up and chin ups up? Place something in between? I tend to do most things like that. Do side laterals, then throw rear delts in between before doing front raises. Or going from bench to flyes and back to mix up the motions. I find I'm able to lift more and with better form doing that.

I was trying to get them done early in the routine because I also suck at them (though not nearly as badly as dips) but I'll experiment with separating them and see if that helps.

Been thinking about it and decided to drop the BB benching and BB shoulder presses down to sets of 5 as well. Try get a bit more of a mix between strength building and hypertrophy.

Might have a break over the Xmas period though, too much drinking and eating to be done. I'll call it a deload week. ;)

Then I can start again in the new year like a typical NY resolutioner - except I won't be getting in everyone's way while I try turn bicep curls into a full body workout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back