Welcome to Hawthorn - Tom Mitchell - 2018 Brownlow medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be announced his preferred home in the next few days

Given the mass exodus at the Giants, surely we could be offering him there, paying the first $500k of his salary for two years and going after their first pick for our second or third?

Given the mass exodus at the Giants, surely we could be offering him there, paying the first $500k of his salary for two years and going after their first pick for our second or third?
They are rebuilding, they are not trading that pick for a near 30 year old.

They also are okay with losing Hopper/Taranto in part because they have Green, Coniglio, Kelly, Finn.

Love it.

Stratton24 v BigHawk23.

Bold statements for sure.

More people are wrong than right at this time of year.
Not a criticism, just how it is.
Hence why I have learnt to just go with the flow here and see what actually happens.

Would prefer he goes this trade period - as unless he develops a different side to his game or an extra yard (or 4) of pace I can't see him being offered a new deal at the end of next year and his value out of contract will be even less than it is now.

Would prefer he goes this trade period - as unless he develops a different side to his game or an extra yard (or 4) of pace I can't see him being offered a new deal at the end of next year and his value out of contract will be even less than it is now.
We have seen clubs offer up big money if it means they do not have to part with draft picks themself.

Vickery, McStay ect

We have seen clubs offer up big money if it means they do not have to part with draft picks themself.

Vickery, McStay ect

They're both free agents though. Mitchell would not be a FA next season.

They are rebuilding, they are not trading that pick for a near 30 year old.

They also are okay with losing Hopper/Taranto in part because they have Green, Coniglio, Kelly, Finn.

They are rebuilding by getting rid of the younger players to keep the older ones??? Ok....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are rebuilding by getting rid of the younger players to keep the older ones??? Ok....
The ones that want out on inflated contracts, with value when they have no cap space in a position they have depth in

Plays a reduced role and still finishes top 5 in the bnf. Well done tom of finding a way to make it work!

Not sure how we win by getting a second or third round pick for Mitchell. I’ve said this before but we should try to hold onto him particularly if O’Meara is traded to GWS. Now if we could package them together for a first round pick that would be worthwhile…

Not sure how we win by getting a second or third round pick for Mitchell. I’ve said this before but we should try to hold onto him particularly if O’Meara is traded to GWS. Now if we could package them together for a first round pick that would be worthwhile…
Yeah there is some sense in keeping him if we trade out omeara.

In hindsight it seems S.Mitchell was always happy to part with T.Mitchell. Given that, i wonder whether we would ahve been better playing him in the guts all year, inflating his stats and increasing his trade value?
His price isnt going to increase enough to outweigh the development of Newc,Ward, Mac, Moore, Finn ETC

Just wanted to say thanks to Tom for the excellent service he has given over his time at the club.

Brownlow medalist, Leigh Matthews trophy winner, two times AA, 3 times Club Best and Fairest.

That's a hell of a record! And all for pick 14, what a steal 😃

Been nothing but an absolute professional and was one of the few (only?) players over the last 6 years who turned up and played at his best every single week.

Had an excellent career at Hawthorn, with a Brownlow medal and 3 Best & Fairests. Our most consistent player over the last half decade, which hasn't been a good period for the club.

I do wonder what might have been if he had not busted his leg. Was 2018 always going to be a career year or would he have sustained that level? We will never know but while he came back and won another B&F, he was never quite the same player. Never a high impact player, his impact was less after the injury.

I am comfortable with the decision to back in youth, but accepting a VFL player and 2 third rounders was a poor bit of business. I think he still has some good footy in him, and expect him to do well at Collingwood and prove a massive steal. Wish him well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back