Welcome Stefan Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Still no rush with Lisle, it would be good to see him and Longer split the season between them, playing about 10-12 games each. Martin shifting from ruck to forward where needed. I guess if injuries are good, it means we dont' need to rush Longer too much, and i'm sure this was a focus with getting Martin in. We won't want to use Longer before we want to. With Hudson gone, Longer could play as the #1 ruck in the 2nds next year, which would be a nice step up in his development, even if he doesn't get many senior games. Taking that #1 mantle will be great experience for him.

TBH, i think if Ace can't cement his spot as 3rd tall, i think we could play Brown, Lisle and Martin as our 3 talls. Martin could do some damage with his size on a 3rd defender. Is athletic enough to get around the ground as well. Allows him to set up a kick behind the ball when he is in the ruck as well and rest a bit. It's a good problem for the coaching staff to have to work out.

I like the trade for 2 reasons:

1. We have a genuine back up ruckman who has a fair bit of footy in him. He replaces to some extent what we lost with Clark's departure and the non-development/trade of Wood. Not saying Martin is of Clark's calibre but he's adequate - most clubs now are looking to have an "adequate" reserve ruck. We had one last year who struggled with the length of the season. Now we have one who should be at his physical peak.

2. He gives us another option up forward and in defence. It remains to be seen if he's much chop in those roles but he is an option - I think that's all you can ask for when you trade loose change for a player.

This isn't likely to be a trade that has a transformative effect on our side, like I believe Tippett would have. But, from a squad perspective, he adds something that using pick 53/73 would not have. The same could not necessarily be said if we'd given up pick 33, although I believe the "overs" that represented was substantially exaggerated by some.

I'm not super excited about what Martin could offer our side. But, as a squad, we're better off for this trade and I think that's all you can ask.

I like the trade for 2 reasons:

1. We have a genuine back up ruckman who has a fair bit of footy in him. He replaces to some extent what we lost with Clark's departure and the non-development/trade of Wood. Not saying Martin is of Clark's calibre but he's adequate - most clubs now are looking to have an "adequate" reserve ruck. We had one last year who struggled with the length of the season. Now we have one who should be at his physical peak.

2. He gives us another option up forward and in defence. It remains to be seen if he's much chop in those roles but he is an option - I think that's all you can ask for when you trade loose change for a player.

This isn't likely to be a trade that has a transformative effect on our side, like I believe Tippett would have. But, from a squad perspective, he adds something that using pick 53/73 would not have. The same could not necessarily be said if we'd given up pick 33, although I believe the "overs" that represented was substantially exaggerated by some.

I'm not super excited about what Martin could offer our side. But, as a squad, we're better off for this trade and I think that's all you can ask.

Pretty much the point i've been going on about for awhile. He has been traded in essentially to be a depth player. His age, size and versatility adds general depth to nearly every part of the ground, and that's what we needed. We didn't need to bring in a best 22 ruck, we needed someone who can help out if we need them. I also would have been happy to pay 33 for a player that is going to add that kind of flexibility and depth to our team. He probably isn't worth 33 on talent, but he is worth pick 33 to our side because of the depth he adds to us. He wont' be a world beater in any position he probably plays, but he is going to do a much better job than using those picks in the draft.

I also don't see him having a big effect on the side, he is there to plug holes if they pop up. If he can help us maintain our structures if we get a few injuries, he is well worth what we paid, and probably more. There was a few times this year when we got comfortable with our game plan and strucutres and played some good footy for a period, then we would get an injury or a change in position and it would take a little bit for the team to re settle. A player like Martin has value in what he brings to the team depth and flexibility, his value isn't in his own personal form or talent.

So maybe what happened is that Neeld had a bit of a D and M with the playing group, and said something about a change in culture and approach, that they were going to be going in a particualr direction, and that he would be asking them to commit to it, and that if they didn't want to be a part of it, there was the door.

And a group of players stood up and said "Alright, well then we'll see you later."

And here we are.

Very happy with this. Thought Martin was great in 2011 and I was shocked to see we managed to snag him so cheaply.

Just a smart trade - even if he doesn't play a heap of games.

Also when I think of the name Stefan, I think 'upper class', 'hair gel', 'bruise free', 'skiing'. Should call him Doc instead.

is that Jeffery Rush at :21

Great pick up there Balony! I would back that in 100%
Sorry guys, not Rush.
I recall that actor on a few ads and many TV bit parts through the 80s & early 90s (although not a name).
Also Rush would have only been in his early 30's when that ad came out.
Can see a resemblance though. (sorta).:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i must be the only one who isn't happy about this, lisle might get caught in the shuffle in all of this.

i must be the only one who isn't happy about this, lisle might get caught in the shuffle in all of this.

Competition for spots is good, and Browny hasn't got a lot of time left you'd have to think.

I'd say that Lisle is far more forward/ruck while it's vice-versa for Martin.

If Ace/Lisle etc don't come along as we'd hope and Martin is performing well then it's good to have the options.

Very interesting that in this thread: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/stefan-martin.971828/
Melbourne supporters and other supporters were generally agreed that he was worth a first rounder, or a second no later then the late 30s. He could very well be a great pickup, especially if Burger (Knock on wood) has injury issues or restrictions due to his achilies this year.

Yeah I know a Melbourne supporter who was fuming at the trade. I like to refer to Melbourne as pushlvers

For some reason I am thinking we may have another Raines on our hands.

Interesting to see what role he plays for us,but I think just like Raines, he is going to surprise a few people.

Must concurred wholeheartedly.

As someone who did posted that Raines would eventually surprise and be an asset.
I do see a similar confidence type thing with Martin.
Raines was initiately trying too hard to prove criticism wrong.
But know I see a much more relaxed and confident player.

If Martin can take a page from Raines playbook and back his ability, play his role,
he might just have a good future at the lions too!

It's good to have another KPP in the mid 20 age group, was getting concerned with the age of our proven KPP's and the lack of form/experience of the younger one's. With a bit of rookie success with a KPP (we're due) like Clarke or Michael and we might actually have some depth in all positions this season.

Staker and Martin in the same team will allow for great game day tactics that could win us the match if things turn sour. Both are serviceable utilities with height and pace and by the looks of it both could play tall or small. They could both be used in defence forward ruck or even as midfielders. Allows Lester more time to develop his midfield game in the Magoos.

- "The plan is to play that ruck/forward position, so hopefully I can learn a few things off guys like Jonathan Brown and Matty Leuenberger"
No real surprise here, great to see Martin excited to set it up. Awesome to note he's mates with Moloney and pulled a Tippett by suddenly finding he has family in Brissy. :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back