Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

That story is from 2013, put 2 years on that it makes him 14 turning 15 next year so 3years is about right maybe 4 depending when his birthday is.

Dean Rioli tweeted that MJ was eligible in 3 years so I'd go off him rather than the article.

MJ born 2002 mate.

can see him not living up to the hype now after getting 17 and this being a fail

then traded in 3 years

"it was probably a bit too much to be bonest, me wearing #17" presser for new club :drunk:

can see him not living up to the hype now after getting 17 and this being a fail

then traded in 3 years

"it was probably a bit too much to be bonest, me wearing #17" presser for new club :drunk:
Who's bonest?

chazz-reinhold-1-o.gif

Gee I hope he works hard and does incredibly well because that 17 will be like a target on his back....I'm a little worried for the young man TBH.....

Just seems too much attention to be paid to someone so new who has not had a week of his first preseason yet, or as much as a practice match at AFL level....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People need to relaise he wasn't given 17 but offered it. he went away and spoke to his family etc.. before accepting it. He obviously realise the pressure that comes with it and obviously welcomes it. Look fwd to seeing Daniel make his own name for himself in the yellow and black. We've screamed for a genuine small fwd, we now have one and that is exciting for us as a club.

People need to relaise he wasn't given 17 but offered it. he went away and spoke to his family etc.. before accepting it. He obviously realise the pressure that comes with it and obviously welcomes it. Look fwd to seeing Daniel make his own name for himself in the yellow and black. We've screamed for a genuine small fwd, we now have one and that is exciting for us as a club.

No-one's blaming him. He's a kid.
Everyone hopes he'll be a gun, and in time he may play to a level that justifies (not justified him being given now) that jumper.

That level is very, very high.

Pretty stupid analogy
Its special treatment, he shouldn't get it

His grandfather won a norm smith medal for this club, that makes Daniel special, and he should be treated that way, just like Steve Morris was.

I dont think there would be a player on the list who would hold a grudge against the kid playing in his pop's jumper from day one. Oh but what about the poor feral supporters. Anyway it is done now, those that dont like it can suck lemons.

His grandfather won a norm smith medal for this club, that makes Daniel special, and he should be treated that way, just like Steve Morris was.

I dont think there would be a player on the list who would hold a grudge against the kid playing in his pop's jumper from day one. Oh but what about the poor feral supporters. Anyway it is done now, those that dont like it can suck lemons.

I've no plans to picket the Club or spill the board on the back of the decision. But I don't agree with the decision to offer it to him at this time

I'd say the same thing if we were talking about a KPD taken at pick 60 who was Brodders' nephew

We took him because of his name.
This just confirms it.
I feel sorry for the kid,Not his fault.So much pressure so early on.

Are you being sarcastic? It confirms nothing of the sort. The only people putting pressure on him will be the fans and they shouldn't be because it's totally counter productive. Dimma has already openly stated he's going to take time. If we were desperate to bring a Rioli to the club, we could have drafted Ben Rioli with our final pick.

We took him because of his name.
This just confirms it.
I feel sorry for the kid,Not his fault.So much pressure so early on.

Disagree. We took him as he was the best small at our pick still there.

Also its not the kids fault, the club is just honoring Maurice legacy to offer the option for his blood kin to wear his number he wore with distinction. It is not like it has not been done before at many clubs that the son wears the fathers/grand fathers number.

Also the other big reason we recruited Daniel was his ability to prove he had the self discipline to improve his fitness and skill level to not only excel but smash everyone at the combine, it shows he wants to succeed and IMO he will.

But Maurice wasn't his Grandfather.:p

then traded in 3 years

* off boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back