Game Day Round 2, 2024: Hawthorn v Melbourne, MCG 4.35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
War Attack GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

HAWKS BY PLENTY

Melbourne are no doubt a top tier side so it will be hard to measure this one on the scoreboard. I’ll be interested in a few things:

- How the midfield responds. We were poor in clearances and many players didn’t play to the standard we have come to expect.

- Despite the above we had 19 marks inside 50 which has us equal 3rd highest result in the season so far. Melbourne have a far better back line and won’t allow this but I’ll be very interested to see what this number is at the end of the game. Shows both that our delivery inside 50 and forward line are working well.

- Ruck. Say what you want about Reeves but he needs help today against Gawn. Nash doesn’t need to hit the stats sheet but would like to see some body on Gawn. Make him earn it.

My main takeaway from last week and Mitchell's commentary of it is that we're not too concerned about the loss last weak. i.e. minor changes required, not a massive overhaul. The lack of changes to the squad kinda confirms that.

I hope this is the right read of things. Really want to see some creativity through that midfield. Worps and Nash don't have it. Newcombe makes things happen when he gets space.

I just really don't want to see Lever and Gawn taking 10 intercept marks each.

Interestingly - on the Melbourne board they're a bit sick of Lever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back