Past Callum Sinclair - retired 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

ZslCYQFE.jpg

Callum Sinclair

Player Profile

Callum Sinclair was traded from the West Coast Eagles to the Sydney Swans ahead of season 2016 and has since played vital roles as a key forward and ruckman. Over his first two seasons at the Swans he played primarily as a forward as Kurt Tippett and Sam Naismith carried the ruck load, but the retirement of Tippett and Naismith’s ACL rupture left him with the chief ruck duties in 2018 and 2019. That was until he dislocated his right shoulder twice in Round 15, an injury that ended his season. Sinclair banked a stellar 2020 pre-season campaign and has a burning desire to play every game at the top level this year. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (West Coast) No. 12; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (West Coast); 2015 AFL Draft traded by West Coast for Lewis Jetta.

Callum Sinclair

DOB: 23 September 1989
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Port Melb (VFL)/Subiaco (WAFL)/WCE

Last edited:
I don't see how three rucks can be played. You have one in the ruck and one at FF but what do you do with the other?

Have I introduced you to Horse?

You can never have too many talls.

Just watched his interview. Will be a great team player I reckon. Can't wait to see him and tippett

The epitome of a team player

Sinclair's downfall is he isn't exactly a decent ruckman

His best for us was that when spelling Nic he didn't get monstered - but he isn't the type to give positive momentum

However he has the heart of a lion and moves around the ground well and can take a decent pluck. For mine he is better up the ground then he is closer to goal.

One of those trades from a WC perspective - sad to see him go because he is heart and soul - but understand that he probably doesn't have a role in our side anymore.

but understand that he probably doesn't have a role in our side anymore.

I doubt you can categorically say that, but he would have had had to fight for his spot, definitely. I think thats probably a reason that we targetted Sinclair when Jetta wanted to go home, because he was attainable, for the right price.

Sinclair's downfall is he isn't exactly a decent ruckman

His best for us was that when spelling Nic he didn't get monstered - but he isn't the type to give positive momentum

He is definitely not a number 1 Ruckman, But in a mobile partnership with tippett, we loose nothing in the forward line as one will always play resting. Perfect with the sub removed.

I am hoping for a serviceable Ruckman, that has potential to be damaging around the ground. Making the other ruckman accountable when he drifts forward.

The epitome of a team player

However he has the heart of a lion and moves around the ground well and can take a decent pluck. For mine he is better up the ground then he is closer to goal..

Jep. I reckon a good Ruckman to have around our squad that can show Nanker & Naismith how to work for a debut.

P.s. As an r3/r4 option, Giles was a good pick up to replace Sinclair as a squad player! Especially if he finds his GWS form

I doubt you can categorically say that, but he would have had had to fight for his spot, definitely. I think thats probably a reason that we targetted Sinclair when Jetta wanted to go home, because he was attainable, for the right price.

P.s. As an r3/r4 option, Giles was a good pick up to replace Sinclair as a squad player! Especially if he finds his GWS form

From Simmo's comments earlier in the year and Vozzo's comment recently - it looks to me like our ruck combo will be NN and McGovern.

Love sinclair - but he isn't in McGovern's class around the ground. This will require of course Nic being able to ruck more than 55% of the game.

Expectations are very low for Giles - hopefully he keeps pressure on Lycett and improves his worth so if he gets moved on again - we get more than the pittance we paid.

Ultimately though - he is a good insurance policy for our list. As much as Mcgovern or McInnes might be able to ruck in parts - they aren't 1st rucks.

Sinclair is a bit inbetween - not exactly a 1st ruck - but ok at a pinch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And runs like a midfielder opposed to a galloping rhino. Goldstein like and if he turns out to be 80% the player Goldstein is he will do the job the club need him to especially with Tippett relieving him for spells.

Not being a bitter eagles fan but Sinc's was a mature ager and at 26 i doubt he will end up being anywhere near goldsteins standard. Tho he might become a solid ruckmen that could be a premiership player with the swans. was suprised why the swans wanted him over lycett. Lycett had poorer year but that was due to injuries and niggles. But when it comes to who is a better overall ruckmen he is a much better #1 ruckmen and a forward and is very quick/agile for his size and has a pretty good endurance. He was brought in as a late replacement (no sinclair as well) v hawks this year and against hale and mcavoy he had 40 hitouts , 20 disposals (17 contested), 7 clearances and 7 tackles. For that reason and the fact that is 23, i was a bit surprised why swans didnt want him.

Personally i was a bit upset to see sinclair go as he was a very good back up ruckmen for nic nat but im happy that lycett is a good number ruckmen and he because he is pretty young, his complementary rucking role could be developed.

Good luck to sinclair at sydney and all you swans have a very good player and a very good person.

From Simmo's comments earlier in the year and Vozzo's comment recently - it looks to me like our ruck combo will be NN and McGovern.

Love sinclair - but he isn't in McGovern's class around the ground. This will require of course Nic being able to ruck more than 55% of the game.

Expectations are very low for Giles - hopefully he keeps pressure on Lycett and improves his worth so if he gets moved on again - we get more than the pittance we paid.

Ultimately though - he is a good insurance policy for our list. As much as Mcgovern or McInnes might be able to ruck in parts - they aren't 1st rucks.

Sinclair is a bit inbetween - not exactly a 1st ruck - but ok at a pinch.

we signed Lycett for 4 years last year because how much upside he has and how much they rated him. I doubt they will leave him out of squad as he is a very good player when fit. He had some injuries and niggles that derailed his year and gave sinclair the opportunity. But unlucky sinclair he gain us momemntum when nic nat is on the bench or injured and also is a decent forward. Gov is a gun but i think simmo was joking a bit when he said gov wants to play ruck men (tho he might be the one in line after lycett or giles). Gov also gives 5 to 10cm of height and 5 to 15kgs of weight away to most ruckmen and will get monstered. I can see people want gov to be a forward/ruck like a jenkins or tippet, but both those guys are 200cm tall and +105kgs tall, compared to gov who is 195cm tall and 96kgs.

I am really excited to see lycett in 2015 and i think he is in line for a break out year next year.

Not being a bitter eagles fan but Sinc's was a mature ager and at 26 i doubt he will end up being anywhere near goldsteins standard. Tho he might become a solid ruckmen that could be a premiership player with the swans. was suprised why the swans wanted him over lycett. Lycett had poorer year but that was due to injuries and niggles. But when it comes to who is a better overall ruckmen he is a much better #1 ruckmen and a forward and is very quick/agile for his size and has a pretty good endurance. He was brought in as a late replacement (no sinclair as well) v hawks this year and against hale and mcavoy he had 40 hitouts , 20 disposals (17 contested), 7 clearances and 7 tackles. For that reason and the fact that is 23, i was a bit surprised why swans didnt want him.

Personally i was a bit upset to see sinclair go as he was a very good back up ruckmen for nic nat but im happy that lycett is a good number ruckmen and he because he is pretty young, his complementary rucking role could be developed.

Good luck to sinclair at sydney and all you swans have a very good player and a very good person.

Sydney did speak to Lycett. He probably wasnt interested in moving where as Longmire has said the Callum jumped at the opportunity. At the end of the day i think Tippett will still be our number 1 ruck which he plays well with Sinkers second ruck rotating in the forward line.

we signed Lycett for 4 years last year because how much upside he has and how much they rated him. I doubt they will leave him out of squad as he is a very good player when fit. He had some injuries and niggles that derailed his year and gave sinclair the opportunity. But unlucky sinclair he gain us momemntum when nic nat is on the bench or injured and also is a decent forward. Gov is a gun but i think simmo was joking a bit when he said gov wants to play ruck men (tho he might be the one in line after lycett or giles). Gov also gives 5 to 10cm of height and 5 to 15kgs of weight away to most ruckmen and will get monstered. I can see people want gov to be a forward/ruck like a jenkins or tippet, but both those guys are 200cm tall and +105kgs tall, compared to gov who is 195cm tall and 96kgs.

I am really excited to see lycett in 2015 and i think he is in line for a break out year next year.
Not quite sure the govs body would hold up in the ruck. Chronic soft tissue injuries in his legs playing as a defender

Not quite sure the govs body would hold up in the ruck. Chronic soft tissue injuries in his legs playing as a defender
I wouldnt say chronic injures, more like Gov is a bit soft and his conditioning isnt that great. He has had minor hamstring injuries that at first look to be serious (4weeks min) but comes back in 2 weeks cause it wasnt as bad as first thought.

Sydney did speak to Lycett. He probably wasnt interested in moving where as Longmire has said the Callum jumped at the opportunity. At the end of the day i think Tippett will still be our number 1 ruck which he plays well with Sinkers second ruck rotating in the forward line.

Yeah sinclair at first didnt really want to leave, i guess the pay kinda of lured him in. Lycett i think wants to be loyal to us concidering we have put alot of time into developing him or he still has ideas of going back to SA.

Yeah sinclair at first didnt really want to leave, i guess the pay kinda of lured him in. Lycett i think wants to be loyal to us concidering we have put alot of time into developing him or he still has ideas of going back to SA.

My take from the outside looking in was that he was never against the move...more that he was taken by surprise at the offer (he was still off with the team doing the end of year thing).

I guess when we finally got to talk with him and tell him how much we wanted him, he became very keen.

My take from the outside looking in was that he was never against the move...more that he was taken by surprise at the offer (he was still off with the team doing the end of year thing).

I guess when we finally got to talk with him and tell him how much we wanted him, he became very keen.
Yeah and the fact he wouldnt have got a deal close to that at the eagles. Also the amount of time and resources given to Lycett in the last few years would have meant that deep down he would have known that theres no room for both (especially if lycett gets fit and does get to his best). Looking back it was a win for both clubs as well as sinclair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back