Bumped Welcome to Collingwood, Darcy Moore (new posts start at #761)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see why he wouldn't be in the leadership group.
Sure he was the captain of the Chargers and led them to the flag.
But he was also the school captain at Carey.
An elite private school and one has a better balance in terms of the other schools such as Scotch, MGS, Xavier, St. Kevin's and the like because Carey is co-ed.
Luke Ball basically walked into the leadership team at St. Kilda and I rate him as having a poorer CV than Darcy when he left Xavier.
Carey is tier 2 compared to the other private schools you mentioned. You have no idea how many carey kids move to my school every year. its outrageous

Carey is tier 2 compared to the other private schools you mentioned. You have no idea how many carey kids move to my school every year. its outrageous

At the same time I'm not sure we should be using schools as a basis for being in the leadership group, no matter the school :rolleyes:

SugarCoat's statement is absolutely absurd.

I don't see why he wouldn't be in the leadership group.
Sure he was the captain of the Chargers and led them to the flag.
But he was also the school captain at Carey.
An elite private school and one has a better balance in terms of the other schools such as Scotch, MGS, Xavier, St. Kevin's and the like because Carey is co-ed.
Luke Ball basically walked into the leadership team at St. Kilda and I rate him as having a poorer CV than Darcy when he left Xavier.

Luke Ball wasn't in the leadership group at St Kilda in his first year.

Why would people rush to try to get him in? What is the downside in letting him develop and still be a leader outside the leadership group?

I wouldn't being putting him in the leadership group.
Smacks of teacher's pet syndrome to me.
If all the players insisted, (doubtful) then he may be a chance.
Even then you'd probably find he would decline.

Luke Ball wasn't in the leadership group at St Kilda in his first year.

Why would people rush to try to get him in? What is the downside in letting him develop and still be a leader outside the leadership group?

This. How can you be a leader of your team in the AFL when you have never played in the AFL. The kid has to prove he is good enough to get into the team first.

How easy do we want to make it for these kids? What kind of message do we want to send to our middle agers who have never been in the leadership group, but consider themselves leaders? Worst.Suggestion.Ever.

He can learn leadership outside being in the leadership group. Shouldn't be in it in the 1styearno matter how impressive he comes across. Good for him to earn his stripes, be better for it

The kid plays desperate, Has abit of Gavin brown in him

The kid could be doing this with us in the future

Why would we put any extra pressure on the kid by putting him in the leadership group? Players should have at least a couple of solid years at senior level so that any extra duties like leadership are not a burden.

Giving the captaincy to the two young melbourne players recently was a great idea wasn't it? Now Roos sensibly gave it to an older experienced head.

Even if the other players like listening to him talk and would be happy for him to be in a leadership role. There is far more potential for hurting his development by loading too much responsibility on him at once than there is for helping his teammates.

Why would we put any extra pressure on the kid by putting him in the leadership group? Players should have at least a couple of solid years at senior level so that any extra duties like leadership are not a burden.

Giving the captaincy to the two young melbourne players recently was a great idea wasn't it? Now Roos sensibly gave it to an older experienced head.

Even if the other players like listening to him talk and would be happy for him to be in a leadership role. There is far more potential for hurting his development by loading too much responsibility on him at once than there is for helping his teammates.

I doubt Moore would be Reading BigFooty

I doubt Moore would be Reading BigFooty

Its not pressure from us the supporters. Its pressure on him having two jobs. one learning how to play football and settle in to a new club. Two having to help other players be better footballers. There are numerous examples of young players thrust into leadership earlier that hurt their development and when the leadership was taken away from them they suddenly became better footballers.

Its not pressure from us the supporters. Its pressure on him having two jobs. one learning how to play football and settle in to a new club. Two having to help other players be better footballers. There are numerous examples of young players thrust into leadership earlier that hurt their development and when the leadership was taken away from them they suddenly became better footballers.

Well I did say might hold off for a Few Years before he goes into leadership group

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore reminds me of Moore. Peter Moore had the ability to move around with great mobility while his upper body was extended in whichever direction. For a big man this was amazing to watch. I see the same gait in Darcy as he works a ball at low level and runs with pace. Very much looking forward to seeing the "Moore" persona grace a footy field again.

That's crap

Carey is a tier 1 APS School like the others mentioned. The fact your school receives some of it's rejects simply shows you the pecking order.

That's crap

Carey is a tier 1 APS School like the others mentioned. The fact your school receives some of it's rejects simply shows you the pecking order.
Oh snap!

Get ready for the elite school wars, yo! :D

I would be if I was an AFL player - its the best way of finding out information!
Though you kid, TBH, plenty of players talk about being dumbfounded at being released, when it's no great surprise to everyone in the wider football community, so obviously the feedback they were getting from the club wasn't sufficient to communicate the precarious position they were in at their clubs.

That being said, I'd suspect if anyone was going to read Bigfooty on behalf of these players it should be their managers, not them.

Moore reminds me of Moore. Peter Moore had the ability to move around with great mobility while his upper body was extended in whichever direction. For a big man this was amazing to watch. I see the same gait in Darcy as he works a ball at low level and runs with pace. Very much looking forward to seeing the "Moore" persona grace a footy field again.

Showed my 72 year old Dad some footage of Darcy today. Dad watched most of Peter's Collingwood games live and said the combo of mobility, size and athleticism very much reminded him of Peter.

Needless to say he is pretty stoked we took him with the f/s pick.

Personally, I love the way Darcy attacks the ball and runs with it or gets his hands in a good position to handball if he's tackled (on top of all his other attributes). There's just something very watchable about how he plays footy.

Though you kid, TBH, plenty of players talk about being dumbfounded at being released, when it's no great surprise to everyone in the wider football community, so obviously the feedback they were getting from the club wasn't sufficient to communicate the precarious position they were in at their clubs.

That being said, I'd suspect if anyone was going to read Bigfooty on behalf of these players it should be their managers, not them.
Their partners/family/mates would be all over this forum

That's crap

He is probably from Xavier.
That school has taken a battering recently.

Just on Darcy, Adidas only have a stable of 20 AFL players they exclusively supply.

Dale Thomas is one, Buddy is another. Adidas recently signed up Darcy and he is the only draftee of this year's intake with such a sponsorship with Adidas. Adidas believe he will be the most marketable player out of this year's crop.

Just on Darcy, Adidas only have a stable of 20 AFL players they exclusively supply.

Dale Thomas is one, Buddy is another. Adidas recently signed up Darcy and he is the only draftee of this year's intake with such a sponsorship with Adidas. Adidas believe he will be the most marketable player out of this year's crop.

Well thats mainly cause he is going to Collingwood. As if they would sign a player (eg Petracca) who is heading to St Kilda, Melbourne or GWS.

Well thats mainly cause he is going to Collingwood. As if they would sign a player (eg Petracca) who is heading to St Kilda, Melbourne or GWS.
Having a father who's a dual brown low medalist also helps.

He's a clean skin though, with natural talent and a huge desire to make the most of his AFL opportunity.

Of the top 10 picks though, as you've said, s**t.Kilda, Dees, GWS, Suns, Geelong and us have picks. He's a no brainer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back