Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Ethan Phillips. 2024 SSP.

Remove this Banner Ad

The most enjoyable thing about Lake at the Hawks, apart from his footballing ability, was watching him put the fear of god into Tom Hawkins. He genuinely shat his pants when playing on Lakey
Im not sure what game it was but Hawkins was roughing up Stratten near the boundary line one day. Lake trotted over to intervene and Hawkins did his best impersonation of Cale Morton :p

Was time for Lake to move on from the Bulldogs. McEvoy though, I still cannot wrap my head around that decision.
We had already agreed terms with a young ruck (longer iirc?), so the saints thought they’d swoop in and get him by offloading McEvoy. Didn’t quite work out very well for them.

We had already agreed terms with a young ruck (longer iirc?), so the saints thought they’d swoop in and get him by offloading McEvoy. Didn’t quite work out very well for them.
The fact that the Saints were willing to turf a person of Mcevoy's calibre tells you everything you need to know about that club

The type of guy you'd want next to you in the trenches for sure. We're using a sickeningly small amount of bandages around the club these days...
Mitch Lewis uses his fair share though.

It’s the way it might have to be for the foreseeable future. Opposition teams will see the injury and depth problems we’ve had down back and go tall to stretch us…
During match simulation and intra club, the 7 defenders used in the “A” team were Blanck, Sicily, Frost, Scrimshaw, Weddle, Amon and Impey.
Phillips takes Blanck role as they’ve been training all pre season for this defensive structure and means Frost is part of the group, like he had been all pre season.

During match simulation and intra club, the 7 defenders used in the “A” team were Blanck, Sicily, Frost, Scrimshaw, Weddle, Amon and Impey.
Phillips takes Blanck role as they’ve been training all pre season for this defensive structure and means Frost is part of the group, like he had been all pre season.
D'Ambrosio will line up down back r1. It's almost banked.

I thought I heard rob mccartney say somewhere that frost and blanck were fighting for one spot. With ethan Phillips marking I think we do play him and frost together though.

I thought I heard rob mccartney say somewhere that frost and blanck were fighting for one spot. With ethan Phillips marking I think we do play him and frost together though.
I think you heard wrong.

No way known our Head of Football would comment publicly on whether there are two players fighting for one spot.

That would be unprofessional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, Lake went 1 better than that, he'd just mark it and get us into counter attack.

The shift in my mood from hoping Shoenmakers can at least get a spoil on Hawkins and not concede a mark and goal to, trusting that Lake will win the contest and we'll be sending the ball the other way.
I'll die on the hill that Schoe was making it as a defender pre ACL

I'll die on the hill that Schoe was making it as a defender pre ACL
I was just so glad that two of my favourite journeymen, Schoe and Spangher, were able to get a premiership with us.

I think you heard wrong.

No way known our Head of Football would comment publicly on whether there are two players fighting for one spot.

That would be unprofessional.

If you listen from 3:40. He says Sam Frost was competing with Blanck for the full back spot.

If you listen from 3:40. He says Sam Frost was competing with Blanck for the full back spot.

Not quite as cut and dried - when talking about our defensive stocks he actually said “Sam Frost was in some ways competing with James for that position”.

My take is that he feels Sam could play there but it will require a reshuffle given ideally Sam would be more of a hybrid.

I certainly don’t think it was put along the lines of only one of them would be in the full strength side. That would be pretty blunt.

No disrespect to Blanck, or DGB for that matter, but the thought that Hawthorns season has been thrown into disarray is a little overblown.

We need two serviceable talls to pair with Sicily who is the best in the game. Frost is experienced and serviceable. Phillips is going to be the hungriest player in the AFL. If those two are a downgrade it is not by much if at all.

Last edited:
Especially as no weddle or CJ either

Not quite as cut and dried - when talking about our defensive stocks he actually said “Sam Frost was in some ways competing with James for that position”.

My take is that he feels Sam could play there but it will require a reshuffle given ideally Sam would be more of a hybrid.

I certainly don’t think it was put along the lines of only one of them would be in the full strength side. That would be pretty blunt.
About as close as your gonna get to cut and dried in footy talk. They were competing for the full back spot, neither of them play anywhere else. Irrelevant now but don’t think we would’ve played them both unless there were injuries to others.

About as close as your gonna get to cut and dried in footy talk. They were competing for the full back spot, neither of them play anywhere else. Irrelevant now but don’t think we would’ve played them both unless there were injuries to others.
Yet in 2023 they played in the same backline for the majority of the season. Ethan coming onto the list isn’t going to put Frost under the pump for a spot

We are better off playing Phillips as KD with Sic, Scrim and Weddle helping out in zone defence than playing Frost. Makes us more mobile and better kicks. Then have Amon, Mass and Impey as more running attacking types. I would still have Hardwick back there but see where they play him

How did he go on Saturday? I haven't had a chance to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back