Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not a forward pocket. He's just not. Continue to play him there and this is what you'll continue to get. Put him in the middle and you might get what you paid for.

So when can we get our money, pick and burton back. The bloke is a pea heart. Shows no ticker no fwd pressure and no will to compete. Paying a lot of money for these putrid efforts

He will come good. Has body issues atm and from the hit I saw today is struggling to fit into the gamestyle at the moment. He’s a perfect forward for a quick attacking style (when fit). He just seems sluggish at the moment.

I don’t agree that he’s a midfielder - he gets it but isn’t as damaging with his disposal further from goals.

You will know when he’s back as his defensive actions and second efforts really go up.

So when can we get our money, pick and burton back. The bloke is a pea heart. Shows no ticker no fwd pressure and no will to compete. Paying a lot of money for these putrid efforts
The so called 'pea heart' stood up pretty well in the second half!

He's not a forward pocket. He's just not. Continue to play him there and this is what you'll continue to get. Put him in the middle and you might get what you paid for.

Wingard has had no preseason, and his fitness is only just developing.
We’re just desperate to have him on the field.

Watch out for him in 3 to 4 weeks.

Oh look, another s**t post from you. I could act surprised, but I’m not.

Time you were sent to the same farm that Bradkli was.

You enjoying trolling the Hawthorn board?
Hope you get your red card soon.

Come on mods!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At halftime some posters lined him up for his effort(he hadn't done enough), yet at that stage of the game Chad had touched the ball more and laid more tackles than Roughead, Breust, Puopolo, Gunston and Lewis.

If these guys can't get their hands on the pill when we're playing so poorly, why do we expect the new guy to do it so easily?

Thought he did some good things without being fantastic. Really wanted him to kick it long to the goal square and try and force a behind when we led by 12 points with 4 mins left or whatever it was.
Totally agree with what should have been a long shot on goal. Even a rushed behind would have probably been the sealer. Hate running the clock down with too many minutes left on the clock. Tends to backfire and hand momentum back to the opposition. Though Wings 2nd half was immense.

Totally agree with what should have been a long shot on goal. Even a rushed behind would have probably been the sealer. Hate running the clock down with too many minutes left on the clock. Tends to backfire and hand momentum back to the opposition. Though Wings 2nd half was immense.
He did the percentage thing for the team.

If he takes the shot, and misses the entire team then has to brace for a coast to coast attempt from the kick in.

Even if he kicks it, the ball goes back to the middle, where Carlton had the advantage all day with a chance to score directly from the bounce and get some more belief/momentum.

By keeping possession of the ball and not taking the shot our destiny was in our hands. It was sticking to our one strength.

Please don’t feed the troll Malibu#27 - no one shares the opinion of this idiot. Chad is finding his feet in a new team and forward setup after an interrupted start and I’m sure there will be no regrets from anyone by year end

When Buddy started at the $wans they went 1-3 in their first four games - including a loss to a second year GWS side, and he was averaging 1.75 goals a game and came away with a donut in his fourth game.

I think we all know how his 2014 ended up.

Passing definitive judgement on a player after 4 games will more often than not make you look a little foolish.

When Buddy started at the $wans they went 1-3 in their first four games - including a loss to a second year GWS side, and he was averaging 1.75 goals a game and came away with a donut in his fourth game.

I think we all know how his 2014 ended up.

Passing definitive judgement on a player after 4 games will more often than not make you look a little foolish
But that's the BF way!

Heck, even blokes like Tom Browne have made a career out of it!

When he was playing for you guys, what role was he playing when he won his two AA and B&F?
Forward pocket, although our slingshot game plan back then meant the role involved pushing through the midfield and exploiting the chaos and space when the ball was turned over and we'd be streaming forward.

My opinion only but in those first couple years although he was lightly built, it meant he was more agile and had quicker burst speed to get that all important separation on his opponent.*

Now he seems more solid so his physical attributes probably lend themselves more to a midfield role.

*with that said I'd prefer the more lightly framed Chad return so we get to see more of this: :thumbsu:

Forward pocket, although our slingshot game plan back then meant the role involved pushing through the midfield and exploiting the chaos and space when the ball was turned over and we'd be streaming forward.

My opinion only but in those first couple years although he was lightly built, it meant he was more agile and had quicker burst speed to get that all important separation on his opponent.*

Now he seems more solid so his physical attributes probably lend themselves more to a midfield role.

*with that said I'd prefer the more lightly framed Chad return so we get to see more of this: :thumbsu:

Did you ever start to doubt Wingard? Did Port supporters start to doubt him? Did he frustrate?

Thanks..

Did you ever start to doubt Wingard? Did Port supporters start to doubt him? Did he frustrate?

Thanks..
Wingard was like the wayward son that could do no wrong with 90% of Port supporters. We mostly blamed the coaching staff for not playing him in the midfield, and were frustrated that he was going cold in the forward pocket (especially since our game plan meant the forward line typically had 40 men crowding it and he had zero room to move).

Early on in the year a poster with a connection to our fitness team made comments on his lack of effort in this department, but most found it hard to criticise Wingard since he still performed in the best half dozen at the club once he was moved to a midfield role.

In hindsight there ended up being a lot of fire where that smoke came from and we all know the rest. While he let his standards slip, at the end of the day you'll have a handful of these kind of talents go through your club every generation and it was the coaching staff's job to bring the best out of him, which they failed to do. Additional frustration as it meant his trade currency was at an all time low when he was traded, and although obviously happy with how Duursma, Burton and Rozee are panning out, a 2014 Chad should have required Pick 1 in a trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back